PDA

View Full Version : Mosaics

Tony Perrotta
11-23-2001, 04:57 PM
Hi everybody, I thought I would post this here, makes sense to me. Has anyone ever done ceramic tile mosaics I am interested in maybe buying an unfinished table and doing the top. Just looking for any tips anyone might have.

Thanks Tony

colorme
11-23-2001, 05:15 PM
hi i've done mosaics in class once, they're really fun.

sassybird
11-24-2001, 12:42 AM
Tony,

Mosaics are a lot of fun. I helped with a huge one in high school that was of a Viking Ship. It took up the wall of the stairwell landing. I got hooked then and did several over the years of different sizes on tables, walls, small bars for pass through windows in kitchens and a couple of window sills. They are cheerful and people always love to touch them :cat:

If I were you I would look for a good book on basic mosaic skills to begin with. Maybe see if there is anyone in your area that concentrates on that art form. It is always nice to have someone close to pick their brains. It has been a long time since I have done a mosaic, and I am sure that there are a lot of different materials for adhereing the tiles that what I used to use. Keep us posted on your progress when you start.

Leaflin
11-24-2001, 12:02 PM
Hi Tony :)
Boy you hit on one of those things on my never ending 'To Do' list!
I purchased a book a while back.

Handmde Tiles by Frank Giorgini.

An execellent book starting from conception and going to the finished product.

Just haven't got 'A Round Tuit' yet.
If I start before you do I'll let you know all my mess ups!

Good luck, and keep us posted :)

Tony Perrotta
11-24-2001, 06:42 PM
Thanks Sassy, Yeah I heard it is no more difficult than putting down ceramic tile, same adhesives and grout I would think. Leaflin, I have a long to do list too, like I said I want to do a table for my LR. I know one thing that if you buy those little bags of tile that the art supply's sell it is going to be expensive. A buddy of mine is in the tile business and hopefully I can get a bunch of broken or even whole tiles to break myself, I just want to use alot of colors. It is going to be a while as I am going into the Hosp. on Wed. for surgery so after I recup. My to do list will be even longer.

Thanks for your input, I'll let you know if I start it but don't hold your breath. Tony

joemajury
11-24-2001, 07:35 PM
I have done a LOT of mosaic work, do you know exactly what you want to do, or are you just asking on general terms.
If you are an absolute beginner, then I would have to say, that the FIRST thing you should know is to put the smooth side of the tile UPWARDS, and the grainy side downwards.
I have a few pictures of mosaics that I have done, if you are interested.
Drop me a line, I would be pleased to send you them, and have a chat with you.

Joe

joemajury
11-25-2001, 01:36 PM
Hope all goes well for you at the Hospital.
After our PM - here is the Photo I was talking about.
( This was NOT done by me - but by a friend ).
I am only posting here as a reference for Tony, and I have the permission of its creator !!!!!

Joe
;) ;)

Tony Perrotta
11-25-2001, 05:33 PM
Wow is that cool. I didn't have anything like that in mind,for my first mosaic I am just going to use all different colors and shapes. If it comes out decent I'll be happy. Thanks for the PM Joe.

Regards Tony

sassybird
11-28-2001, 06:13 PM
Joe, that dolphin is so cool! I would love to see others you have done. Would you send them to me too? That piece your friend did is just gorgeous.

joemajury
12-05-2001, 06:13 PM
I will hunt them out and send them to you.

Joe
;) ;)

joemajury
12-05-2001, 06:22 PM
Here is the link to my large piece in the Mermaid Project, it took me almost 6 months to make this and is approx 3ft x 2ft.
My others are much smaller and hanging in the bathroom, I will take pics of them and send to you.
Funny, I just finished tiling a 29" x 23" mosaic mirror today, grout it on Friday.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/36/ref/Mosaic_Mermaid.jpg

Joe
;) ;)