PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaid Revisited

Mikey
01-08-2005, 10:40 AM
I having to make myself paint these days, and this is one I've put off.

This is oil on 16 x 12 inch canvas from the pad.

For some reason I've not narrowed the format and it should be about 10 inches plus wide, so her body is too short. The original is by Millais and actually smaller.

Any comments welcome.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
01-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Mikey - I dont 'get' that her body is too short... she's sitting at a table, right?

A Few Pigments
01-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Iím looking at the original by Millais and at your painting. The original was 11 x 8 inches so one and a half times up from that would be 16 Ĺ x 12 inches, so at 16 x 12 inches youíre almost spot on. As broad as is long as they say.

I know youíre in the early stages so I wonít say too much, but the hair on the forehead on the right side needs to be brought over closer to the center, the neckline of the shirt needs to be lower and the part in the hair needs to be centered with the nose. I know youíll do all of that as you refine the painting.

I donít think she looks too short. After all she is sitting down.

All this detail would drive me bonkers. Iím still working on The Storm, but the level of detail is madding. Give me a good simple still life and Iím laughing.

artbabe21
01-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Mikey, I recognized her from your start! Well done! One of my favorites! Look forward to your progress.
Happy to see this forum being used, I hope people don't forget it's UP here! :)

laketrees
01-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Looking forward to viewing the next stage. I like this portrait especially the mane of hair!
Cheers Kim

Mikey
01-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks Kathleen, you think I've got away with it then.

Hi Bruce, I working from an A4 print and presumably got a bit chopped off or something. I'm thinking of a few significant changes. I'm not sure what that flower is, but I might have something else, a white bloom of course. The haair does need looking at and I'm still amazed how even I can see these things better on the screen.

Thanks Cathleen. This forum seems to have taken off straight away, a very good sign. I may give this one to the disaster fund, if it's good enough.

Hi Kim, many thanks for dropping in. This is a lot more colour intense than I usually do, but more or less the same palette. I'm using Red Oxide because of the hair. It goes very well with Naples Yellow Light.

Mikey

Mikey
01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
I've decided that Millais isn't very important in my scheme of things, so I'll use my own colours and brush.

Mikey

laketrees
01-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Looking good! She looks so fragile. :angel:
Cheers Kim

Spyderbabe
01-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Looking good Mikey. Watch that shadow on the right side (her right) of her neck, under the chin.

Mikey
01-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks Kim and Kathleen, yes I'll watch that shadow and thanks for pointing it out to me.

Mikey

katelynalain
01-13-2005, 09:21 PM
hi mikey,
might i suggest taking a look at 'Bocca Baciata' by D.G.Rossetti. i was referencing his characters recently..(duh..my last painting) and the hair of your bridesmade made me think immediately of this portrait. check it out. even the basic set up is similar. coming along nicely.

Tamana
01-13-2005, 10:14 PM
o O I was hoping you'd pick this back up. Looking great so far; nothing to add to the previous suggestions. Really like the way her expression is coming along...especially the eyes.

LisaArt
01-14-2005, 03:56 AM
o O I was hoping you'd pick this back up. Looking great so far; nothing to add to the previous suggestions. Really like the way her expression is coming along...especially the eyes.

Me too Mikey... :)

Mikey
01-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi Katelyn, many thanks for dropping in to comment. I hadn't really looked at the Rossetti you mention before. Now I done a small bit of research I see Rossetti wrote a poem on this as well. So without knowing all the dates, maybe he did give Millais some inspiration. They would surely have been very well acquainted both being PRB.

I usually have to do some colour correction from what the camera gives. In this case what I saw uncorrected was in fact far better than the painting in my opinion. It did give me some pointers as to different use of colour for the future.

Hi Tam and Lisa. I think it's four paintings on the go right now. I'm wanting to make this one much looser than the original.

Mikey

Mikey
01-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi Katelyn, many thanks for dropping in to comment. I hadn't really looked at the Rossetti you mention before. Now I done a small bit of research I see Rossetti wrote a poem on this as well. So without knowing all the dates, maybe he did give Millais some inspiration. They would surely have been very well acquainted, both being PRB. The Beloved is my favourite.

I usually have to do some colour correction from what the camera gives. In this case what I saw uncorrected was in fact far better than the painting in my opinion. It did give me some pointers as to different use of colour for the future.

Hi Tam and Lisa. I think it's four paintings on the go right now. I'm wanting to make this one much looser than the original.

Mikey