PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher, January 3 - 9

Pat Isaac
01-03-2005, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the Oil Gusher! If you've never posted here before, consider this a special invitation to you to stop in and post, we'd really like to get to know you !

It's been fun to share our artwork, and now we have a place to get to know each other a little better, and share all that other interesting stuff that happens in our daily lives.

Tell us about yourself, your family (two or four-legged) and your ups and downs, or your in betweens.

The "Oil Gusher" is not the place to discuss politics, religion or our philosophies about life. WetCanvas provides both public and private chatrooms and a Debate forum for our members for this type of lengthy discussion. We want to make this a place for gentle camaraderie .

Please do join us!
:) :) :)

eileenclaire
01-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi Pat! Just wanted to let everyone know about a Paint/draw from the same reference! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239890) thread that is going on now in the portraiture forum. It's a great way to practice your portrait painting skills, and it's a lot of fun!

I hope many oil pastelists will join us! :wave:

Pat Isaac
01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks, Eileen. Sounds like a great learning experience and I have downloaded the pic.

I am getting back to my studio today after a few weeks of holiday doings. I have a demo in March and a Show in May, so I have to get cracking. I need 12 new pieces for the May to July show. :eek: :eek: Actually I already have 4 that I can use and have started 2 more.

Gloomy here today but mild.. 50 degrees. Snow from last week is just about gone and I hope there will be no more this week as I have to drive my husband into the city for cataract surgery later this week. I would not like having to drive in a snowstorm.

Pat
:wave:

steven
01-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi All - back from Brussels! :wave:

Prosperous 2005 to all! :)

Didn't do any artwork, but did go on a shopping spree for paper. Bought myself a role of Chinese paper (49 cm wide by 10 m long :p ), a packet of Taiwanese rice paper, some heavy handmade paper (pink or blue coloured - the pink one reminds me of blotting paper, can see something dark blue on it :D ), some dark blue luxury printing paper with some fibrous inclusions (nice for OP stuff I think), and some more of the transparant crinkled paper I described here before. Oh, and some ivory coloured, square formated handmade paper too. :cool:

Well, hopefully I'll have some time this week to start playing again with art stuff... :)

Steven

Pat Isaac
01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Welcome back, Steven :wave: . Glad you had a good trip. Sounds as if you went crazy in the paper store. :evil:
Looking forward to seeing some of your OP work on the paper.

Pat

sundiver
01-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Eileen, sounds like fun... the problem is finding some time for all the fun things going on now! :p I started that retrospective project myself and then didn't have time to post or comment in it for days.

Steven, I'd love to have a peek at that fancy sounding paper.
I got a pad of Sennellier LaCarte when I was in Quebec City. I don't know how it is with o.p.s (anyone tried it?); maybe too fragile. I'll put on a mask and try it with softies. I'm thinking the color shaper might rub the grain right off if I try to push o.p.s into it.

Back to school- back to reality!

Pat Isaac
01-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Wendy, I use Sennelier LaCarte paper all the time. In fact, it was one of the papers that I found worked well with OPs. It has a cardboard back, so the oil doesn't go through and a nice gritty surface. I don't use paint shapers much so I don't know how that will affect the surface. I do use paper stumps though and have had no problem. Paper is also good for paint sticks.
I haven't had time for the retrospective either, but will get over there now.
Snow coming in today.

Pat
:wave:

Pat Isaac
01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
yuck, 2 days od snow and I am itching to get to the studio. Mess today...8 inches of snow, then sleet and freezing rain, and now rain. So that should take care of everything and it will be clear tomorrow. My husband's surgery was postponed because he came down with a flu like cold. Just as well as I didn't have to drive into Boston in a snowstorm.

I am going to try to make a web site using Contribute 3 along with a .Mac membership. Has anyone tried this??

Pat

Dyin
01-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi all! Steven, all that paper sounds luscious...can't wait to see what experiments you try on it!
Weather's yucky here too...big storm getting ready to blow in. I have more than enough to keep me busy inside, so not fretting too much about not getting out.
What surgery is you husband going to have, Pat? Hope his flu is better and that you don't get it.

Pat Isaac
01-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi Sue,
He is going to have cataract surgery on one eye and then the other later. He was really geared for it, but hopefully it will be done next week. His flu is much better and so far I do not have it!! :D Another storm is coming in tomorrow and I hope the weather is decent next week.

Pat

CarlyHardy
01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone!!
Pat, hope you don't get too house-bound with all the snow!! How about some snow scenes looking out the window?? My best to your husband with his surgery...I know he'll be glad to have his sight without the cataracts.

