PDA

View Full Version : Bottle toppers..., where did I get them??

lorwolff
01-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Here they are, finally done.
I couldn't figure how to attach them, but finally used Tenex-Plus. It seems to be holding.
But, NOW, does anyone know where I can get some more of the stainless bottoms? I don't remember where these came from :crying:
Does anyone have any left from a bulk buy?

Virginia L.
01-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi, realllllllllllly pretty. I know that Nicker has some - but they have the black rungs. I am really pleased with how mine turned out. I am gonna order some more from her - HI :wave: Loraine

Shawn T.
01-02-2005, 06:46 PM
The ones that are pic int he first post came from this link.http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-0095
These have the small ends that you can make the stopper tops on a 3/32 inch mandrel double dipped or a 1/8 inch and just epox them right on. I find them the best as far as quality,style, and ease to use.

The ones with the black on them came from Pennstate.

Shawn

lorwolff
01-02-2005, 07:20 PM
OOOh, Virginia, very pretty!
I love the design and shape. :wave:

Joellen
01-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Very pretty stoppers, Loraine and Virginia! I like the ones from woodturnerscatalog, too. You can use regular-sized mandrels and not have to drill out the holes. The only thing I don't like about them is they're only available in that mandrel size as a combo stopper and corkscrew. We make our stoppers taller than they are wide, like Loraine's are, and I've been concerned that someone will grab onto the glass top and "rock" it back and forth to pull the cork out of the bottle. I'm pretty sure the epoxy will hold but am not sure about the pressure on the glass. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I've thought about epoxying the two parts shut so that you can't get to the corkscrew.

- Jo

Virginia L.
01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
I have the fat mandrels, so I like these ones, cause then they have this huge metal plug in them. I like the looks of the others, but would be worried they would pop off also.

Joellen
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
I was worried more that the glass itself would crack from the sideways pressure applied to it if someone grabbed it and rocked or twisted it. Maybe I should buy a bottle of wine and try to open it. Since I don't drink, I have no idea how hard you have to work to get a cork out. I suppose most people who are serious wine drinkers already have one of those cork puller devices that they use, anyway.

- Jo

beachbeads
01-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I think you got those from me, and I got them from Penn State, way cool stuff.

beachbeads
01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I was worried more that the glass itself would crack from the sideways pressure applied to it if someone grabbed it and rocked or twisted it. Maybe I should buy a bottle of wine and try to open it. Since I don't drink, I have no idea how hard you have to work to get a cork out. I suppose most people who are serious wine drinkers already have one of those cork puller devices that they use, anyway.

- Jo
They don't work great to open a wine bottle as there is not way to get a reallygood grip on them, but they look cool.

vintagelb
01-05-2005, 08:51 PM
dose any one have any more links as to where u can purchase these???
thanks.. or dose any one want to sell any?? thanks annie :clap: