PDA

View Full Version : need help finishing this necklace...leaves/fiber

glass_beads
12-23-2004, 11:31 AM
I made these beads yesterday. This is the first time EVER that I have made a set of beads specifically just for me. I never keep any beads for myself but I made this set to be mine, mine, mine. I strung them on hemp and fiber/yarn. I knotted the fiber between each bead and I am happy with how it turned out. But for the love of pete, I cannot figure out what to do to "finish" it so I can wear it. What type of clasp ideas can you come up with -- or how to go about finishing it up to be tied on or something. Any ideas? I'm totally open to suggestions!

jessicah
12-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Sorry-no suggestions here, but I wanted to say-beautiful beads. Doesn't it feel great to finally make something for yourself? I usually just keep stuff that doesn't sell for myself. I think after Christmas, I think will make something just for me.

vintagelb
12-23-2004, 12:10 PM
well i just thought i would offer u these thoughts as they help me to make it to the end..
it really wont matter cause its in the back.. and if at some time u find the perfect closure.. just redo it.. its your necklace after all..

ok now on suggestions... i use wire, colorful wire and creat a loop and claw of my own.. i donno what i think of them yet??..lol ..hahaha
ok good luck its a great necklace..
happy gift giving day!!!

xoticbead
12-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Vintagelb
I'm not sure that I would have chosen hemp to use for stringing a necklace as my neck is really sensative when it comes to "itchy" things however I would use one of the toggel clasps for a closer on it. Maybe some smaller beads leading up to the closer. The beads are really neat, and the colors are terrific. Let us see what you come up with when you finish it
Liz

nicker
12-23-2004, 12:39 PM
What about a loop that goes over a large knot or stone bead? I have used them on a few of my pieces they are sturdy and blend in well. Very nice piece!

JavaGirlBT
12-23-2004, 01:04 PM
How about doing some sort of macrame loop at the end which goes over a button bead in the same style as the necklace beads? Of course, I have no clue how you would actually do the macrame. lol. Pretty beads, btw!

justdeb
12-23-2004, 02:32 PM
You could use one of Kate McKinnon's clasps - the type that is flat on one side. Do some half hitches over the silver and maybe secure it with a dab of glue. Her website is http://www.katemckinnon.com/

glass_beads
12-23-2004, 02:49 PM
You guys are wonderful....look at all these ideas. So temporarily to wear around the house and to see how I like the length and how I like this clasp idea I have done a loop and this cute flower bead which really might be too cutesy for the look of the beads...but hey, I'm just wearing it around the house at the moment.

In my bead stash I found a gorgeous sterling dragonfly that will be perfect but the hole is too small to fit over the hemp so I have to give it some more thought as to using wire and knotting the hemp to make it work.

I hadn't given it any thought as to whether the hemp would bother me (itchy) or not as I had never used it before. This was a brandy-spanking new roll. For the most part the hemp isn't exposed because the yarn covers it but at the end it is exposed. The "small" beads I have in this are as small as I can go really in a size large enough to fit over the hemp, but the beads go all the way around to further back than where the back of my ears would be (in line with my neck) so you'll only see the area without beads if you're standing behind me.

The best part is this was a quick project so if I hate them strung like this I can start over with a new idea. I just wanted to steer away from a basic strung design on Softflex which is what I'm most comfortable with. I'm just so ecstatic that these are MY beads, not a customers, not a friends, not a relatives, MINE ALL MINE...lol!

Thanks so much for the ideas and the kind words! :)

edited to add:
Ooops...forgot the pics of the temporary idea...

nicker
12-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Personally I think that flower stinks! You should send it to ME so no one sees it! :evil: :envy: :evil:

glass_beads
12-24-2004, 08:56 AM
LOL Nicole...I loved these flower beads when I saw them and didn't buy enough. I bought one in a few different colors/shapes but now wish I'd bought several of certain colors like this one. I got them from Eclectica in Tucson one year.

I wore the necklace all day yesterday and decided I do like the cutesy flower and loophole so I took some added advice, did the loop in wire so it would be sturdier than the hemp and covered the hemp entirely in the fiber/yarn to avoid any chance of the itchies. I love the finished piece now.

Red*Dog*Designs
12-24-2004, 12:06 PM
I love it too, the colors and design are amazing ! If you ever get tired of it, I know just where you can send it !!
:D

beachbeads
12-27-2004, 05:51 AM
I really liked the look you had in the daily show the other day with just beads and leaves, those leaves are amazing and should be the focal point of the necklace. Hope not to offend, but I think the hemp takes away from the beauty of the leaves.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238181

MeltingPoint
12-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Your necklace is just beautiful!!! I love it both ways...gglol....
Darlene