PDA

View Full Version : Shipping boxes for paintings

Harry
01-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get boxes to accomodate board and stretched canvas? 18 x 24 is about as large as I would ever need. Also, what kind of packaging material do you use? (i.e.newspaper, tissue paper)

Thanks

Fagan
01-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Harry....try your local Walmart store (or department store) for mirror boxes. They sometimes just throw those away. For smaller paintings I use USPS boxes...they are free. I use a box that is large enough to fill up with styrofoam peanuts. I also wrap the painting in paper to protect them from the peanuts. If you dont have the styrofoam peanuts....wadded newspapers are ok....just be sure your painting is wrapped in protective paper.

Lady Rando
01-09-2005, 10:03 AM
If you send them priority mail you can get all the free boxes you want from the USPS web site. I order them a case at a time in each size I need and it doesn't cost me a penny, not even for having them shipped to me. :)

tonigart
01-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I purchase my larger boxes from uline.com they have a lot of sizes available.

The time I ordered from them the shipping was fast and product very nice. I hate having to buy boxes, but having them on hand and new looking saves me time by not having to scrounge for boxes and they look professional when people recieve the artwork.

Take care,
Toni

Helen Zapata
01-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Here is a fabulous step-by-step demo for using free USPS Mailing tubes to package paintings all the way up 36 inches!

Boxing Art For Shipment (http://www.ebsqart.com/artMagazine/za_127.htm)

Helen

jocelynsart
01-09-2005, 11:18 AM
In Canada, the Liquor stores stack up their boxes for free and they are good. So, I grab a few when out. I cut them apart and I tape them larger if needed. I use the excess smaller pieces to cusion the top and bottom of the painting. I have never had a problem with the pieces arriving damaged.
Maybe you have stores that put out packing boxes for recycling? Many appliance and computer stores have boxes as well as grocery stores. I'd just check for a source that is convenient to you.
For very very large paintings, I have had my husband make a light thin exact fit crate made from light wood, Masonite, or such. He screws on the top piece after fitting the painting inside. That way Customs can open and reshut it as well as the receiver.
With mailing via the Postal system, Customs checks are random and I have not had one be opened by them. However, shippign with a Courier Service such as Purolator or UPS, etc. they are handled at the border by a Customs broker for that Courier and could be opened as well as a Brokerage fee possibly being passed onto your Buyer or yourself. This is not a Tax, it is a handling fee for the Customs Broker who charge the Courier fees to handle the packages clients send with their service. So you have to keep in mind that anything you pack may be opened before it gets to the Buyer as well, but it is slim.
Check the size Maximum you can send with the Postal Service and/or the Courier Services. One or the other will only go up to a certain size, but I cannot recall which.
Jocelyn

theIsland
01-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Try U-Line (http://uline.com) for packs of 25-100, or if you need smaller quantities, check eBay. Your local moving store should carry mirror or art boxes, but they'll probably cost a small fortune. As suggested already, USPS Priority Mail boxes are free, and great for smaller paintings.

My pack for a stretched canvas: For smaller paintings, I cut a couple of pieces of foam house insulation the same size as the box. The canvas is neatly wrapped in heavy brown paper (along with the CoA and any promotional materials), then I use tape or pallet wrap to attach it to one piece of insulation. The other piece goes on to make a sandwich. Then more clear pallet wrap holds the pieces together, with the packing slip visible through the pallet wrap. Into the box it goes. Even if the box comes off in shipping (it's happened), the inner capsule holds everything together with the shipping address. When I'm cutting foam, I prep an entire 4' x 8' sheet in advance, so when it comes time to ship, it takes me no more than 15-20 minutes to put it all together.

For larger paintings, I also add sides to my insulation foam sandwich, so it makes a nice, tight inner box for the painting.

Presentation is important to me, so I use only new materials for packing paintings. The packaging is the first impression, and I want it to be a good one, so I make sure everything is neat and looks professional.

Noma

laurali
01-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I also use the priority boxes for sizes up to 11 x 14.

I ordered some boxes for 16 x 20s from uline but they are heavy & much wider than they need to be. I have made them myself both by using large sheets of cardboard & using the smaller priority boxes.

I am checking out www.custommadeboxes.com I emailed a request for a quote from them yesterday for 19 x 24 x 2 boxes. I'll post here when I hear back.

Laura

pampe
01-09-2005, 09:31 PM
I use PRIORITY boxes for up to 24 x 36 (it takes 6)

When you separate them , it make a very sturdy mailer...I use styrofoan inside if it is stretched canvas

Antoine
01-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I am checking out www.custommadeboxes.com I emailed a request for a quote from them yesterday for 19 x 24 x 2 boxes. I'll post here when I hear back.

Please do, I'm also interested :)
I just got a quote from www.cameronpackaging.com, but they are more expensive than uline so I'm still looking...

laurali
01-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm not overjoyed with the quote. The initial price was $4.20 for 10 boxes, 19" x 25" x 2" (so it would accomodate 18 x 24 canvases). I was fine with that, then asked about shipping. They responded that a ballpark figure was $15 - $22! Even though I gave them my ZIP, they said they couldn't commit to an exact figure.

Doesn't that seem excessive for 10 boxes? If it's $22, that ups the price $2.20 per box. $6.40 per box doesn't seem unreasonable but I don't like the shipping being hiked up like that (not to mention, what if they charge more?).

Laura

Please do, I'm also interested :)
I just got a quote from www.cameronpackaging.com, but they are more expensive than uline so I'm still looking...

Antoine
01-11-2005, 12:42 PM
That does seem a little high. (I also requested a quote form them so lets see what they say) How difficult could it be to give an exact shipping quote to a zip?

Im also looking for boxes accommodating and 18 x 24 (and 16 x 20) paintings. The best price I could get is an ebay seller Noma mentioned earlier: 'shipperssupply' (Thanks Noma!)
He has:
24x18x4 boxes ($25 for 20) - Item#5512933386
20x16x4 boxes ($27.50 for 25) Item#5512928666
I know the measurements given are the inside size but Im just a little concerned about extra space for bubble wrap might ask him.

catjoe
01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Great tip Atapaz, thanks...I bookmarked the page.

JaiShi
01-13-2005, 12:24 AM
I also purchase my boxes from www.uline.com They have a really good selection and they deliver the boxes really fast. HTH :)