PDA

View Full Version : Dancer - where to?

laketrees
01-06-2005, 01:07 AM
I started this portrait of a dancer that I know last year. Put it away because I wasn't too sure which direction to go in. All C & C's welcome. I have used acrylic in this one. I usually paint in oil or pastel.Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2005/54304-DANCER.JPG

Dana Design
01-06-2005, 02:18 PM
laketrees, I really love your use of color. Dramatic and daring. Good for you!

At first glance, I think that perhaps her neck is looking too thick...especially on the left side of the painting. The arm that is leading off to the right of the painting needs a bit of work also. The foreshortening isn't working here and it appears as tho' her arm from shoulder to elbow is broken (?).

There's also something going on with the chin...perhaps rounding it more and centering it under her nose. Not sure. Just seems like the mouth and chin are off somewhat.

Let's see if we can get more opinions on this for you. Lovely work. And those colors!

mattlart
01-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Welcome to Wet Canvas,.......Laketrees.( I like that name). :D

I'm thinking that the strong colors and contrast here create lots of impact!
(These bright acrylic colors also appear to be quite a departure from your more naturalistic oils,.judging from your website).
I congratulate you on the experiment. :)

Personally, I'm not as stringent an advocate of anatomical correctness as some other folks,..(as long as there's a reasonable amount of believability to the pose,or composition). Overall harmony, mood, and a certain amount of uniqueness-interest, or elegance does it for me every time.

That said,..her ear feels a tad "Vulcan" to these eyes. (A minor fix, should you choose).

This painting has a very cool tone to it,.and the blues are delightful.
Methinks that more warmth in the skintones might set that blue off beautifully. Rather than (what appears to be,..at least on my monitor);..the mixed greens that you've chosen for the shadowed skin;.....perhaps some warm burnt sienna,........or, a mix of cad. yellow, rose, burnt sienna,..even cad. orange mixed with some white if needed,could really harmonize and add some appealing warmth.

Hope these ideas prove useful. Best Wishes,-Scott

Fejoa
01-08-2005, 01:40 AM
I can't see anything wrong apart from her right breast looking a little smaller than the right. Or maybe the right one is a tad too big? Unless it was the angle her body was at at the time?

Fejoa
01-08-2005, 01:44 AM
I would follow the suggestions about the chin also taking a closer look. The color and mood of the painting are perfect though as the last poster said.

Mikey
01-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I suppose it depends on which way you want to go with this. If you do want anatomical correctness then I'd like to see an indication of where the neck might begin on the hidden side. There are some alignments needing correction in the head. I'd be willing to talk about that if you wanted.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
01-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi Laketrees - ambitious work! I think the major issue is her mouth and chin. Mouth seems to high and off center - chin related to that. Unusual palette and pose.

laketrees
01-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Ah yes now I see! Thank you all for your comments -the foreshortened arm is a bit of a worry and yes the ear is a bit vulcan (vulcan ears seem to be a bit of a habit with me) :D . the chin,mouth area does need some work.The breast area is a bit flat, might work some shadow in there. It's a challenging angle and I'll try realigning that head. So thank you again and I'll get to work on it.
Cheers Kim :wave:

artbabe21
01-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Challenging angle for SURE! I do enjoy many aspects of this dramatic pose...like your free use of paint & your application!! :)