PDA

View Full Version : Fusing - now that's a bubble

cfrech
12-22-2004, 12:09 AM
I've had my share of bad loads but imagine my surprise when I opened up my kiln and found this bubble (over two inches diameter)!

Rainygrrl
12-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Cheryl,
I think I had a bubble that big once when I tried to trap a leaf between sheets of glass. At least yours is pretty!
Roberta

Toni Lutman
12-22-2004, 12:44 AM
And an expensive bubble at that! Beautiful dichro.

Toni

Mr.Smiley
12-22-2004, 05:53 AM
I think it's awesome! Probably worth a ton of money if you do something nice with it. :D

Retta Gates
12-22-2004, 07:56 AM
It's interesting that the bubble is on the only part of the piece where it actually fits. :D

daffodildeb
12-22-2004, 08:36 AM
It's so nicely centered! Have you decided what you'll do with it?

dread
12-22-2004, 09:52 AM
I can only see a wonderful piece coming from that - and then when you want one you want one you wont be able to get one !

crsann
12-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi Cheryl,
I sure feel for you and I can really relate as I've had a couple of major uprisings in my kiln the last week. One of them was one of the layers for a multi layer piece I'm working on that had a bunch of lampwork as well, it's ruined and now I'm back to the torch to make more fish, grass etc. At least the other panel that I had in there didn't do it and it was on thin roll go figure..I did get some pulling in but Deb told me I'd get some of that with the thin roll so it was expected and it shouldn't effect the end result. I like how yours came out though.
BTW have you tried the new Tekta clear from BE yet? I just got some and will be trying it next week, also the new harder black which is not suppose to be as soft as the regular stuff.
ttyl merry xmas
chrisann

cfrech
12-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I feel for you as well and I'm not heartbroken because I expect a problem every once in a while and at least this was just a slab but you... I feel for you since yours was a more finished product!

This slab does have the Tekta clear on top and I love it. If only it came in a thin as well as the 3mm.

Now how to figure out how to use the bubble in a finished piece, it is rather cool in a strange way and I hope to never see another one this big again!!!

Have to figure out a way to make sure my glass is dry though, I have wiped it dry, left it out (ten minutes) and wiped it again and still sometimes get small bubbles/lines that ruin a piece. Next thing I'm going to do is get a hairdryer and blast the suckers! LOL!

beadinpath
12-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Your kiln wash might not have been completely dry. Gases rise up from the kiln wash and get caught between the shelf and the glass. You can prevent it by firing slower, using fiber paper or supporting the edges of the glass with small chips of glass to let the gases out before the piece slumps to the shelf. The bubbles sometimes form between the glass layers, you have to investigate to see what your problem is. Check out the Warm Glass site.

chroma
12-22-2004, 01:34 PM
. . . but it looks so perfect. . . I would claim I did it on purpose. And I can't tell you HOW I did it 'cause it's a family secret!
bj

crsann
12-22-2004, 06:30 PM
After doing a search on warmglass it looks like mine was probably a kiln shelf that is not perfectly flat. My shelves, one bought w/ the kiln and one bought at a pottery place. The group at warmglass say that if you want perfectly flat shelves you need to get them from bullseye, the pottery people don't care as much if they are boughed a little but it is a major problem for fusers if using kiln wash and not fiber paper. oh well I'm going back to paper as I never have that problem when using it.
chrisann

cfrech
12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Maybe I should ask what you'd do with such a bubble. I thought about cutting it out and using it in something but anything including fire polish of edges would deflate my bubble. I could cold work the edges but not sure what that would get me. I could cut a decorative shape with the bubble in the middle, cold work the edges and make a strange but unique necklace, add a few beads and a big price tag and someone would probably buy it...

So anyone with ideas on how to make use of the bubble?

juliecab
12-22-2004, 10:44 PM
NOt sure of any fabulous ideas, but I too would call it a "feature" not a "bug"... (sorry, I do software by day :) :) ) Kinda neat problem!

What would you use the slab for if you hadn't gotten the bubble? (I'm fusing illiterate)

daffodildeb
12-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Cheryl, I am *assuming* that you are propping the kiln lid with something until 500 degrees or so, to let any moisture vent, right? I use a 12" forceps for this--just the right size. Be careful to use kiln gloves to remove it, though, and figure out ahead of time where you'll put it!