PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong?

BrunoB
01-06-2005, 06:10 AM
During my partecipation to the WC Project "Girl with pearl earring" I found many difficulties to solve the drawing of the right eye of the figure, so I started this painting with similar composition to deepen this problem. And I found same difficulties! :crying:
After too much variations I reached this underpainting point, but I'm not persuaded and the drawing does not pass very well the mirror test; so, what's wrong? Very little modifications change completely the expression; what is the right approach to the drawing of the eyes in a similar foreshortened figure?
I attached the whole painting and a scan of the face (to have a picture without distortions for better examination).
Any suggestion welcome, not only about the eyes, before I start coloring.
Thank you all.

Bruno

Spyderbabe
01-06-2005, 11:19 AM
HI Bruno
This is beautifully rendered. Im not sure that anything is wrong but after staring at it for some time I decided that her upper lip, on the right side, seems too thick. ??

shirleyq
01-06-2005, 11:32 AM
I have looked at this several times and just do not see anything wrong with the eyes. Fix the lip as Kathleen has suggested and I think you will have a wonderful painting. From the looks of your website you set the bar very high. Beautiful work. :)

artbabe21
01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Bruno..I'm with Kathleen & Shirley...can't see anything but that lip a little too thick and GEEZZZZZ, I had to really look HARD for something. You have an incredible drawing & I think it will make an absolutely gorgeous painting!! :)

dcorc
01-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I think that the far side of the face in this sort of posture is very challenging, and I think you have done it well here - I think, the commonest mistakes are to show too much of the side, and to make the eye too large (creating a slightly "flatfish" sort of effect) - to me this drawing looks acceptable, and equally so when flipped - remember if in doubt, one could always start by constructing a "cage" in perspective to pin down placement of features.

I think this is very beautifully done, as as has been commented above, you obviously have high standards :)

Dave

Mikey
01-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Bruno, you obviously like challenges and realise it is a good way to progress. That eye of Girl with Pearl Earring certainly is not easy. My first impression here in this WIP was that the indent of the upper lip under the nostrils was too far left. A closer look suggests it isn't, but I am wondering if your shading is quite right. That, of course, is something I cannot really know. Otherwise I agree the lip on the viewers left is too fat and mis-shapen.

Mikey

Dana Design
01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Just weighing in and singing with the chorus.

The eyes look fine, in fact, beautiful.

Agree that the fold above the lip is too far to the left on the painting and that the lip needs refinement.

Looking beautiful!

BrunoB
01-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks you all for the help.
Your indications about lip suggested me that the problem may be in some slightly different tone and color between the two eyes, not in the drawing.
In fact I put a lighter tone than normal in the right side of the lip to maintain a good control of the drawing during the next coloring step, so it seems to advance, but the drawing should be correct. May be, unintentionally, I have the same situation in the eye. However I'll put extreme attention to this part also.
So, on your own responsability, I'll proceed with coloring :D

Ciao

Gilberte
01-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Mi piace "da Rigaud" nel tuo sito. Ho avuto qualche problema ad entrare.

This is excellent. Most has been said so I'll be back to check in on the progress ........

A presto !

Fejoa
01-08-2005, 01:28 AM
I think I can see the problem with the eyes. I had to look really hard but when I look at the left eye it appears to look right at you whereas the right eye appears to look to your right slightly? I think the highlight at the left pupil may be very slightly misplaced? Maybe I'm wrong. I had to look at each eye individually and could not look at both together. The problem is very slight.
The left upper lip appears thick as others have pointed out and needs to recede. Other than that, I think it's almost there and you have done very well with it.

Fejoa
01-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Maybe the highlight in the left eye needs to be positioned in the exact same place in relation to the highlight at the left of the pupil on the right? Slightly above centre of the pupil not slightly below centre?

BrunoB
01-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Fejoa, you are right.
The solution seems to be in the highlights. I changed the position of the highlight in the model's right eye slightly upper and now is better. Still remain a little tone problem. In this stage I'm working with acrylics (White and VanDick Brown) that change tone when drying and are difficult to control; moreover VanDick Brown, with time, overhelms White lowering the tone in the next day. Painting is a hard job.
I changed the lip also; also this part now is better.

Fejoa
01-08-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm finding the same problem with acrylics. I don't think I could work at night with them. Have you been working in unnatural light?

BrunoB
01-12-2005, 05:11 PM
I started to color, continuing with acrylics.
The canvas is 60x40 cm and I experiment with the flesh tint mixing with Iridescent Gold. I don't know the final effect :rolleyes:
What title do you suggest for this painting?

Fejoa
01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Come Hither? :)

Gilberte
01-13-2005, 02:23 AM
You're on a roll.
No remarks from me.
4O x 6O cms, or 5O x 6O cms are my favorite sizes in oils too.
I'm no good at titles :wink2:

Ciao !

stgault
01-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Is it possible that the eye in question is slightly too small? Would proper foreshortening dictate that it should be a touch larger? Just a thought. I'm attaching an image wherein I made the eye 5% larger and moved it down and closer to the nose a bit. See what you think.

p.s. - The portrait is excellent. You're very talented (I'm sure you've heard that before).

BrunoB
01-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Thank you stgault for your suggestion, but my problem was in the right eye of the figure. I have a reference picture that tell me the two eyes are correct, but my eyes tell me something is wrong on the right eye.

As fejoa indicated, highlight was wrong, but I found something else. The eyelid and the pupil had difference distance than the left eye. I think this is a general rule: the eyelid/pupil distance needs to be the same for both eyes,independently of position of the head and direction of the look. I'm wrong?

Fejoa,I don't know very well english language, what your title means? Something like Come Here?

I post the present stage of the painting for documentation purpose only. As you can see, this is a critical stage always in my procedure. I loose drawing, color, tones... all. :(
Generally in this situation I throw myself out of window, but my flat is on the ground floor so I need to continue... :D

Gilberte
01-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Great sense of humor you have :p

Good continuation ! and remember ...... sometimes perfection can get boring :D

Jim Updegraff
01-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Come Hither? :)

Sailorís dream?

I donít know Ė she seems a little fat cheeked to me, but maybe she is. The eyes look reasonable now. Go slap it on the nose of some bomber and youíre home.

~*Carpe Diem*~
01-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Come Hither is "Come Here" Bruno. In a sexy way. lol

(This is fejoa. I changed my user name as this is the name I use on other boards).

sirbonetta
01-15-2005, 10:10 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
ok ok ok!
Silvana

BrunoB
01-15-2005, 01:41 PM
...working on background.
Sorry for light's reflections :(