This dog was my first dog I drew freehanded with color pencils on typing
paper. The feet are not right and I think I got the eyes off somewhat. Any
help would be accurate to getting me on the right track. I want to learn
all I can.

Thanks
Jody :wave:

RobinZ
01-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi, Jody! You did an awesome job on your first dog! I do cp, and here's my thoughts:

First of all, get some decent paper. Lots of folks use Rising Stonehenge, a printmaking paper that can take lots of layers and abuse. I like it okay, but I prefer to use either good watercolor paper (if I'm doing a watercolor wash underneath) or else Canson MiTientes. The Stonehenge and the MT are both very affordable, but you'll get way better results. I like the MT because it comes in colors and you can get it anywhere...craft stores, etc.

I think your likeness is very, very close. I think you captured his expression very well. I think his eyes are done very well. What is wrong with the foot that you see is that you turned the angle outward a little. Plus you gave him too fat a body on the left (as we see it), which makes the whole body look a little awkward.

With good paper, you can get lots more layers. If what you posted is close to true color of your work, the darker fur is too light, not enough contrast with the lighter fur.

But all in all, you did a great job!!! Especially for your first! I am so impressed!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did you use prismacolors or some other brand?

jody007
01-09-2005, 11:47 AM
HI Robin,

I used prismacolor. Yes, I see what you are talking about on the left
side she is little fat LOL! :D I am having a hard time trying to draw the feet.
I am going to paint my dog and practice the feet. I love to do the eyes of
animals. I will get me some of the stonehenage paper next time I am in town.
Thanks so much for your help. :D

Jody :wave:

Paul Hopkinson
01-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi Jody, you have done a lovely job with this especially considering that you have use typing paper! I agree with Robin that a good paper should be sort out from your local art shop or internet art store. My preference is Stonehendge but so far is not readily available here in the UK (as far as I know, uk readers please put me right!) I had to get mine from DickBlicks in the US and pay the very large shipping charges!
I have tried other supports but so far Stonehendge has been my favourite, saying that all artists have their own preference. If you are able to financially buy a few different papers to try out and see which you prefer, usually you can buy them in single sheets anyway so not to expensive.

You certainly have the talent and skill that warrants a much better paper to preserve you lovely work.

Well done! :clap: