PDA

View Full Version : iNtErPret tHiS!...

JCoop
01-03-2005, 10:30 PM
My first painting of '05!.. I've been really wanted to challenge myself with something conceptual. I'm interested to hear how others would interpret its meaning. So if you have a minute, give me your take. Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2005/30872-swinging_girl.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2005/30872-swinging_girl_cls.jpg

Digital _Painter 9

JulieBoyles
01-03-2005, 10:51 PM
OK, I'll have a go at this. First of all, let me say I really do like the color scheme of this piece. Nice tension between the darkish background and pastels of the foreground.

Being the ever worrying mother that I am, this painting feels like a bad dream or nightmare in disguise to me. When first looked at I notice the happy child in the swing. This brings feelings of fun and elation, you know wind through her hair and all that. Then you see the menacing alligator that would harm her if she fell or got off the swing. So I interpret this as one of those nightmares that I have occasionally when the dream starts out so wonderful and full of sunlight then turns ominous and frightening and I wake up out of breath because I can't figure out a way to save the child.

Ok, that's my take on it. Now I'll probably have bad dreams tonight! :(

It's a great piece Joel!!

Congrats,
Julie

KaBoom!
01-04-2005, 01:34 AM
I love it. To me, this painting does what all great art should which is, evoke a feeling. Obviously, it's a primal emotion - to protect a child from harm - but it's nonetheless deeper and more complex than the standard, mundane "happy" or "sad" art we so often see.
I really like how you chose a young girl (as opposed to a boy) as the primary subject here...adds much more tension. Also, I like the way you poised the gators' head out of the water. If you know anything about gators', you know that they are about to lunge when they do that, so actually this image is a moment in time, milliseconds before the gator attempts to strike. And for those that don't know, yes, he could nail her from where he is...
Gruesome!
Anyway, it's awesome. I am curious though, why you didn't add her reflection in the water slightly behind/beneath her?
Just seems like their should be something under there, although it wouldn't be as detailed as the relection under the gators' chin is...
Just my thoughts.
Great job!
Larry

Cronious
01-04-2005, 11:07 AM
A different take could be that the girl is in a playground and the gattor is a sculpture by an artist with a twisted sence of humor! :evil:

What ever way this image does have a very emotional take well done Joel :clap:

JCoop
01-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Jules, Your interpretation is very thoughtful.
Larry, I'm so impressed with your insight.
Crone, what an interesting twist. (btw: where have you been?)

I'll say lots more later... don't want to influence anyones thoughts.

Thanks!!!

captan
01-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't like this image - I see a pedofile in that croc, and that generally is not the kind of images I like. provoking.

justjean
01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Love the colours and my first reaction was happiness between the girl and gator , also strength and motion in the use of the swing ,they are both smiling. a fairy tale perhaps , or perhaps the gator is anticipating dinner :) :clap: :clap:

themanda
01-04-2005, 03:36 PM
this makes me think of the carefree attitude that children have...that positive assurance that nothing bad will happen to them, even in times when they're in the most danger. the arrogance and simplicity of youth.

seems like the concept might work a little better if it were more abstracted. ?

Yako
01-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Mmmmm!! to me it looks like the fragility of happiness and innocence...

This is one of your paintings i like best. I love the color palette and the subject. The first image makes me very nervous i doubt i will hang it on a wall because i feel the alligator will bite the child at any minute.

The second one is peaceful, i love it! It gives me the sensation of warmth and lot of happiness.

TxAggieDarlin
01-05-2005, 10:50 AM
OK, I'll have a go at this. First of all, let me say I really do like the color scheme of this piece. Nice tension between the darkish background and pastels of the foreground.

Being the ever worrying mother that I am, this painting feels like a bad dream or nightmare in disguise to me. When first looked at I notice the happy child in the swing. This brings feelings of fun and elation, you know wind through her hair and all that. Then you see the menacing alligator that would harm her if she fell or got off the swing. So I interpret this as one of those nightmares that I have occasionally when the dream starts out so wonderful and full of sunlight then turns ominous and frightening and I wake up out of breath because I can't figure out a way to save the child.

Ok, that's my take on it. Now I'll probably have bad dreams tonight! :(

It's a great piece Joel!!

Congrats,
Julie

I agree...........I love the little girll in the swing, but the picture really bothers me.........something is out to get my child is what I read in it......
:crying:

KaBoom!
01-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I think on a deeper level - symbolism- that this painting shows the contrast of life itself. On one hand, the child represents the carefree nature and enjoyment of being alive. On the other hand, the gator represents the very real danger that it could all be taken away at any moment, and without us ever seeing it coming...classic.
Not sure if JCoop was going for that, but nonetheless...
One thing is for sure though, I don't think J was going for "pedofile"...(sorry Captan, I can't agree with ya there)...otherwise we would see Michael Jackson in the water! hehehehehe!
Larry

fugitive
02-23-2005, 07:54 AM
It's simple; Don't put a swing set by an alligator pond.

digistyle
02-23-2005, 10:35 AM
It's simple; Don't put a swing set by an alligator pond.

LOL! Greg, you still crack me up! Good to see you, buddy!

digistyle

redpaintpaintmeblue
02-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Ya! it does remind me of dream.And yes definitly agree with KaBoom yes symbolism indeed!
hmmm i would very much agree with Yako too

it does give that feeling that u get on an idle calm afternoon.....love the warm colors around the lil'girl.....the rather cold ones around the alligator.

JCoop you sure have worries about this year....first painting with an allegator.....apprehensive....maybe it has to do with ur resolutions.
really really nice rendering, also compositionwise. :cat:

Jet
02-23-2005, 03:37 PM
mmhmmm !! pat pat...

after giving it some thought...and a couple of comebacks....

...emotionally, it bothers me , somehow..cannot quite place it , but it gets me down....
...on the technical side it is excellent done, great choice of colors too ....

Regards
:wave:

rjKing
02-23-2005, 03:49 PM
First Joel.. more of this type of work, more more!!! :)

My take:

This painting is allegorical. Life is risk. Everything we do has an element of risk. Even in our most carefree moments, the dangers that life represents are always lurking and cannot be completely avoided. And because I think this is true.. I think this painting is expressing an ultimate truth.

I really really like this.

On a technical level: just love it Joel.. your brushy style is just yummy to me.