PDA

View Full Version : Few new ones

kasunart
01-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Oil/Canvas first one (Sould Melody) 34"x45", second one (Spring Rain) 21"x26". Suggestions for what you'd do to them welcomed, these were both just improvised without a plan at all. Maybe they need a stronger center of interest? Not sure. Thanks for looking!

ArtistJensen
01-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Those are great. You have introduced some light grays in these. Colors are playing against the more neutral grays. Both colorschemes and composition is working good in both ones. Nice improvisation.
There is no clear point of interest, but the flow of the lines works pretty good anyway.
Maybe you could have even some more debth, more contrast between light and dark. Just to add more drama. It's just a thought, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track on that comment.
Very beautiful, exciting and energetic works you are cooking up. The colorplay is awesome.
:clap: :clap: :)

Smileawhyl
01-09-2005, 04:10 PM
You always start from a basic strength, a command of artistic experience and that is evident in these two paintings. Beautiful communication between the colors as they whisper and 'gossip' and flow together to leave haunting impressions.

I would like to see some definition to the play of these colors in these pieces. Right now they both exist in a sort of mono-mute. I would take very little to really pop a theme from them. They give me impressions with no concrete communication.

While I really like the colors and form of the first, the second is the more interesting to me. I can see the 'spring' but more as that might relate to the focal point developed in the center of the canvas, not rain. Maybe something to define why it is or should be communicating rain.

But it is still a treat to see even your 'off the cuff' on canvas.

Artistanne
01-09-2005, 04:10 PM
These are just lovely. Wonderful palette, beautiful ethereal feel to them...I see figures and faces in them, very feminine. Bravo.

Even If It Rains
01-09-2005, 06:08 PM
. Maybe they need a stronger center of interest?
I've come to the conclusion that 'abstract' works a whole lot better with a hint of reality or a suggestion of something at least. Otherwise it's just paint, though it maybe aesthetically pleasing , it's rather meaningless, decorative. The subtle blends of colour you have in these does invite some meaning though, perhaps you could push that even more.
That said that I like these alot love the colours and composition, they work well enough as they are.

Edit: And I prefer the second :)

Matt

kasunart
01-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Thank you guys, I really really appreciate your comments. I'm chewing them up and digesting them for awhile.

Tamana
01-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Been wondering when you were coming off that traveling. These are two of your best, imo. I like the freedom of them. That second one is just beautiful and pulls me right into it.

MountainSong
01-09-2005, 09:21 PM
“Been pondering these Kasunart. Like you, I’m trying to experiment with different types of compositions. What makes an ‘all-over composition’ work and why, or an offset composition, or a none-balanced one. It seems that in order to accomplish it on canvas we must be able to articulate it out loud. Then the connection will be made fully enough to translate to canvas.

In the first piece I’m fascinated by that line on the left side which delineates the color fields – you could play with this one technique to much success it seems. It is the strength of this piece. Other than that the piece is restless to me and slightly overweighed on the right side. The heavier colors on the right perhaps lend to this. Mind you I’m really digging deep here to critique this – your work is ALWAYS stunning! :D
The blue piece on the other hand feels beautifully composed, color, balance (love the angle here), depth, movement and energy. It has an undulating quality to it and is very soothing. There is also a glow in places which is very appealing.

In a side thought; It seems naming abstracts when they were not necessarily intended to depict anything in particular is a liability, it makes the viewer look for a specific instead of finding their own meaning in it, and potentially keeps them from connecting to it when they can’t find the meaning of the title. There must be a way around this. :confused:

kasunart
01-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Tamana, while you were wondering about me, I was wondering when you would come back (from being 'banned', what was that about? :cool: ) Thanks for your compliments.
MSong, Very interesting point about titles. I honestly hadn't thought about that before, how a 'tangible' title would suggest something other than the non-objective art is conveying. Hal Fielding titles some of his works along the lines of Tranquility in blue, Adoration, Intimate Moment, etc. Maybe just being vague enough with them. And about that line on the left on the first one...now that you mention it I think I'll try to set up the next few with that sort of thing highlighted...

Smile, Rains, and Jensen...I appreciate your feeling maybe more definition and thematic tightening would generally make them stronger, I'm still chewing on that. Thanks!

MountainSong
01-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Hal Fielding titles some of his works along the lines of Tranquility in blue, Adoration, Intimate Moment, etc. Maybe just being vague enough with them.
Hmmm.... this seems like a fine idea. :) This has been rumbling around for a few days in my head. 'Picked up a new piece of music today and it had titles like that also.
"Of Life and Love, For Want of Her, The Heart Given, Etude Amour, Shadows of the Day....
Immediately I thought “Hey! These are great names for abstract work – non-defining but mood setting - evocative yet vague.”
I think we’re onto something here…. :D :p

Lady Carol
01-09-2005, 10:23 PM
The colours are very cohesive. These are great to look at. And I have been looking at them for the past few minutes and I must say enjoying what I see. I have no comments for improvement as I think they are both nice in their own right. The colours are subtle and yet intriguing.

Well done.

Diane Cutter
01-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Beautiful clean colors...

Diane

d-head
01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Nice pieces. Like the tone/colors and flow. They seem like fine general pieces, but lack the statement that makes them uniquely Kasunart's, so that someone might say, "Oh, yes, that's a Kasunart painting." These are the only pieces of your work I've seen, so perhap's I'm speaking out of turn. As for titles, I love titles. Abstracts called "abstract" do little for me. I realize that with abstract expressionist art, the title may have little to do with the composition, or eveything to do with the artist's state of mind and perception of the composition, even though there's no strong connection. Another two cents minus a penny. Still, good work.

d-head

Eugene Veszely
01-11-2005, 04:10 AM
I really enjoy just looking into the void...uh I mean colour! ;)

Great stuff. :)

it'sALLart
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
I hope for your own sake that you don't do anything more to these, lest they end up looking overworked. They're extremely etherial as is and perfectly named. If it were me, I'd put them aside and create more. Very emotional and pure!

habondia
01-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Wonderful, especially the first piece!! ooh, that first one is so beautiful... :cat:

I wish I knew how to critique abstract art to give you some suggestions, but I simply do not know how to go about it.