PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go wrong with this auction....need advice

JaiShi
12-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Hello Everyone,
First Happy Kwanza to those who celebrate it!!

Second, I was wonderful if you beautiful people could help me out. Linked below is a painting that I'm particularly found of and thought would do well on ePay (oops I meant eBay, lol).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3771092839&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I was going to add a story as to why Tilly (the name of the character in the painting) feels fine but I thought it would take away from the viewers interpretation.

At anyrate, any advice you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
xoxooxoxoxo
Shirley

Maryem
12-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Shirley, I think it is charming...... I just think Ebay has died for us artists over the holiday period.

Mary :wave:

JaiShi
12-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi Mary :wave: Thank you for responding and thank you for your compliment!! I didn't even think about things being dead for the holdiay, duh, lol. I guess because I spend a majority of my time online I had expected the same from everyone else, lol.

Again, thank you for responding :)

DevineCreative
12-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Shirley,

I think this painting is adorable and I would not say you did anything wrong with the auction. It acquired enough attention to get some bids, albeit not enough.

I would add the following to your title next time: black folk art. I know it isn't pc to use the term "black", but there are a group of people who want to acquire art with Afro Ams as a subject and this type of art is still referred to as black folk art. Those that collect, search for it in this manner. Additionally, people in other countries still refer to those who are desendents of Africa as "blacks." Not African Americians, which is strictly limited to blacks who live in the US.

The other thing I suggest is that you start the auction out at a higher price. At the least $24.99.

There is a demand for African Americans as subjects. They simple need to find yours. The addition of a few search terms may help.

Good Luck!

Pamela

surreal
12-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi Jaishai,
The few times that I have listed acrylic paintings, I type "acrylic painting" in the title line because this term is searched a great deal.
:)

I also think that if an artist doesn't have a large following that it is a tremendous gamble to start a painting out at $0.01.

There are bidders who won't view any items that don't start at at least $2.00.

It is a very nice painting, which might sell at your reserve price!
I hope that it will! :)
This time of year is very slow and supposedly doesn't pick up substantially in terms of views until the middle of January!

I wish you alot of luck!

JaiShi
12-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Awww Pamela you have put such a huge smile on my face :D Thank you for the compliment and thank you so much for your advice!!

I wish I could go and change the title now :( Man, I learn some thing new everyday. I will definitely act upon your advice and start my next auction at at least $24.99 like you suggested. I thought placing the auction(s) at .01 cent would bring all the "watchers" out that eBay tells me I have, lol.

Also thank you for pointing out that there is a demand for AA art. I was told that there wasn't but continued to paint what was fun for me anyways. Your comments have not only educated me but motivated me as well.

Many, many, thanks!!!!
Shirl

JaiShi
12-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi Nina :wave:

Putting "acrylic painting" in the title is such a SMART idea, I never thought to do that.

I don't really have a following so I definitely did take a gamble *biting finger nails*

I do have about 11 - 13 watchers at any given auctions and I'm curious as to why they are watching, lol. I figured I would experiment with the price and see if they would come out, lol.

I didn't know that there were bidders that would not look at auctions unless it was $2 or more. Learn some thing new. I guess that would make sense. When searching through African American art, I notice there were tons of prints starting at .01 cent. My art would just get buried with the other prints.

Thank you so much for the compliment :D I hope it does sell at the reserve which I have at $37.50 but at this rate I don't think it's going to make it to that :(

No regrets though because I was able to learn a lot because of this auction and worse case senerio I get to enjoy the painting for a little longer.

Thank you for the well wishes!!! It truly is appreciate!
xoxo,
Shirley

sandge
12-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Gorgeous painting. :D

I agree completely with the advice given by Pamela about the title. :D

My only other comment would be that I think potential bidders may feel a bit deceived by your subtitle which says that the item is starting at only "0.01c" because the painting has a reserve on it. That kind of disappointment would be enough to send me off in a huff! I also understand that bidders dislike reserves.

But there is still time. Good luck with it.

JaiShi
12-26-2004, 07:05 PM
*hehe* thanks Sandage.

I hear what your saying about the .01 cent in the title. I personally don't like reserves, but it would have killed me if that painting went for .01 cent. I so should have started the auction at $24.99. I had it listed at $20.00 at one point but no one seem interested.

Thank you so much for responding and thank you for the compliment.

:D

conrad00
12-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Yep that's good advice about the title. I'm sure there are people specifically looking to buy African American folk art. Personally I love this painting and I'm a little disappointed that no-one on here thought of buying it for me as a Christmas present :D

Reserves seem to work for some people and not for others but as a buyer it would be a negative rather than a plus for me. I think it's better to start at the lowest price you're happy to take for it - that way you just need one person to see it and think 'right, I'm going to bid' one time. Everytime someone has to rebid in another attempt to guess a reserve it's also another chance for them to think 'well, maybe it wouldn't go with the curtains after all, or maybe I'll buy that cd I just saw instead, or save the money because my phone bill just arrived' or whatever.

Often when I buy stuff on ebay I make a decision on whether or not to bid on a quick assessment of whether I think I've got a good chance of winning the item :) If I knew I had to battle against an unknown reserve as well as other bidders it might be enough to make me move on and keep searching.

