PDA

View Full Version : My grandson Blake

nancy_ellen56
01-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Here is one I started months ago in painter classic...never could quite get it right so quit on it and moved on...pulled it into painter 9 tonight and gave it another go...It still needs work on the mouth and his nose but thought I would go ahead and post and maybe get some insight as to what else is wrong with it...anyhow it is a digital freehand done in 2b pencil...I am currently focusing on my drawing skills...thus the choice of pencil...

rjKing
01-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Here is one I started months ago in painter classic...never could quite get it right so quit on it and moved on...pulled it into painter 9 tonight and gave it another go...It still needs work on the mouth and his nose but thought I would go ahead and post and maybe get some insight as to what else is wrong with it...anyhow it is a digital freehand done in 2b pencil...I am currently focusing on my drawing skills...thus the choice of pencil...

First.. good feeling for values and tones.. so that part is working good so far!

Now.. if you are going for accuracy of your drawing.. I have a couple of suggestions.

If you hold a pencil/ruler up in front of the photo and try to get it aligned with the center of both eyes, you'll find that the ruler is 'high on the left and low on the right' (slants down from left to right). In your drawing that relationship is reversed (the rule slants up from left to right). So the eyes are slanted differently than the rest of the face.

The contours on both the right hand side of the face and the right hand side of the mouth are not accurate in comparison to the photo (both are too flat in comparison to the actual photo).

Normally when I do portraits, I do measurements and place reference lines so that I know things like:

eye-center to eye-center slant (they are never totally horizontal in any photo/sitting session)

Important plumb lines (inside eye corners and how they relate to nose-mouth)

Proper distance between chin/mouth/bottom of nose/eyes..

The first portion of doing a portrait (at least for me) involves drawing lots of light lines as reference points and then remeasuring and adjusting until they are correct... once that looks good I contour out the face/lips/nose/eyes/eyebrows/hairline... then start laying in large value patches.. and finally onto details.

You are doing a lot of that right, so keep it up.. and keep checking the slants/plumbs/relationships as you go.

nancy_ellen56
01-12-2005, 08:40 PM
thanks for the insight and instructions..I intend to rework this one...I will take into account your directions...thanks again...

rjKing
01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
thanks for the insight and instructions..I intend to rework this one...I will take into account your directions...thanks again...

You are very welcome. I had a good drawing teacher! :)

nancy_ellen56
01-13-2005, 04:49 AM
That is the very reason I post my work here on WC hoping to learn from others...early on I would rarely go back and change one but I did take the advice into consideration on the next one...Now I have learned the great value in the discipline of redrawing and comparing the two...Thanks to the many wonderful people like yourself here at wet canvas...

justjean
01-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Looking good, looking forward to see the reworked one Nancy Ellen :)