PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher, January 10 - 16

Pat Isaac
01-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the Oil Gusher! If you've never posted here before, consider this a special invitation to you to stop in and post, we'd really like to get to know you !

It's been fun to share our artwork, and now we have a place to get to know each other a little better, and share all that other interesting stuff that happens in our daily lives.

Tell us about yourself, your family (two or four-legged) and your ups and downs, or your in betweens.

The "Oil Gusher" is not the place to discuss politics, religion or our philosophies about life. WetCanvas provides both public and private chatrooms and a Debate forum for our members for this type of lengthy discussion. We want to make this a place for gentle camaraderie .

Please do join us!
:) :) :)

Pat Isaac
01-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi all,

Monday morning and it is still cloudy, but no matter as it promises to brighten.
My sister from New York just left after being here for the weekend. We had a nice visit. Now, I plan on going to my studio and doing a lot of painting this week, as there is not much on the docket for the week.
I did start working on my web site at the end of last week. Has anyone put up a web site using .mac and contribute 3??? If so I could use any knowledge that you have.

Have a happy day.

Pat :wave:

Mikki Petersen
01-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi Pat! And good to see our "other half" here on the Talk Forum!

I use a PC so can offer no help to you on your web building. You might drop over to the Computer and Tech Forum. They can surely help.

We had 4 inches of rain over the weekend and it knocked out our phone service which just came back on. Got lots of painting done with no phone interuptions and no access to the internet but I felt more cut off by not being able to get o the internet than by not having a phone. :D

Happy Painting!
MIkki

artbyjune
01-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Just checking in. mainly as a reminder to myself to get my pastels out of their box and into my hands.

I've been rather busy with ATCs.

And then there was New Year. No excuse now. Better make a start on art!!
Cheers all.

meowmeow
01-10-2005, 03:42 PM
So this is where the oilies hang out! :D Nice to be able to drop in easily and say hello and check up on all of you!

Sandy

Pat Isaac
01-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Yup, this is where we are and hopefully we can now cross chat.
Mikki, I never thought of that. Duh...I'll check out the computer forum.
The sun was out here for about 30 minutes today and now it's gone again. At least it is dry and not having all the rain that you have Mikki. You guys have really been deluged!!! :eek:

Pat

Mikki Petersen
01-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Sun???? What's that? Oh yeah! That bright light that used to be in the sky...so that's where it went. Did I mention it's still raining? Southern CA got 12 inches over the weekend so mudslides are the big news. Why I don't know since they have mudslides everytime it rains. We have two ponds in the neighborhood (Californians call them lakes :rolleyes: ) that are threatening to flood the road. If they do we will be cut off from the outside world until they dry up... I always find it amusing when Californians say that Seattle is an awful place where it rains all the time. Here, if we are luck, it rains almost constantly for 5 months and then dries up for 7 months with no precipitation at all and finally culminates in horrific forest fires. That's better?

ColorMyWorld
01-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Being in the middle I seem to be getting a little bit of both coasts. They say tonight we are to get rain turning to sleet turning to snow. Which translates to a morning rush hour with ice under the snow. Yippy! Ever been car-sledding!

prestonsega
01-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Am I the only one that is thinking this is silly???? Sounded like a good idea at first,,,now it is comical!!!

Deborah Secor
01-10-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm a stay-at-home artist but I was in 'rush' hour traffic the other day and found myself wondering when the 'rush' part would start?!? Seemed we were creeping far more then rushing anywhere... and ice would add a whole new dimension of fun, especially here in NM where no one (including me <---former Californian) knows how to drive in snow.

I like what you all have done to the place over here--nice paintings on your walls, great colors. :wink2: C'mon over and see the dust in our scumble sometime, too.

Preston, dear, what are you referring to??? There are multiple candidates for silliness...um, and comical? The snow? The rain? Cars on ice? What? (Slow old lady brain here, I guess......... :rolleyes: )

Deborah

CarlyHardy
01-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi all, this week promises to be another great week for plein air painting. Tomorrow I'll be out and about finding a new location!!

Had an interesting thing happen this weekend. I had three paintings accepted to a show in a small town north of me (all soft pastels). Friday afternoon I got a call on my answering machine that said...."one of your paintings got broke during hanging. We are sorry but it looks like the painting is fine but the glass is missing". I went to the reception and saw my paintings hanging from across the room and thought "maybe they got a new piece of glass". Upon closer inspection, I realized that they had hung the pastel "without" the glass!! The director of the gallery saw me and smiled, waved me over and said..."I'm so glad your painting wasn't damaged when the glass broke. We were able to hang it after all!!"

