PDA

View Full Version : Still Growth

Yielding
11-20-2001, 09:30 AM
From my days in Architectural studies the Square was the most used shape, or the shape you wanted to get away from the most.
This time I have chosen to use the square. My intentions behind this piece was to simulate a 3 dimensional square frame as if it was slowly "growing". Every cement piece is movable on top of a bed of fine sand. Once I completed the sculpture and began taking pictures, it was fun creating different patterns for the cement square pieces and manipulating the sand like sand dunes. Coupled with the shadows from the light I was using I think I have captured the workability this sculpture has.

I originally created this same piece in college. The only difference was the base was cement too. Sadly it has not made it on the many moves my wife and I have been through in the last several years. But I do have pictures from a campus art show that it was displayed in.

my thoughts are to redesign the base. I am thinking bass wood so that I can create a chip carving pattern. Use poll to tell me what you think of base.

Let me know what you think.

For more pics go here (http://www.gosculpture.com/Newdesign/stillgrowth.htm)

http://www.gosculpture.com/Newdesign/images/overall1.jpg

diane555
11-20-2001, 10:22 AM
Yeilding: This is fabulous! :clap: Please don't change the base. I love the integration of sand, the smooth richnesss of the wood and the cement. Also the contrast of colors is particulary pleasing. Excellent piece! Great web site, BTW. Can you please tell me what mix you are using for your cement (if mixed) ...it has a beautiful smooth finish. I have worked with rougher textured cement mixes for out doors but I really like the way this looks.

Have a great day,
Di

Yielding
11-20-2001, 11:08 AM
DI - Thanks - the cement is "Portland Cement" I add nothing to the mix, keep it as is.

The mold is made from Plexiglas, that is what gives the smooth reflective finish. It takes a lot of time to make a Plexiglas mold, then you hope for the best. Can not tell you how many times I have had to remake molds so that they come out just right. The mold is destroyed as you remove it from the dried cement.

You can see here an example of a base I am working on for another sculpture. However this one is very simple and easy to make.

http://www.gosculpture.com/images/p6base.jpg

max nelson
11-20-2001, 08:35 PM
Jeff..your background in architecture really shows. I checked your site for the other super works. A poll is probably in order, I think this would look fabulous with a simple base in something black and smooth. Like metal. The wood, in my view, too warm and doesn't seem consistent with the stark forms. Just an opinion.:)
Max

Yielding
11-21-2001, 09:26 AM
Max - great feedback thanks. :)

tritium_pie
11-25-2001, 01:43 PM
Your sculpture is fantastic and it looks like a lot of fun to be able to modify the arrangements of each element.

I personally think the complexity of the base, as well as the striations in the wood grains, distracts somewhat from the sculpture itself.

Since your intention is to have them appearing to grow out of the sand, I think a very simple square black base-- matte black and a bit thick, with the same proportions of the actual sculptural pieces-- would bring the focus back to the sculpture. Perhaps a large matte black square?

To further the feeling of growth or coming-to-life of the sculpture, I would only have the central "primordial soup" of sand (none of the outer corner pockets of sand), and possibly have the main body of sculpture rising off-center or even in one corner, with perhaps a smaller corner or two rising in another part of the sand, hinting that more is about to rise. It is coming to life right? Not crystalizing? Crystals are perfect, but life is off-center.

These are, of course, my most humble opinions! You are the artist, and only you know exactly how you wish to express your art piece.

Sincerely,
Benjamin

Yielding
11-25-2001, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the feedback Benjamin much appreciated. Your opinion stimulates ideas and that is what feedback is for.

PS welcome to the forums, just arrived here my self a few weeks ago.

jhusel
11-26-2001, 10:53 AM
Well I don't post enough to vote, but wanted to say that I really like that piece. I think it is great to see something 'out of the ordinary' like that. I like trying new ideas as well.

It really is outstanding with the contrast between the shadows and wood. I wouldn't change it at all!!!

jhusel