PDA

View Full Version : repairing sennelier la carte paper

painted-portraits
01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Hello,
I am new to this site and first wanted to say this is a great place. My question is I have a spot on my paper about the size of a quarter that got wet and the texture came off the paper so i was wondering if anybody has ever repaired this type of paper. I was thinking I could scrape some texture off of a new peice but wasn't sure what type of glue would be o.k. to use
Thanks for any help, Jon

SweetBabyJ
01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
You can get some Golden Acrylic Pumice gel and, with a small watercolour brush, dab a bit of it into the offending spot, wait for it to dry and do it again. This'll work, although you have to be very careful not to get that moisture elsewhere, and there'll be a slight "edge" to that area you may have to deal with- as in hope it's not in an area which is supposed to be nice and smooth.

Good luck- LaCarte is a fairly good surface, but you've just experienced its most major drawback, and the reason most of us who like sanded papers use Wallis.

Scorpio
01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Hello,
I am new to this site and first wanted to say this is a great place. My question is I have a spot on my paper about the size of a quarter that got wet and the texture came off the paper so i was wondering if anybody has ever repaired this type of paper. I was thinking I could scrape some texture off of a new peice but wasn't sure what type of glue would be o.k. to use
Thanks for any help, Jon

Hi Jon,

I am very new to this site too. It is a great spot, isn't it? I've never used la carte paper--is it sanded? Art Spectrum makes a product called art spectrum pastel primer that you can paint on heavier paper to make a sanded ground.

I have used this to paint over an overworked spot, and it works well. You can't even tell once you have applied new pastel over the repair. Not sure how it would look on your paper though--I think I would try it on a scrap piece to be sure.

Deborah Secor
01-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Yep, I've used the Spectrum primer to fix just what you mention. I carefully painted it in place over the spot using a brush and let it dry thoroughly, then used a bit of fine grit sandpaper to smooth the edge into the La Carte fibers, and reworked the area in pastels over it. It was nearly invisible when done--though quite risky and scary since I had sold the portrait (of a dog) to this woman and she returned with the damaged piece. It'll work...but go slowly and carefully!

Hope this helps...welcome to our forum! :)

Deborah