PDA

View Full Version : WIP Individual Casserole in Blue

A Few Pigments
01-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Iím trying something different. Whatíd ya reckon?
16 x 20 inches, oil on canvas. Knife and brush. Burnt sienna, permanent alizarin crimson, T white and flake white.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2005/42249-Individual_Casserole_in_Blue_500.jpg

I worked on this tonight and made some color changes. Iíll post as soon as itís dry enough.

dcorc
01-05-2005, 11:40 PM
I like - let's see the next stage once you've photographed it. :)

Dave

laketrees
01-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Looking forward to seeing the next stage too. I like the composition and limited palette!
Cheers Kim :wave:

Mikey
01-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Bruce, it looks like you are pushing you present boundaries. I like that and will keep an eye on this one.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
01-08-2005, 04:42 PM
watch the reflection on the fat white pot... what you did is fine but it appears too skinny right now.

A Few Pigments
01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi Dave, laketrees, Mikey and Spyderbabe.

I made a few changes, Iíll make a few more. Itís feels a bit empty and Iím not happy with the knife work across the bottom.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2005/42249-Individual_Casserole_in_Blue_500_002.jpg

Mikey
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Bruce, I think this is a truly useful exercise, because you may be finding problems with the limited palette. Maybe some stronger tonal contrast in the objects and a few other colours picked up as reflections would do it.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
01-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi Mikey,
Well, using more colors is what Iím trying to avoid. I read somewhere that Anders Zorn varied values in a limited palette in his paintings instead of using more colors. Most of he paintings were done with just 4 or 5 colors and most of them were warm colors. I know itís popular today to use a complementary color in shadows, but my goal is to learn how to use just yellow ochre, burnt sienna, raw sienna, burnt umber, raw umber and lamp black or ivory black and white. If I can learn how to use that palette to its full advantage Iíll be over the moon.

Every artist has his own vision of the world and mine is a vision of a world of warmth inviting the viewers into the painting to experience the world as a calm, peaceful place, where they can forget their worries and just enjoy life. To me that means a limited palette of warm hues. The painting below isnít that kind of painting. I guess Iím still a restless spirit on the road less traveled.

Here is a link to Anders Zorn at WetCanvas by our own Matt_Viinanen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/15549/305/

Mikey
01-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Bruce, I can see your points about using warm colours and not having opposites in shadows. I think Morandi did achieve what you are wanting though.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Itís feels a bit empty and Iím not happy with the knife work across the bottom.

Do you mean the knife work or the total look? What if the front edge was one of your darker tones?

laketrees
01-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Every artist has his own vision of the world and mine is a vision of a world of warmth inviting the viewers into the painting to experience the world as a calm, peaceful place, where they can forget their worries and just enjoy life. To me that means a limited palette of warm hues. The painting below isnít that kind of painting.I guess Iím still a restless spirit on the road less traveled.

I think you are achieving that in this work. :clap: And that road less travelled is a difficult one!!
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
01-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Bruce, I think this is most interesting with this palette and you are doing a great job.
I do see what you mean about the knife work at the bottom.. You should be able to fix that. ;)
But it is not really a big deal for me.
I really like the little vase. and the dark shadows

A Few Pigments
01-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you Lisa, Kim, Spyderbabe and Mikey for your comments. Iíll post the finished painting as soon as itís dry enough to scan. I hope that will be in just a few more days.

Gilberte
01-16-2005, 03:35 PM
After your last changes .......... I like it as is.
The dark shadow adds a lot to this work.

A Few Pigments
01-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Thank you Gilberte. I agree the shadow does improve it, but Iím not happy with the way this one is going. I think by the time Iím finished with it this will be another one to chuck into the dustbin.

A Few Pigments
02-02-2005, 08:27 PM
I donít think my hearts in this one anymore. Every time I think I can finish it I think of something different to do. Does it look any better with the left side dark or should the tabletop on the left be lighter? This is the second time Iíve started a painting with a knife and switched to a brush to finish it. Suggestions welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2005/42249-Individual_Casserole_in_Blue_500_003.jpg

A Few Pigments
02-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Thatís me done.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2005/42249-Individual_Casserole_in_Blue_500_004.jpg