PDA

View Full Version : Some Work From John/Prairieson!

Tink
01-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I've been trying to take photos of some of John's work so that he can offer it on his website. It sure is different from taking photos of beads and vessels! He has some stunning work that is clear glass, but I've wrestled with taking pictures of those for hours, with no success.

In the meantime, here are a couple of his small pieces. He tends towards large work, but will occasionally do some more petite things like these.

I love this little bowl! It's so darn HAPPY! It reminds me of a sunset. 4.5" W x 3" H

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2005/10179-B00325.jpg

This one is a cool flattened ovoid shape. I love the wispiness of the color. It's a small vase 5"H x 5"W x 3" D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2005/10179-v00625.jpg

KariFL
01-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Those are beautiful Tink!! Show us more!!!

Kari

csacks
01-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Tink, You are doing a marvelous job with the pics! :clap: Who wouldn't be
happy with them? The glass is superb! :D Craig

Penguintrax
01-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Beautiful work and beautiful pics!

dlbirtwell
01-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Beautiful! Can we see more please :D :D :D

sislonski
01-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I would try using more of a grey foreground and black background such as some of the pictures in Kaibeads.com.

craftylady
01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Wow those look great. You have captured the beauty of the glass.

Laurie

froggee501
01-04-2005, 12:35 AM
maybe try stuffing clear stuff with black tissue paper (being obvious and artistic about it so people know it's there) in order to show one side at a time... to be shown alongside pictures without tissue.

Excellent work, however. Excellent.

Tink
01-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the awesome comments and suggestions, you guys! :clap:

John has been working on his site (http://prairiesonlightworks.com), so feel free to visit.

We're in the process of moving his computer into his new office on the second floor, and I think he's going to set up a "permanent" photo corner there to make it easier to take pictures.

Of course, this means that I can TOTALLY take over the basement and make my own version of the Wonka's Lampworker's Lounge. Weeeeee!

Tink
01-04-2005, 01:17 AM
It is SO darn frustrating not to be able to capture the true look of a piece. Arrrrgh... I'm going to play with some different backgrounds, as suggested. I'm so used to working with little stuff. This bowl is 10.5" W x 4.75" H. It's Iris Gold on the inside, which has been beautifully reduced. But my photos just don't capture the beauty of it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2005/10179-b004.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2005/10179-b004b.jpg

prairieson
01-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments! And a special thanks to Tink for helping me out.

Everything is coming together quickly... website revamp, getting set up for sales, the new photo setup,a horrid backlog of coldwork... and all after a full day at the Museum.

Yeeeeha!

Tink
01-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey! How cool to see you here! I'm just so proud of your work that I had to post it. Hope that's ok. LOL!

It's a good thing you're an excellent photographer, because I seriously don't like taking photos of big stuff. :D I still stress over taking photos of my little stuff.

John is intimately involved with the new Glass Pavilion at the Museum, so he can give you guys the scoop on that new, world-class facility if you're interested.

It's amazing how much you crammed into today. And it's a Monday, too. And the first day back after a holiday! Oh, and don't forget that I hijacked you for hollow mandrel cutting tonight, too. Thanks for doing that...

Congrats on your first online sale, by the way! You rock, sweetiepie!

...and I am loving your new tinyhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYCindy
01-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Ooooo! Wish I spoke French! For some reason, I think that French is the only language that could express how gorgeous those pieces are! What a master of iris gold reduction! BRAVO!

When I look at them I think - creamy - sherbert colors -

oh no! I'm thinking food! Am I only one who looks at glass and gets hungry? I'm off to munch on my lemon Effetre rods and take a sip of the Tequila Sunrise beads I made! ARGH!

Bravo! Post more often! :-)

Mary Jo Wolf
01-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Oh..Oh..those rock. :clap:

WV.Artistry
01-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Wonderful stuff John!!! The Iris Gold one is TO DIE FOR!

Thanks Tink for posting.

See y'all soon! (bwhahahahahaha)

Kathy

peteg
01-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Tink and John,
Thanks for posting these.
I really like the color of the first piece. Tink, If I could take pictures as well as those, I'd post more offhand pics....Got any tips?

Pete

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZsandpebblesglassQQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1

Tink
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Pete! I really want to do the classic, gallery-type image for these, but I don't want to obsess over it. I'll let JOHN obsess over it. LOL!

Kathy! I will see you in TWELVE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't WAIT!

Modesto
01-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments! And a special thanks to Tink for helping me out.

Everything is coming together quickly... website revamp, getting set up for sales, the new photo setup,a horrid backlog of coldwork... and all after a full day at the Museum.

Yeeeeha!

:clap: :clap: Awesome work! :clap: :clap:

BTW...glad you made this post, I was starting to think you were another Tink dream. :D

glassfreek
01-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Very nice! Just gorgeous John, pics are killer too Tink! Makes us want to fire up NOW..... ;)
Thanks for sharing! Deb n Mike

Tink
02-11-2005, 04:58 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread for a couple of reasons:

First of all, John has really been finding his voice in the hot shop lately. Really fabulous, sinuous, sexy work! Unfortunately, I think he has about a year's worth of cold work to do before he can get any more photos done or work up on his site. LOL!

The other reason I wanted to bump this up is so you guys can see his new tinyhead. It's a photo of the rubber head for the playfield of my new pinball machine. It's Captain B Zarr --- Very appropriate. LOL! Seriously though, it looks just like John.