PDA

View Full Version : Goofy mistake and kind of sad...

StefaniBeads
01-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Here's something I did yesterday, and I hope to never do it again, but of course I can't promise I won't! :rolleyes:

I used Effetre white, SIS, and dark aqua (so I thought) and every one of these is cracking. (sniff) :( I'm thinking, "what the heck?!", and then realized that the "dark aqua" that I picked up was from a box that has all sorts of glass in it, and none of it is labeled! But usually I can tell the difference between the small stash of BE that I have and the Effetre. (I'm re-organizing this box, and doing it today!!)

The Bullseye stash was from my original kit that I got as a brand newbie, and these rods were on the bottom. I saw "dark aqua" and grabbed that one before I got started. I had a nice name picked out for this set, and....sniff sniff.... and what's really sad is the hours it took for me to make them on my slow little HH. :rolleyes: :(

Looking back, hehe, that "dark aqua" was a little stiff working it....

Lenda
01-08-2005, 10:32 AM
WOW Lisa, that is a real shame. Crying shame even! BUMMER, BUMMER, BUMMER! I've got my BE in a box under my work area. Won't even bring it out because I'm always worried about getting it mixed up. :(

geoteo
01-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Those are beautiful beads. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

dasi11
01-08-2005, 11:25 AM
So you are living through one of my nightmares.....I keep dreaming I work all day on a killer set and it looks beautiful only to find I mixed glass. Hey, atleast you have a design idea for your next torch session. Beautiful beads!

MistyCherie
01-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Awww Lisa, those are so beautiful too! Well, as previously said, at least you have a wonderful color combination to make again. They remind me of the sand at the beach and driftwood and that pretty caribbean ocean blue you see in pictures of caribbean beaches. You should definitely remake them!

*squish*

-M

StefaniBeads
01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I will try the same design again, and the good news is that the "real" dark aqua is even nicer on the white!

I'm not even sure what the name of this "imposter" BE rod is, and I think it's transparent turquoise?? It is a lovely color though, just not with Moretti, heehee! :evil: ;) :D

Becky Mason
01-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your tragedy. The beads are gorgeous.

I've got a suggestion to keep this from happening again. I work with about 7 different kinds of glass, and some of them aren't compatible. To make sure that I don't accidently mix them, I put a dot on the end of each rod for anything that is not Moretti, Vetrofond, Lauscha or Czech. I use those 4 interchagibly without problems. But I also work with Bullseye; and I sometimes use clear boro punties for pulling complex twisted canes.

I use pink fingernail polish to mark my clear boro punties and White-Out for my Bullseye. I just bought some Uroboros, so I'll mark that with a different color. It doesn't really take that long. When I get in a shipment of glass, before it gets put away, I leave it in the rubberbanded bundles and mark it. Makes it really fast since all of the ends are rubberbanded together.

Give that a try. It will save you a lot of frustration and tears.

Becky

lorwolff
01-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I really like Becky's suggestion.
I put masking tape on my boro, and melted a dot of white on each of my intense black rods and stringers..., I know what a drag. It took forever.
I like the nail polish idea :clap:

Backyard Beads
01-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Everything in my shop that is not moretti gets a sticker. Especially all those stinkin clear ones!

StefaniBeads
01-09-2005, 10:45 AM
I'll try marking my BE from now on, that should work!

Here's another set that I made in the same day, and these are white, transparent sea green, and the SIS. I got those right at least, lol! Today I will re-make the ones I lost. :)