PDA

View Full Version : Transfering images...

kiwicockatoo
11-21-2001, 04:51 PM
When I work I finish my drawing on scrap paper to get all my erasings out of the way and then transfer it to good. To do this I cover the back with graphite and then trace it on. Does anyone have a better method than this? I'm tired of the mess. Plus my current pic I'm working on is really too large to do this.

Thanks,
Brenda

arlene
11-21-2001, 05:54 PM
You can work on a light box, or there is a paper called seral paper which is a paper coated with graphite. You can buy it in rolls or in sheets and place it under your tracing, graphite side down. Then trace.

Another method is to just outline the drawing on the back of the tracing you've done, then just retrace again...this way the only place there's graphite is on the lines.

olika
11-21-2001, 07:55 PM
I learned somewhere in WC from a post that you can use a very light (or dark if need be) soft pastel. It worked well for me in watercolour and in coloured pencil. I trace my final image using tracing paper thenon the back I lightly cover the lines I am going to trace keeping close to the line. If all else fails you could try this :)

Ivyleaf
12-01-2001, 11:46 PM
Another good way on a larger piece is hope for a sunshiny day, take some handi tak, place the drawing on a big window, tak up the paper on top of that and trace thru the sunshine. VIOLA! Homemade light box ;) . I prefer the handi tak cause it's easier to remove than tape :D

:) :) :)

Ivy

billyjo30
12-02-2001, 12:17 AM
Some people use graphite paper but I found it to be messy.

Elankat
04-26-2002, 01:25 PM
I made a small investment in a cheap Artograph Tracer Jr. (approx. $35). I originally bought it when I was doing some door murals for my son's nursery. It can take a little bit of time to line up a design, since it has to be projected in sections, but I like it.

There's no mess with graphite and it's easy for me to sketch small and then enlarge. One of these days, I'm going to get a nice big projector though, so I can project a small sketch without readjusting or sectioning it. With the one I have, if you sketch it larger than 3 by 4 size, you will have to project in sections.

jocelynsart
04-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi: One thing I use alot is the window during the day. I tape my rough up and hold the good paper over it and trace onto the good paper. This works with thinner papers only however. The other choice is to get a projector and project roughs onto the good paper or canvass mounted on a wall.

kiwicockatoo
04-26-2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm still using the old graphite method. I tape my drawing and go over the lines on the back - like Arlene explained. Just finished tracing my latest - took about 1 1/2 hours. I'm finding there is a certain "zen" quality in the tedious processes that get me from blank paper to finished work - in other words, I'm trying to enjoy each step and stop worrying about rushing through everything.

TeAnne
04-26-2002, 07:36 PM
The window sounds like a good idea but tiring on the poor old arm lololol:cat:

arlene
04-28-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure where I read this...maybe here?

It is possible to make a "light box" by just buying a large sheet of plexiglass and then putting a flourescent light tube (the kind like under the cabinets in a kitchen) on the table and leaning your plexiglass on some books or supports behind the light...gives you an angled surface, and when done, it all gets put away.

MyCatBites
04-29-2002, 11:26 AM
Arlene's suggestion works but be sure to use fluorescence. If you use a lamp (even a small one) with a regular bulb, the Plexiglas will heat up and bend. Experiment and learn. Now after melting Plexiglas, burning myself on light bulbs, and that "touch light incident," my husband bought me a small light box. Life is better.