PDA

View Full Version : Black oil, is it safe

flo70
11-22-2001, 12:01 AM
Can any one tell me if makeing black oil with powded white pigment and linseed oil ok to make . I read on another thread that
linseed oil is combustable. becuase in the book ( how to paint like the old masters By Joseph Sheppard) has the Receipe for it.
Betty

sarkana
11-22-2001, 07:25 AM
generally, i would not recommend making black oil at home. it generally involves boiling litharge (lead monoxide, PbO i think) in linseed oil. not only because (as you have indicated) linseed oil is highly combustible as it oxidises, but also because powdered lead is dangerous to handle. aspirating or absorbing lead into your skin can lead to health problems in short order.

if you do decide to make it, please follow these precautions:

- don't use the pots you make it in for anything else

- don't use lead around pets or children or food supplies

- wear a respirator or at least a dust mask

- wear rubber gloves or other protective covering while handling the lead

- have a fire extinguisher handy

- make all art materials in a well-ventilated area

that said, i think black oil is a great medium. i used to sell david davis brand black oil in my store. i recommend using it, just not making it.

maybe you can buy some? our friend rob howard is selling it:

http://www.studioproducts.com/catalog/medvar/blackoil.html

Titanium
11-22-2001, 07:30 AM
Betty ,

you could just mix 1/3 stand oil with 2/3 linseed oil
and add a few drops of Kremer's [ Kremerpigments
on-line New York ] drier [ contains lead ] and get
the same situation .
[ it will be a very light colour ]

The cooking of linseed oil will thicken it , add oxygen
to it and help speed up the drying as well as causing
it to level paint.
The % lead oxide taken in , will also speed up drying
and help to gel the mastic [ if your making Maroger's
medium ].

Since your cooking in air , the linseed oil will darken.

The oil will smoke and fires are possible due to the
higher temperatures. Some of the lead may become
volatile , which you might inhale.
Be very careful .

The mix above , will give a softer gel to the Maroger ,
but will get the job done. [ the one I suggested with
the stand oil ]

What do you hope to achieve ?
Titanium

You can also try sun thickened oil instead of stand oil,
but this can be difficult to paint with.

tonymarzi
11-22-2001, 09:06 PM
I should say..... sarkana know what she's doing..... running that business and all.

Verdaccio
11-23-2001, 01:07 PM
It is best for most NOT to make their own black oil. Do you really want all that stuff near you or your house? You can easily buy good black oil - www.studioproducts.com.

Now, as for the question "is it safe" for the longevity and survivability of a painting....well that is another matter entirely. I think it depends on the quality of the black oil, the quality of the resin you mix it with (if any), and how much you use. Too much of any medium will do bad things to your works.

Leopoldo1
11-24-2001, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by flo70
Can any one tell me if makeing black oil with powded white pigment and linseed oil ok to make . I read on another thread that
linseed oil is combustable. becuase in the book ( how to paint like the old masters By Joseph Sheppard) has the Receipe for it.
Betty

Yes Betty, it is okay to make as long as you are cautious with the materials. Precaution is necessary with the lead (lithrage)as been discussed over and over through out this forum in previous posts and of course with the heat (cook outside). It is sort of being a fry cook you need to watch your temperature, no different. I got a kick out learning to make it and it is realitively simple if you like to cook. I agree with Sarkana that it makes a great medium by itself but particularly wonderful if combined with mastic varnish because the combination makes maroger a thixotropic medium. David Lefell uses this medium(maroger) exclusively. Black oil is easy to make when compared to making mastic varnish because of the different flash points; turpentine, 95 degrees F. in cooking mastic as compared to linseed oil, 432 degrees F. in cooking black oil.

A little Black oil added to each paint nut saphonizes your pigments wonderfully for flowing brush strokes and allows all your paint to dry uniformly, usually overnight. Good Luck :oL