PDA

View Full Version : Lauscha colour beads - Show and tell

tinycrewoftwo
01-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi...

Here are some beadsets I made out of Lauscha colours. I would love to see how everyone else enjoys their Lauscha colours!

It is a bit hard to see the ones made out of the new rod colour Opal, but they are in the middle top right...

There are pink and blue based ones that look a bit like my favourite morettis, but the colour does not cook out, so that is a bonus.

I batch annealed them when I got back to Canada since annealers are not used for flamework in Lauscha. By the way, there are only two beadmakers out of the 2200 glass workers in Lauscha! Wow, eh?

The sad part is that there is this one sort of magenta-y purple, and in the flame you can strike it opaque and clear, but once it is annealed, it goes completely opaque! (So I will make stringer with clear purples mixed with the magenta opaque to still have this effect so I can continue to anneal properly!)

Hope to see some stuff - I just love their colours so much.

Best regards,
Carol Anne

llglassdesigns
01-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Carol Anne,

Wow! :clap: Those colors are great. I haven't used my Lauscha in a while. I will have to give it a try again. It is hard to see in the picture. The new color Opal... does it stay semi transparent after you anneal it or does it turn opaque?

Thanks

Deb

Girlie~O~
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Very pretty! Would love to see them in the sun light :) :clap:

DebbieSue
01-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Here's Lauscha green and purple tri-colors:

Debbie

kctori
01-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi Carol Anne - I hope you don't mind, I pulled the photo and adjusted some of the blue out - is this more realistic as far as representing the colors??

Would love to see a closer shot of these beads. When I first went to the factory back in 2000 they only had -0- beadmakers, and didn't view it as a lucrative endeavor. There was one beadmaker in Berlin that I took with me on one trip there - and suggested she teach classes... guess the beadmaking bug has caught on there too!

Great people at the factory - amazing to be so close to where it's all created. There is a small photo tour of the factory at this link...

http://glassdaddy.com/Lauscha_photo_album.htm

and the edited photo...

SuzyQ
01-07-2005, 05:23 PM
DebbieSue those tri-colors are gorgeous! You sure make me want to try them..
I just got my iceberg and pink from GlassDaddy!!!! Do you think calling a babysitter so I can torch tonight is a bad thing? :) OK, perhaps I will have to wait until Monday...
Jill, I would love to see what you have done with your Dad's two new colors!

paskon
01-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Ooh, pretty! I've never heard of the tri-colors. Does anyone here in the US sell them?

Thanks!
-Patti

Here's Lauscha green and purple tri-colors:

Debbie

DebbieSue
01-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Ooh, pretty! I've never heard of the tri-colors. Does anyone here in the US sell them?

Thanks!
-Patti

I got them from Monique of Jo-Del Glass here on WC (Inductry Partner) (also on EBay). I don't know if she has any left though, it was a while ago....

Debbie

DebbieSue
01-07-2005, 10:47 PM
DebbieSue those tri-colors are gorgeous! You sure make me want to try them..
I just got my iceberg and pink from GlassDaddy!!!! Do you think calling a babysitter so I can torch tonight is a bad thing? :)

Go for it! :)

I just got mine too, but I'm out of oxygen right now so I'm stymied... :mad:

Debbie

tinycrewoftwo
01-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi Carol Anne - I hope you don't mind, I pulled the photo and adjusted some of the blue out - is this more realistic as far as representing the colors??

Would love to see a closer shot of these beads. When I first went to the factory back in 2000 they only had -0- beadmakers, and didn't view it as a lucrative endeavor. There was one beadmaker in Berlin that I took with me on one trip there - and suggested she teach classes... guess the beadmaking bug has caught on there too!

Great people at the factory - amazing to be so close to where it's all created. There is a small photo tour of the factory at this link...

and the edited photo...

Nope! They are just as blue as they were - I took them with my Olympus C5050 in filtered daylight. The colour as they appeared is as they are. There are a lot of purples and deep pinks and aquamarine and well, all the ones I really like. Photoshop is not loading right now so I don't have a lot of control over cropping macro shots or I sure would have taken some nice side shots close up, to see the swirl of the opal colour - it is quite nice. I did lose quite a few travelling home since they were not annealed before they went in my pack. Plus, a lot of people wanted the opal ones there since beads are unusual there since pearl production stopped around the end of the (second) last century - gee - that darned millenium!