Then I said, do you realize that this is a soft pastel? and if anyone decided to touch it, that the painting will be ruined? I'm sorry but you'll have to take it down after the reception and I'll take it home with me." She said that was ok, but she was amazed that I wouldn't want to leave it hanging for the next six weeks in the gallery.

She is a gallery director....but did not know how fragile a soft pastel can be. She thought that I should just "spray" it and it would be fine. I brought it home and left her a replacement to hang if she wanted to do that :)

I did get some really nice comments from viewers but didn't win any prizes :( Maybe next year!

carly

prestonsega
01-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Preston, dear, what are you referring to??? There are multiple candidates for silliness...um, and comical? The snow? The rain? Cars on ice? What? (Slow old lady brain here, I guess......... )

lol...guess you're right, Dee....it is as if I was posting only a part of what I was thinking..... :rolleyes:

I was referring to there being 2 "non art" discussion threads,,side by side....sorta reminds me of the days of racial segregation.....Now if you recall, I was one of the persons whose input was to move the oil gusher,,,,,so I guess I am laughing at myself... :D

Deborah Secor
01-10-2005, 10:45 PM
<giggle> Maybe in time we will gush and scumble together, ya never know! Right now we all need to get acquainted and it works to have two threads--double the fun. But I want to ask everyone here to post their falling snow pix too! (See scumble for details.) (And no, I am not trying to steal people away--I just need pictures!!!)

Deborah

prestonsega
01-10-2005, 11:12 PM
"gush and scumble"

Dee, I like that title,,hmmm.... I, like some others, work in both oils and pastels and my supporting the move was due to my laziness,,(now that is lazy when I won't press 2 extra keys to get to another forum ) Like I said, I miss the days when we were combined before we got too big.... Other web sites wish they had our problems...excessive popularity!!!!! :D

And sorry, no snow pics from us Georgians. I jokingly said 2 weeks ago that the birds were confused...Well..yesterday I found a tiny bird egg that had fallen out of its nest!!!!! ....birds aren't supposed to be nesting during the month of January in the northern hemisphere!!

Carly.....I know your heart jumped to your throat when you realized there was no glass over the soft pastel painting!!!!! What a story!!

Ann...Good luck with the car sledding.

Mikki Petersen
01-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Carly...I wish you were not serious, but I can just see that happening. I have also watched viewers in galleries go up to paintings and run their fingers across them so your painting could so easily have been ruined. So glad it was not. Isn't it interesting how many people who know what pastels are also "know" that you spray the heck out of them to preserve them? Just think how many newbie posts ask what fixitive to use... :rolleyes: And even if you did "fix" a painting, it would not stand up to being touched!

Do oil pastels go under glass as well? Do they eventually set up?

Lucky us...another 2 feet of snow in the Sierras tonight and heavy rain in the foothills where we are. Now they are talking of danger of mudslides in the Sierras! One of the major freeways heading East was closed down for two days on avalanche watch and that was last Friday and Saturday. Then there's those jokers who come on the news to tell us that all this precip does not mean the end of the drought?

Where are all the oil pastel folks...so far it's mostly us traditional pastelists talking here. Did everyone get lost on the way to this forum?

Pat Isaac
01-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks, Preston. I didn't know what you were talking about either. lol
Hey, Mikki. I am an oillie! It's true though that I don't see many of the others, busy maybe.
I like that...scumble and gush together.
Ann that stuff you are having is coming our way tonight. Ugh.
Carly what an experience! It always amazes me how many times I run into people in the art field who don't know the properties of some of the media they handle. I have a horror story about one of my commissioned OP portraits. The client took it to a framer to be framed and I received a call from the framer wanting to knnow what I had put on the painting because when they framed it it was sort of ruined. I went to look at it and found they had dry mounted it!!!!Yikes..it melted. Needless to say I could barely control my anger. Original artwork should never be drymounted and this was a longstanding reputable framer. Fortunately, the drawing was still there so I did it again and the framer paid me also. Next time I went there, that person was no longer working there......
Back later..
:wave:

ColorMyWorld
01-11-2005, 08:43 AM
I've adopted the habit of putting a coat of gel medium on my finished OPs and they are fine against a light touch.

Where are all the oil pastel folks...so far it's mostly us traditional pastelists talking here. Did everyone get lost on the way to this forum?
What's that play? "A funny thing happened on the way to the forum"

Pat Isaac
01-11-2005, 05:04 PM

I always frame my OPs under glass. They never dry, but eventually do set up. I usually mat them, but if not I use spacers so the picture is not against the glass.

pat

CarlyHardy
01-11-2005, 10:40 PM
LOL!! here we are in the chat thread and still talking technical stuff :D

I've framed mine under glass if they are done on paper, but the ones I've done on canvas, I put a light coat of acrylic medium over them so that touching won't harm the painting. Acrylic medium is porous so the oil pastels will still harden naturally over time.

