PDA

View Full Version : magnetic levitation mobiles

tritium_pie
11-25-2001, 01:09 PM
Hello!

I've designed a mag-lev joint for mobile sculptures (originally inspired by Calder), and am seeking your critical input about my art, my website, anything you care to mention! Please check out my website at:

http://www.maglevmobiles.com

Be sure to right-click and select Open in New Window to keep from surfing away from WetCanvas. Feel free to use my Feedback form on my website, or you can communicate with me via this forum.

Many thanks to Frank Thomas Bradbury for e-mailing me about this website. I've posted on worldartistdirectory, but there isn't enough traffic at that site for any decent critical review. Frank suggested I add some short mpeg movies to show my mobiles in motion (each horizonal section spins independently of the others), and I've already contacted a friend with a digital video camera. The videos will be uploaded within the next few weeks.

Thank you!
Benjamin Edwards

sandge
11-25-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by tritium_pie
I've designed a mag-lev joint for mobile sculptures (originally inspired by Calder), and am seeking your critical input about my art, my website, anything you care to mention! Please check out my website

Hi Benjamin Edwards! Welcome to WetCanvas! :D

The best option for getting feedback is to post a sculpture image either here or in the critique discussions forum.

I would be most interested to learn about your special joint. Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about that.

diane555
11-25-2001, 02:31 PM
Welcome to WC Benjamin! I checked out your web site and your work is lovely. My particular favorites are the stained glass mobiles. I agree with the suggestion of having a few mpegs of moving mobiles on your site. I agree with Sandrafletcher...try posting some of your work directly into this forum of the critque forums. We all like instant gratification! And, yes, please do tell us more about the joints.

Have a great day,
Di

tritium_pie
11-25-2001, 02:47 PM
Thanks Sandra!

I tried to post a pic of one of my mobiles, but alas, it was too large. :( When I get a chance, I'll be sure to fire up the Photoshop (on my other PC) and shrink some mobile pics down to post on this site.

RE: your question about my mag-lev joints, they use rare-earth neodymium magnets in a custom aluminum bracket that I designed. Let me tell you, those magnets are the strongest natural (non-electomagnetic) magnets you can buy-- I have had a few in my palm and several others sticking like glue to the outside of my hand!

If you'd like to know a bit more about my background making mag-lev mobiles, please feel free to check out my bio at: http://www.maglevmobiles.com/biography.htm

Benjamin

p.s.-- I've been surfing around this site for the last few hours and am truly impressed by the quality of the artwork and feedback that people contribute! What a wonderful community! I wish I'd found you sooner. (Thanks again, Frank.)

Yielding
11-25-2001, 06:27 PM
After looking at your site I would say that the mobiles that are most horizontal in length were my favorite. I would like to see sketches or pictures where the mobiles would be in their natural setting as discussed in your bio.