Definitely a bad time of year to be listing though so don't take it to heart if it doesn't sell this time. I'm saving myself for well into January - plus I have no time to paint at the moment coz I have a loooong dissertation to finish typing. In fact I should be doing some of it now instead of talking on here ;) I'd better get back to work!..... :D

Best of luck :)

JaiShi
12-26-2004, 07:27 PM
HI David :wave: Thank you for the compliments *grinning ear to ear*.

This whole auction has been one big learning lesson for me. I think that this is the first and last time I will do a reserve. Someone had mentioned to me to list the reserve price in the description that way folks know what they are dealing with. Not sure if I'm going to do it or not, because of the double description I have on there now. (I thought eBay got rid of my first description so I posted it again and then when I went to go check on the auction, there was my description listed twice. I can't erase it because the are already bidders on the auction.)

I had some one contact me and stated that they placed a bid on the painting for $20.00 but eBay is only showing it as .55 cents. I don't get it. And who knows if they will come back to outbid another bidder. Anyways, I'm rambling, lol.

What you have written makes a lot of sense. Many times I've had the intention of going back to an auction to place a bid on a painting but it turns into an out of sight, out of mind situation.

I think I'm going to do like you and focus on January as well.

Thank you so much for commenting. It put a smile on my face. Now get back to your dissertation, lol.

ttys David

TeAnne
12-26-2004, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't have started at a cent. :( You do have your template show twice in the auction though.

JaiShi
12-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi TeAnne!!!

I know (about the 1 cent) :( it seem like such a good idea at the time : /

The double listing is due to me wanting to add a second category. I notice the description field was blank so I went ahead and re-added the info. When I went back to go check there it was :( eBay won't let me correct it since there are already bids on the painting.

Worse case senerio, I'll relist the painting in mid January with no reserve, starting at a higher price.

:cat:

pero lane
12-27-2004, 10:58 AM
This painting is delightful!! Don't take it personally as to low bids or no sale. It's a slow time of year for most sellers as alot of potential buyers are busy with holiday functions. Hang in there! :) Your perfect buyer is out there somewhere and is waiting to find YOUR art!

The first 2 paintings I listed on ebay with a start price of 1 cent sold for 1 cent! :D What a way to learn!! Since then I now list at a starting price I can accept and never place reserves on any auctions.

JaiShi
12-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey Pat,
Thank you for the compliment and your words of encouragement :D I know eBay is a fickle/funny animal and I try not to take things personally :) I have another painting on eBay that I know is going to go for 1 cent, lol. I went ahead and raised the other 2 to $2.50. Also, when I went to go check on the painting I linked here, I noticed there were a few more bids *yay* I'm a little nervous because the person who placed the bid has 0 feedback but we all had 0 feedbacks at one point.

Sorry to hear that one of your paintings went for 1 cent. Yes, we all live and learn.

pampe
12-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I also think it is adorable

BUT I have found that TELLING the bidders what the reserve is really helps...some give up after a couple tries thinking it is too high

You can also e maill those recent bidders and tell them the reserve...I don't think that's illegal

JaiShi
12-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Hi Pampe,
I have gotten a few emails with folks asking what the reserve is so I went ahead and added it to my description. At first I felt funny about (don't know why, lol) but now I much rather have people know.

Thank you for the compliment and the advice!!!

:D

conrad00
12-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I have another painting on eBay that I know is going to go for 1 cent, lol. I went ahead and raised the other 2 to $2.50

Hmmm... yes I've got my little eye on one of those at $2.50 - how much would it be for shipping to the uk? :D

JaiShi
12-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Hmmm... yes I've got my little eye on one of those at $2.50 - how much would it be for shipping to the uk? :D

Awww David you have me blushing :p It looks like the least cost effective option would be either global priority - flat envelope @ $9 or global priority variable weight @ $10 (link listed below).

http://ircalc.usps.gov/speed.asp?Country=Great+Britain+and+Northern+Ireland&Pounds=1&Ounces=0&cmdSubmit=Continue&Contents=1

Thank you for your interest, you truly have me smiling here.

xoxo
:cat:

conrad00
12-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Awww David you have me blushing :p

I didn't realise that blushing would be caused, but now that I know that you're blushing I'm blushing as well :D lol

9 or 10 $ is fine with me :) I put my bid in - now I'm just hoping that some Texas oil tycoon doesn't come along and start bidding against me :D

hillrune
12-28-2004, 09:48 AM
I like your style! Very refreshing! And you have several bids...if those bidders want your piece they should have read the info about the reserve otherwise they are wasting their hopes!

Mary

JaiShi
12-28-2004, 02:15 PM
@ David
I didn't realise that blushing would be caused, but now that I know that you're blushing I'm blushing as well lol
lol

I woke up this morning and saw your bid, thank you so much!!! You're an angel!

@ Mary
Thank you so much for your compliment!!! (Here I go blushing again, lol) I was so surprised to see the bids on the other paintings, pleasantly surprise though :) It funny how many questions I get that have the answer in the auction. Like with this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3771262523&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) , I got an email asking what size it was, lol.

Thank you again for your kind words :)

PMurphy42
12-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Your paintings are adorable Jaishi

It shouldn't take you long to establish a following on ebay.

Good luck with your auctions

JaiShi
12-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi Patty, thank you so much!! I just need to be patient and they will come :)

Also I wanted to say THANK YOU to Everyone who posted here!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for your kind, beautiful, and encouraging words!!!! You all are my Angels!!!!!!!

XOXOXO!!
Shirley