PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Bay from study

Brad M.
01-02-2005, 03:52 PM
I've just finished this large studio painting from a study I did in September.

Long Island Bay
30" x 48" oil on canvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2005/9808-LIBay.jpg

here is the original study
9" x 14" oil on panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2005/9808-LongIslandBay.jpg

I put a WIP thread in the Landscape forum, if you would like to see;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3047569#post3047569

Thanks

JamieWG
01-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Beautiful, Brad! I like the plein air, but the higher contrast in the studio piece is very striking, and I prefer the blues to the turquoise colors too. A stunner! Thanks for showing it here.

Jamie

mnpainter
01-02-2005, 04:10 PM
I really enjoy the expansive - ness of t he sky really nicely done.

Ben Bauer

ponting
01-02-2005, 04:16 PM
It always amazes me that a scene as simple as this one can lead to such a wonderful piece of work. You have made good use of your field study to produce this lovely oil and yet both of paintings stand on thier own. :clap:

Cheers....Dianna

Brad M.
01-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks Dianna and Ben.
Jamie, the color looks a bit more turquoise on the digipic. It is bluer on the painting, closer to the sketch color. I usally use my PA studies as the primary color refernce.

BTW; I assume everyone on this forum will prefer the PA study :D

m r pacitti
01-02-2005, 05:30 PM
BTW; I assume everyone on this forum will prefer the PA study :D
Brad, actually I can't decide which one I prefer. They are both outstanding! :clap: :clap: Mike

grainne
01-02-2005, 10:40 PM
I am with Diana and Mike—each painting has its own unique qualities, each to be savored for what it is. Both are outstanding!

Grainne

LeeHaber
01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Brad, You know in the past always opt for the plein-air...but in this case
I think they are both equally wonderful, each in it's own way!!! :clap:
Is that "Longiland?" :D

Brad M.
01-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Thank you all for conceding that the painting I spent a month on might possibly be as nice as the quick study I did one morning :D :evil: :D
Yeah Lee, its "Longiland". Ju know, out der wit the friggin wader an burds an crap. :D

LarrySeiler
01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
well...as I already mentioned in the landscape forum, I like the PA study, but this is one where I prefer the studio version. It sets a benchmark for excellence. Very nicely done...and a good addition thread to this subforum!

kudos... :clap:

Larry

judithdagostino
01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Dear Ed:
I love the studio piece. Beautiful expanse of land and sky. Subtle colors...not as subtle as the plein air but just beautiful. I love the whispy clouds....I probably would have taken out the dark area on the bottom left. Just a thought. My eye seems to gravitate there and it competes with the rest of the composition. The plein air piece has better form in that area.

Judith

Brad M.
01-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks Larry,
It takes a big plein air artist to admit when a studio work might be better :D :evil: :D I really appreciate your thoughts about this piece.
Thank you Judith.
The dark area is closer to the color of the study than it looks on the pic here. That foreground area is needed to keep the viewers from feeling they are floating above the scene but rather standing on a hill.