PDA

View Full Version : Brother and Sister portraits

Kitty Wallis
12-28-2004, 04:08 PM
These two were done during the christmas holidays while they were home from college. They are a gift to my assistant.

The underpaintings are shown as well as the portraits.
18"x24", pastel w createx underpainting.

Dyin
12-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow...lucky assistant!!! Both are wonderful but I really like the boy's...those eyes are just piercing! there's something so joyous about the way you apply pastels...thanks for sharing :)

Cochisa
12-29-2004, 12:39 AM
...yes, lucky assistant!
I haven't been brave enough to use those bold bright colors, especially the pinks...you make it 'look' easy Kitty, I know better. Both are gorgeous.
Cochisa

PAKI
12-29-2004, 01:25 AM
I really like the use of expressive colors on people. You have created two wonderful pieces. What a wonderful gift. :clap:

prestonsega
12-29-2004, 02:30 AM
Your bold use of color reminds me of LeRoy Neiman's work. I learned from my last portrait attempt with bold color that I ain't there yet......many more hours of work before confident strokes shine through in my work, as here in your portriats.

ponting
12-29-2004, 03:09 AM
Electric Kitty!! Bravo :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

Mikki Petersen
12-29-2004, 07:29 AM
What always amazes me about your portrait work is that you paint personalities more than just people pictures. It's fascinating the way each person evokes different color choices. Very intuitive, it seems. The underpaintings in particular show completely different color palettes. In this instance the girl seems quite serene while the young man seems to be troubled and it's all about the colors of the works. Don't guess you'll be invited to select a traditional portrait collection of pastels... :evil: . It sets your work well above the standard portrait, I think.

meowmeow
12-29-2004, 07:32 AM
What a wonderful gift! I like them both but especially the boy's. As always, your colors are wonderful...creative...and they work! It's obvious from the way you are able to get the createx down in the beginning that your skill with portraits is excellent. I would be plodding away at that point!

Sandy

Grasshopper
12-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Could you talk a little about using Createx on your support (I assume it's Wallis, hehe)... What do you like about Createx, why do you use it? I don't know much about it... It's liquid pigment, right? Why that over acrylic, for instance...

Thanks, Kitty. By the way, I very much like both portraits, the girl's just as much as the boy's, for the vibrant and expansive use of color, and color choices, strokes, etc. I'm not put off by the bolder color coverage in the girl's portrait as opposed to the boy's.

paloma
12-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Just love the way you show the personality of your subjects by the use of colour alone Kitty - it says it all & your loose style is to be envied. I particularly like the way you have rendered the boy - yummy!!

Have just received my Christmas prezzies consisting of 2 Wallace pads & a pack of Createx pigment from my daughter. So now I can't wait to get started
on a new portrait - good thing I looked in on you for inspiration. The underpainting you applied in both of the studies is very illuminating in that by painting in this way at the start must help give the work more substance.
Thank you for sharing :cat:

K Taylor-Green
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Stunning use of color, Kitty. When all is said and done, I don't think you are going to be known for your paper alone.
Both are vibrant. Very lucky assistant.

Kitty Wallis
12-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi there, I'm the lucky assistant (lucky because of having two wonderful kids and one terrific employer and friend.) The portraits are proudly hanging on our mantel, and I'm looking forward to framing the jewels. She really did capture their spirits and even more so their likeness.

Marc Hanson
12-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Someone already used 'electric', so I'll use 'illuminating'. They are absolutely 'jewels' Kitty, the color would make a blind person want to experience the joy of that kind of application. :clap:

Kitty Wallis
12-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for your warm and appreciative comments. I'm very proud of these. The young people who sat for me are inspiring. Beautifully raised and beautiful people. So poised and full of clear energy, I almost couldn't relate. They have no dark parts! At first I had trouble seeing each of them. A most unusual sensation. I learned alot painting these portraits and not all of it about painting. :)