PDA

View Full Version : Completely Lost

alicemadison
01-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi! I am an art student and I have decided to start entering some contests, pretty much because I need a way to make some extra money to keep paying for school! I have hopes in some of my work, but that is all I got. When I read about "slides" and all the info I need to know about the presentation of the artistīs entries I get confused. I do not really know how to do slides, or how should I present my work or SEND IT TO THEM. Should I photograph it and send the pictures?, is there any special way in which I should prepare my illustrations? ( they are all pastels, ink and oil painting/ acrilics) and most important...what do they really mean with slides of my work!!!!. All I have ever done is scan my drawings ( sometimes they are too big for scanning!) and then I print them, but the quality is awful!
Any adivice is wellcome!.

vhere
01-07-2005, 07:24 AM
to do slides you simply buy a slide film for your camera(any photography shop will help and advise you) - it records as a positive image rather than a negative. When you take it for processing have them mounted (I don't know about where you are but this is an option here as some enthusiasts mount their own).

Photograph your work in good natural light and be careful about framing/background etc so that they give a good professional image of your and your work.

AFM159
01-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Alice! :wave:
As they say practice makes perfect.

Your questions will require a somewhat lengthy post and I'm very busy today so I will try and give you a more detailed answer later.

But for now: Welcome to the Illustration Forum!

AFM159
01-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Alice. Here's a more thourough consideration of your questions.

I have hopes in some of my work, but that is all I got.

Believe in yourself and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish! One caveat: always be prepared for setback. Do not let it stop you.

When I read about "slides" and all the info I need to know about the presentation of the artistīs entries I get confused.

We all get confused at times, a little study and you'll wonder what you were ever confused about.

I do not really know how to do slides, or how should I present my work or SEND IT TO THEM.

There are many ways to go about this. You can usually find some info in books about putting together a portfolio.

The basics though: You will need a 35mm camera. An SLR preferably. You will need slide film. The easiest way for a beginner to photograph their work is to take it outside and photograph it in the shade on a bright day. Make sure the artwork fills the frame or put a black backdrop behind it.

When you have the film developed you will get slides back (which are pieces of film with cardboard or plastic frames around them). You won't get prints (pictures) back unless you ask for them and they will cost you extra. The slide (the film in the cardboard frame) is what you will send.

Should I photograph it and send the pictures?, is there any special way in which I should prepare my illustrations? ( they are all pastels, ink and oil painting/ acrilics) and most important...what do they really mean with slides of my work!!!!.

Do not send pictures, send slides. Each contest you enter will tell you how to label and send in your slides. There is a front, back, top and bottom to each slide so that when it goes into a projector the image is oriented correctly.

If you want to get selected for a contest you must make sure that you send in quality slides. Understand that there are lots and lots of people trying out for these contests, bad slides are an easy way for jurors to weed out people. Many artists use professional Photographers to prepare slides for them, if you can afford it you should consider doing so yourself. At least untill you learn more about doing them yourself.

What they really mean with slides of your work, is that they want to see samples of your artwork, so that they can judge the quality, skill level, consistency, and appropriateness of your work to see if it is worth putting in their show or giving you the job.

All I have ever done is scan my drawings ( sometimes they are too big for scanning!) and then I print them, but the quality is awful!

Scanning and printing is another issue alltogether. I have all my work scanned and make my own prints. If you need help let me know.

Any adivice is wellcome!.

I am more than happy to answer any question you may have.

Best of luck.

PushingPixels
01-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Some print or Graphic shops may have copy cameras. these cameras are mounted on a parallel plane and are specifically for photgraphing art work. Also if you happen to have good photo negatives of any of your work a good photo processing facility can convert them to positive "Slides".

If you plan to do the photos yourself borrow a tripod and photograph them in natural light and remove them from frames with glass to reduce the glare. Tack them to a nutral colored wall before shooting. Some schools have photo labs where a tripod may be available to borrow and willing photo students to help as well.

alicemadison
01-12-2005, 07:00 AM
THANKS EVERYBODY!!
That really helped!! I will have to buy a 35mm camera, since I only have a digital one, but now I know what I needto do.
You are always so helpful!!

coolray
01-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Hi Alice,

Sounds like you are ready to mingle with the best of them! There have been some great suggestions here. Just remember that all is not lost if you don't make it the first time around. One bit of advice that I can give is this... Don't act like you need to sell the paintings. In other words, don't appear desperate. In contests, or just in shows, it is nice to just show your enthusiasm of your work, than to stand there and say, "Yeah, I have to sell this, I have bills to pay." Nothing pushes people away more.

Going along the lines of what Dave said, be confident in your work. You are the only one who will feel 100% of what you were trying to express with your work. No one else will, unless, you show them what you endeavored to do for the viewer. It's not easy sometimes, and shows or contests, can be very nerve wracking but in the end, it's worth it if you persue it.

Good luck in all you do!

Terry