PDA

View Full Version : Ruins at Castlewood Canyon..WIP

woodguy
01-09-2005, 01:14 AM
I am really glad that this sub forum has been created. I do like to share the process of making a painting! Today myself, Coulter and Wes Hyde went out Plein Air painting. We stopped at this place and took alot of pictures but went on to paint at another nearby location. My Plein Air painting turned out really bad so I came home and decided to do a painting of this site. I am posting a photo that I took and a couple of progress pics of the painting. What I have done so far is to "think out loud" with paint....mostly thin washes of what ever was available on my palette. I am looking to establish the "presence" of this place first, and will refine and define it later. I am not looking to copy the photo (perhaps the comp) so I will wait and see where the palette of this ends up.

Gilberte
01-09-2005, 03:21 AM
Wow, what a pleasant time you must have had painting with your friends.
All essentials are present in the painting, no need for too much detail.
Thanks for sharing.

artbabe21
01-09-2005, 11:12 AM
well done Jim! I too really enjoy the process others use to get to the end result. I thought Wes gave up plein aire, I remember when Scott & he bought easels & I KNOW Scott hated it! It must be an acquired taste....I am too spolied with my studio, don't want to haul it all outside! But to paint from nature... :)

laketrees
01-09-2005, 06:05 PM
The composition is really working. A very interesting subject too!!
Looking forward to viewing the next stage.
Cheers Kim

woodguy
01-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Thank you, Gilberte! Yes, you are right, no need for much detail in this. I am going to try and say what has to be said with lots of light and shadow. A bit of filagree detail in the trees might be a nice touch. I will see when I get to that point later tonight.

Thank you, Cathleen! I also prefer the studio, but I enjoy the outings with Mark and Wes. Scott was suppose to join us, but be chickened out at the last min. :rolleyes: And Wes is very committed to PAP, he goes out more frequently than I do.

Thank you, Kim! Here is the next stage. I am starting to tighten things up a bit.

laketrees
01-09-2005, 08:11 PM
:clap: Looking verry good Jim!! :clap:
Cheers Kim

shirleyq
01-10-2005, 11:15 AM
My gosh, lookit the depth that you have painted........it looks like you could step right into it! :)

Thank you so much for posting this.

woodguy
01-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Kim and Shirley! I think that this may be just about done. I am going to let it dry a bit and then do some glazing and final highlight detail. Jim

artbabe21
01-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Geez, what a change...it's a beauty...so good to know where you are going! :)

coulter
01-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Wow Jim, this is terrific! You've captured the essence of the place :clap: For me, anyway, this is wonderful to look at (of course I was there and have my own favorite photos from the day :D )

Mark

Gilberte
01-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Great demo to follow. Love to see a painting develop ...
Perfect focal to the middle of the ruins, and the suggestion of foliage on the left tree(s).
Thanks for sharing a lesson.

woodguy
01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Thank you, Cathleen!

Thanks, Mark! I just now saw something you painted from one of your favorite photos (Landscape forum) and am headed back over to comment!!!

Thank you, Gilberte! Well I think that I am going to call this one done. I let it dry enough to put a warm yellow glaze over the light areas, and a UMB glaze over the darks. A few other subtle touches here and there makes me think I should stop before I go too far.

Rodney
01-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Like Mark said WOW
what a chance from the first few pictures.
wish I could have been looking over your shoulder to observe.
this will have to do I guess.
WOW really like it :clap:
Rodney

Helen Zapata
01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh my goodness.. this is so beautiful. It nearly makes me cry. :crying: <they should have a happy crying smiley> :)

I love the way you kept your loose painting style. I would have been overwhelmed by this scene, but you nailed it.

Helen
(I didn't know there was a WIP Forum! Oh boy!)

Gilberte
01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
These glazes did wonders (in reality it was you :) ).
Strange how an artist sees a "dead" scenery and bring it to life with such glows ......
Cheers !

woodguy
01-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Thank you, Rodney, for the WOW! :)

Thank you, Helen! A beautiful response :) It makes me feel good :)

Thank you, Gilberte! It feels good to know that you can feel the glow that I was trying to bring to this piece :wave:

Thanks all! Jim

Sarah Judson
01-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Jim, where is Castlewood Canyon, and what are the ruins?

woodguy
01-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Sarah, Castlewood Canyon is located a couple of miles south of Franktown and lies about 10 miles east of Castlerock. The building that I painted lies at the entrance to the west side of the park and the only information I can find about it is that is an "old homestead." This lies on the banks of Cerry Creek about 1 mile below the site of a dam that broke in 1933 flooding Denver. The ruins of the damn are a major attraction at this park. Jim

Sarah Judson
01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Interesting!
Thanks~