Our weather has been so nice this week and I've taken advantage of that to get out and do some plein air painting with my oil pastels. Today I painted with my art group and started a big floral abstract with the oilies. Will share my start on it later. I don't usually work abstract but today there was no left over flowers in the trash can from the Sunday services at the church where we meet :D. They still had poinsettias but I didn't really want to do a red flower 'again'!!

carly

CarlyHardy
01-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Notice for the Oil Gusher

As some of you noticed, Kat posted a poll concerning the Oil Gusher earlier this week and we really appreciate those of you who voted.

Since the consensus is just about split down the middle on the issue of "to move or not to move", we'll try the Gusher in the Talk forum for the rest of the month of January and see how it goes. Since the Gusher is a chat thread, it fits into the format for the Talk forum.

Originally it was decided that the Studios would be separate forums for posting oil pastel work and soft pastel work, and the Pastel Talk forum would be the general forum for both Studios. Creating two studios was never meant to divide the membership of the Pastel Channel in any way. It was necessary because both mediums needed room for growth and a place to advance each medium. Having the Studios for both have made it possible to do that. We have seen the Oil Pastel Studio grow with new members and new interest in the oil pastel medium.

I hope everyone will support this decision and get to know some new folks this month!!

carly and Kat

BeckyMc
01-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Pat, my husband had cataract surgery in one of his eyes almost 2 years ago and he loves the results. He still has one eye to go, maybe this year. He said besides the improved vision, he was amazed at all the color he could see. His eye does look somewhat odd, if you see it in the right light - sort of bionic or something. :p My husband was one of the youngest people getting that surgery - blame it on a lifetime of exposure to the Texas sun w/o sunglasses!

Eileen I printed off the reference for the portrait project and will try to do something this weekend. I don't have too much time to paint with the job and now Supper Club at our house is drawing near - which means a major cleaning effort.... :eek:

Steven - hope to see some neat art from that paper - and maybe some additions to your gallery!!!

Khadres
01-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi, all!

I take it this is the equivalent of the Scumble, but specifically for oil pastel fans? So is the Scumble just for dusties? Seems weird that we have separate places but oh, well. Just wanted to say hello. I don't do op's so I'll leave y'all to it! Enjoy!

Pat Isaac
01-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Sooz, this is the equivilent of the scumble but being in the talk forum will enable us to share talk in both threads and get to know each other better. :D :D

Pat

Pat Isaac
01-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah, my husband is really looking forward to "seeing" well again. Let's hope it can be done this week. Becky, that's really funny about your husband's eye being bionic..hmmmmm...
After today's snow we are supposed to have some decent weather for the following week. Maybe even approaching 50! Wow, a veritable heat wave. :rolleyes:
My sister from New York is coming in for the weekend, so painting will be on hold for a few days.

Pat

sundiver
01-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi, all!

I take it this is the equivalent of the Scumble, but specifically for oil pastel fans? So is the Scumble just for dusties? Seems weird that we have separate places but oh, well. Just wanted to say hello. I don't do op's so I'll leave y'all to it! Enjoy!

I remember reading that one of the reasons for starting an o.p. subforum was that soft pastelists didn't want to waste their time opening a thread only to find that it was oil pastels being used. (Can't find the thread to quote it but I remember it because I was a bit shocked to read it.)

Even The Pastel Journal decided to exclude oil pastels from their magazine. It took a big effort by members in the o.p. forum to change their attitude (somewhat) about that. I don't recall seeing any support on that issue from the Soft Pastel Fourm, but perhaps they didn't know about it (unless they read the Pastel Journal and just didn't care).

I'd love to see more connections between the two subforums, but I can't see how it will happen. When I submitted the Pastel Retrospective Project it was suggested perhaps I would split it into 2 separate projects for the separate subforums, and that shocked me, too.

Many good things have come from making one forum into three. The concerns expressed about it in this thread have also come to pass. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190326

What's the answer? darned if I know! :D

CarlyHardy
01-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I remember reading that one of the reasons for starting an o.p. subforum was that soft pastelists didn't want to waste their time opening a thread only to find that it was oil pastels being used. (Can't find the thread to quote it but I remember it because I was a bit shocked to read it.)

Please let me assure everyone in the Pastel forums that the Studios were not created because of any statements made. (and this one, I'm totally unaware of). The Studios were created because soft pastels and oil pastels are not the same medium. They have a lot in common but they are not the same. I paint with both and am familiar with the characteristics of both.

As artists using oil pastels joined the forum, it became more difficult to know which medium was being used unless it was stated in the thread from the beginning. Although we can all view a painting and give C&C, it's more difficult to give technical advice if you're not using that medium. For both mediums to be able to expand with things like classrooms and individual projects, the Studios were set up.

WetCanvas is an ever changing community. As needs are realized, Scott, and now, Kerri, always try to meet those needs looking at the community as a whole. Because of growth, many of the forums are changing their formats to meet those growing needs. It's quite possible that in the future that we'll need to expand even more here in the Pastel forum :).