If some of you would like to see a painting that I did of snow in soft pastels using "white spray paint" over it to give the illusion of wind driven snow....it's in the Scumble where the conversation there is more about the weather.

Hey...I like having the Gusher and Scumble side by side....sure makes it easier to drop in to both :D
carly

prestonsega
01-12-2005, 01:17 AM
I have entered the new year feeling as if for once in my life I am on the cutting edge of technology....(well,,maybe not cutting edge, but at least I am not left behind as usual)...I am officially an untethered, wireless notebook user!!!!!!! So cool to just pick up the puter and go anywhere in the house or yard and no wires!...lol Hey, I even installed it myself without having to call tech support more than 1 time :D

Mikki Petersen
01-12-2005, 02:05 AM
Preston, isn't that the coolest thing! My daughter has wireless set up for her house. I just love visiting with my laptop because I can find a quiet little place anywhere in the house or yard to snuggle down with my puter. Congrats on the install too!

Pat Isaac
01-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Hooray for you, Preston. That is next on my wish list. A laptop, so I can take it to my studio and look at reference pics and play around with them compositionally for paintings. Not sure I can do the internet there though as the phone lines are set up for business and each call would be charged.

Pat

BeckyMc
01-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Hey - my little sister got a digital camera and has posted her first watercolor!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242521

Hope that link works....

For all you weather folks, it's hot and icky here, I'm dying in my winter clothes at work and I've taken to wearing my sandals again. I'd love some cool, even cold air!

Kathryn Wilson
01-13-2005, 07:52 AM
I have entered the new year feeling as if for once in my life I am on the cutting edge of technology....(well,,maybe not cutting edge, but at least I am not left behind as usual)...I am officially an untethered, wireless notebook user!!!!!!! So cool to just pick up the puter and go anywhere in the house or yard and no wires!...lol Hey, I even installed it myself without having to call tech support more than 1 time :D

How cool is that, Preston! How long a range does the wireless have? I would kill to be able to take my computer to the studio instead of running back and forth.

Mikki Petersen
01-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Have you all been following the Tsunami Relief Project? They already have collected over $3000 in sales and Dick Blick is going to match the donation up to $5,000 and the press release to advertise the project has not yet gone out.

Mikki

Pat Isaac
01-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Just got back from the hospital with my husband. His cataract surgery was a breeze..he says. The worst part was driving into the city is pea soup fog, but it certainly was better than snow. He goes for post-op check tomorrow morning and then he is looking forward to much better sight. He will have the other eye done in a couple of months.

Becky, your little sister's painting is wonderful. Hopefully, she will continue at WC.

Painitng has obviously been on hold for a few days.

Back later. :wave:

Pat

prestonsega
01-13-2005, 09:41 PM
OOPS...,,,,

Kat Mikki and Pat...the range on this wireless is( i think) 100 feet.....Haven't had need to check it as the router is in the back of my house and the farthest reach I have yet attained is on the front porch....It has more range than I need to be mobile around the house and yard..I am guessing it has the same range as a portable phone. Being able to carry the puter into the studio to look at ref images while working is a big plus.....I do cover the keyboard with cellophane to prevent dust build up.

Becky...you now have another referral on your record....what a recruiter!!! (don't let her know how cool ops are or she will be forever borrowing yours just like that pink sweater you had in high school)!!!! :D

Pat Isaac
01-15-2005, 10:30 AM
WOW........there is this strange bright object in the sky today..the SUN :clap: Haven't seen it for awhile.

Husband's surgery went well and he can "see" now. In a few months he will have the other eye done.

I am working on getting reference pictures this weekend for a lot of studio time next week.

Great weekend, all :wave: :wave:
Pat

BeckyMc
01-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Pat, my husband's getting his other eye "done" this year sometime. It's been two years since the first surgery. His eyes were damaged by too much Texas sun as a youngster, with no sunglasses - or so the doctor's say.

Preston - you're so funny! My sister lives a good 4 1/2 hour drive away, so no worries about my OPs there! They're probably too messy for her anyway!

Has anyone ever used egg tempera? I was placing an order with Dick Blick and so I could save a few bucks on shipping, I ordered this set of egg tempera, which was on sale for over 50% off. It's really cute, but I don't have the vaguest idea what to do with it! I was thinking I might underpaint for OPs with it, but the paints are kind of pricy for that. Do people even paint with these very much? :confused:

Pat Isaac
01-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Becky, most of the work that I have seen done with egg tempera is very detailed, almost trompe l'oeil. I do believe that Andrew Wyeth used egg tempera. You could certainly use it under ops as it is water based, but I'm not sure why as it is usually used for an entire painting or on top of watercolor. Sounds like fun, experiment....
Pat