I do appreciate the time you took with the photo though - it is just that they had filtered full sunlight behind them through muslin and I used a tiny filler flash to get the colour as close to the real colour as possible.

I will reload photoshop tomorrow and see if it will open then. Otherwise, resizing SHQ poster sized pictures is just too hard in MS Photo Editor!

Shawn T.
01-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Frank, from GlasssDaddy is the niceest person to deal with. I placed an order and then later the next day added to it. He even called me on my cell phone to make sure he had my order correct. The glass arrived very quickly nicely packaged. It was a Christmas present and I have not had a chance to play with my new colors (been sick as a dog), but this weekend they are MINE!

I have no connection with GlassDaddy, and this is my personal opinion of someone who gives great service and a wonderful product.
Oh and he is so proud of his daughter, a wonderful thing to see these days. :D

Shawn

tinycrewoftwo
01-08-2005, 01:14 AM

and the edited photo...

(There are only 2 people out of 2200 glassworkers in Lauscha who make beads part time.) I spent a lot of time with one. She trained at the Glass College in Lauscha and is immensely talented. With her training at the Glass College, she is able to work carefully to flame anneal all her beads. Still, the bead she gave made for me is so lovely, that I am afraid to wear it because it makes a different sound than annealed beads do...sort of a tick tick instead of that rich clinkle clinkle sound. I hate to anneal it, too 'justincase'.

For Lauscheners, beads are not lucrative - they produce wonderful Christmas ornaments and glass animals and lovely architectural glass. People come from all over Germany in November and December to shop there and many glassblowers who own small firms (Around 98 percent are flameworkers and not hot shop workers) ship finished product to clients in the USA.

The Farbglasshuette is glad to have all our international business, but after I worked there for over two weeks at a workstation either at the entrance to the new warehouse, or just outside it, I can really see that it is the 2200 people who make glass objects in the 'village' who are their bread and butter. Though that may change - we all do use a lot of it and it certainly is beautiful...

In case you go again, the new warehouse is wonderful - it is all open and you can take a tour at certain times and buy glass right there, cash and carry, or arrange shipping.

You can also mail the glass yourself at the post office at the ladies wear store on the main square across from the Kulturhaus - You can mail up to I think 35 kilos at a very reasonable cost if you have your own carton.

I guess I better do something with my photos too... I have over 2000...(I studied photography at college, so I kind of have a little addiction - thank goodness for external hard drives and digital cameras!)

As soon as I can get Photoshop reloaded I will post a pic of the close up beads!

And my Lauscha nickname is Rosamarie for my beads, because I have always done these murrini plunged and twisted tiny roses. If I ever get around to having a daughter, I might name her that. Hard to say - I did know a really yucky person name Rosemarie, and one really wonderful one too...

For a foreigner to get a nickname in Lauscha is pretty special - you just have to keep going back and make something they have never made before! I guess my nickname could also have been Thai Food, Chicken Parmagiana, Five Roses Pancakes, and I can't remember what I made the first year...I always make a special meal for my hosts because they make me the magical regional specialty, Kleusal - they are these cloud like potato dumplings...There is nothing like them in the whole world.

Man, do I miss Lauscha. I can't wait until May! My first non-winter trip.
:cat:

kctori
01-08-2005, 07:24 AM
your trip sounds magical - I remember the level of excitement for me at the factory... if anyone is in that area of Germany - a stopover there is a must! I enjoyed the photos - it was a former East Germany town - has such an old world feel to it, most buildings are clad in slate all the way down to the ground. Talk about never having to paint a house! The region is also known for its slate production. How'd you like the prewarmers for your rods?

Oh, Carol Anne - don't you think a mix of transparent peach and medium amber would result in something rather close to Amber Rose??

tinycrewoftwo
01-08-2005, 11:59 AM
your trip sounds magical - I remember the level of excitement for me at the factory... if anyone is in that area of Germany - a stopover there is a must! I enjoyed the photos - it was a former East Germany town - has such an old world feel to it, most buildings are clad in slate all the way down to the ground. Talk about never having to paint a house! The region is also known for its slate production. How'd you like the prewarmers for your rods?