As a moderator, I love this forum!! We are all pastellists!! Let's celebrate together that we have such a great place to hang our hats online and share with one another :clap: :clap:
carly

Deborah Secor
01-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Wendy, let me assure you that at least ONE soft pastelist has taken on the PJ and lobbied for OPs to be included, but you'll never see it in the discussions there because my name is on the masthead. I've talked with editors, written e-mails, and proposed articles on several OPers to no avail. The decision is to keep it devoted to softies only. But don't figure no softie types cared or said anything, 'cause that is NOT so. We just can't change what they're doing...

Meanwhile, I'm glad to see your version of the scumble here and may get to know some of you who are as bad about dropping into the SP Studio as I am about visiting the OP Studio! <blush> I've barely had time to keep up with the studio and Pastel Talk, let alone anywhere else! But I'm glad to see this thread here. No reason why we have to be separated. I like the threads where there's overlap, such as the restrospective.

My mom (age 92) was supposed to have cataract surgery in December but I got sick and couldn't get her there...but now I need to rescedule it. Was/is it as easy as they say? At her age I hope it doesn't get complicated!

I'm going to roast a turkey today (didn't have one for the holidays) so I need to go concoct stuffing... :wave:

Deborah

Pat Isaac
01-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Deborah for your comments and let's hope we can share things in the talk threads.
Wow, your Mom is a trooper. As far as I know everyone says that the surgery is a piece of cake, takes about 15 minutes. It is just the thought of it that makes everyone wary, I think.
Good luck with the turkey.

Pay

sundiver
01-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Please let me assure everyone in the Pastel forums that the Studios were not created because of any statements made. (and this one, I'm totally unaware of).

That was the reason given when oil pastelists were asked to place "o.p." in the titles of their threads, and that was around at the beginning of the discussions about subforums, so maybe I made an association between the two.

Anyway, I'm just grumbling, Carly, like we grumble about the weather even though nobody's to blame and the same weather may suit someone else perfectly.
I'm lamenting the separation of the people and the artwork and the sharing in the two forums, because IMHO they have more in common than there are differences. I work in both o.p.s and softies as well (just hate wearing the mask :p )

Mo.
01-08-2005, 08:18 PM
That was the reason given when oil pastelists were asked to place "o.p." in the titles of their threads, and that was around at the beginning of the discussions about subforums, so maybe I made an association between the two.

Anyway, I'm just grumbling, Carly, like we grumble about the weather even though nobody's to blame and the same weather may suit someone else perfectly.
I'm lamenting the separation of the people and the artwork and the sharing in the two forums, because IMHO they have more in common than there are differences. I work in both o.p.s and softies as well (just hate wearing the mask :p )

Wendy I remember those threads very well, I was the only guide for the pastel forum at the time,and it was not an easy job by any means.
I still stick by what I first said about the split of the forums. However the OP forum has now grown to such an extent that to combine the two would probably not be feasible now.
WC has grown very, very big, a lot of folks that frequented the pastel forum when I was guide there have gone and moved on, very few "oldies" now remain, whether this was because of the split or because of other reasons I do not know. I only know my own feelings on the whole issue of events.

Mo.

bnoonan
01-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi there,

I barely have time to go in and check any of the message boards now but it was fun to see this in the pastel talk section so I can at least see what's new when I have time. I miss you guys... Mo .. it's been too long and you too Wendy.

As for me... I'm in a bit of a funk these days working on a non-art related project but it's keeping me busy. I'm also trying to keep my feet on the ground and stay in the present when finding time to be creative.

Does anyone else find themselves flipping between photography and painting? Soft Pastels and oil pastels? Pastels and oil paints? Watercolor and crafts? Perhaps I'm just a mixed media person awaiting my coming out party!!!

Happy New years one and all!!! And once again I'm glad to see what's new with all of you - oh one more thing - Pat - If I don't get time to mention it, I love your fisherman in the 2004 perspective. He is marvelous!!

Barb

Pat Isaac
01-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi Barb,
Glad you jumped in. :wave: I often switch around mediums, bit OPs are my favorite. I also do watercolor and colored pencil, but haven't for a while now. I'm thinking of doing some more watercolor as I have a piece that I started last spring that needs to be finished. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your comments about the fisherman. He was fun to do.

Pat

Mo.
01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Hi Barb! :wave: Happy New Year to you too, and to everyone else who pops in here!

It has been a long time, and yes I am flitting between different media at the moment, currently back to oil painting, although not done any for over a week, due to golfer's elbow, and I don't play golf. :D what with that and looking after a disabled hubby, painting has taken a back seat.

Wishing you well and happy coming out party, think I'll join you! :)

Mo.