Oh, Carol Anne - don't you think a mix of transparent peach and medium amber would result in something rather close to Amber Rose??

You never know until you try! It isn't Satake after all. Nothing is "What you see, is what you get" in the world of glass chemistry. Let me know what it is like when you try mixing! (I love it so much and after carrying it home in my backpack, I want to enjoy that particular sparkling 2 kilos just the way they are!)

Are you talking about the colour Rosalin? There is no colour called Lauscha Peach. Rosalin transparent is a very sparkly crystal clear pale transparent warm pink. It is very beautiful. It is lovely to encase with. It is also lovely as a base for florals over any core colour.

My Bead making friend there made me a lovely Rosalin encased floral - I wish I could show it, but I do not have her permission to post a pic of it! She doesn't have email, so it has to wait for when I send her a big jug of bead release! The german stuff cannot be dried in the flame and it is goopy, and VERY expensive - around 20 dollars for an aspirin sized bottle! Can you imagine? But, Pixie dust is a lot cheaper there and comes in the same sized bottles!

I am not against mixing - I just find that so many of my home mixes produce shocky results, especially when I am on a quest for the ultimate opaque pink :cat: .

There is a reason that certain colours are consistently produced in Italy and in Lauscha - after 600 and 400 years of experimental glass chemistry, they have found formulas that produce the strongest result. (thinking about some of my alabastro...yikes!) Especially in Lauscha. The colours that Lauscha continues to produce do not tend to be shocky. If something is really shocky, they tend not to continue to produce it, unless it is VERY high demand by their local industry. And, their artisans preheat rods carefully on a long propane burner. It is very different from what we tend to do!

I would love to see the results of your mixing, though!

Best regards,
Carol Anne

blyneth
01-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Those beads are beautiful! It's interesting what you said about the color not cooking out as it does with Effetre. I had just the opposite experience. I bought some Lauscha that looks like Effetre dark periwinkle, and was dissapointed to see that it had faded to a light blue in the beads I took out of the kiln.

-----------------------

sandree
01-08-2005, 12:47 PM
I love the Lauscha colors and especially the way they mix and blend with each other and with some of the Effetre colors. These are colors from Glass Daddy. I haven't gotten new colors for a while. I think the first heart has wedgewood blue, teal blue, and some Effetre copper green. The second has Lauscha olive, Effetre sage (can't remember the exact name but it is one of the expensive colors) and I think some copper green and aventurine.

I love the light amber...if you put it over silver foil, it seems easier not to burn out the silver. The black is great because it doesn't boil as easily as the Effetre black. Just wonderful glass!

Sandy

sandree
01-08-2005, 12:48 PM
oops...not copper green in the second one...I think it has some Effetre cinnamon (also not the official name).

tinycrewoftwo
01-09-2005, 12:07 AM
I love the Lauscha colors and especially the way they mix and blend with each other and with some of the Effetre colors. These are colors from Glass Daddy. I haven't gotten new colors for a while. I think the first heart has wedgewood blue, teal blue, and some Effetre copper green. The second has Lauscha olive, Effetre sage (can't remember the exact name but it is one of the expensive colors) and I think some copper green and aventurine.

I love the light amber...if you put it over silver foil, it seems easier not to burn out the silver. The black is great because it doesn't boil as easily as the Effetre black. Just wonderful glass!

Sandy

Wow - Both are wonderful - Thank you for sharing them both. I am strangely drawn to the blue...(I have thing about hearts too - don't know with my pic if you could see that every little rosette has a murrini heart in the centre...)

Please tell me something I could make or propose that would be a worthy trade! I'm a little broke after my Lauscha trip...

However I did come back with 10 - 20 mm third length rods of Lauscha in various colours, and also have some really nice handmade Christmas ornaments too...plus those Rosamarie beads...

I feel funny having fallen for all the Lauscha blues and blue glasses in general - I do not have one blue thing in my home, and only own one blue T-shirt. (a gift!) Before I saw blue glass, I hated the colour blue...go figure.

PM me if you might like to orchestrate a trade!

Best regards,
Carol Anne