PDA

View Full Version : evening pools

vhere
12-20-2004, 05:29 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-20-2004/53888_dunes500px_copy_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: evening pools
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 in square
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I paint at the coast whenever I can, using oils mostly.

This is a studio painting following on from these sketches, not from any particular one but synthesising ideas, colours,feelings, sense of place etc

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any feedback?

vhere
12-20-2004, 06:44 PM
other images below:

Spyderbabe
12-20-2004, 07:10 PM
It looks Wonderful -- any chance you could post it a little bigger?

Wayne Gaudon
12-20-2004, 07:19 PM
nice work .. I checked out some of your site and was quite pleased with the imagery you have created. You can post up to 600 in Width or Height on this site and bigger pieces sure are nicer to view .. great colors on this.

Welcome to the board .. Under Quick Links on the wc menu board you can upload your images without using the attachments.

vhere
12-21-2004, 03:35 AM
It looks Wonderful -- any chance you could post it a little bigger?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2004/53888-dunes_600px.jpg

I'm having a go at posting it bigger - hope it works

yes, it did - thanks for the quicklink tip :)

here's another done at the same time

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2004/53888-evening_600px.jpg

Wayne Gaudon
12-21-2004, 06:10 AM
You're welcome .. what is your approach. Are you alla prima, layers, over time or instant ??? It looks like you use the knife to scrape back alot to create atmospheric effect.

Mikey
12-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Vivien,

Beautiful paintings indeed so I'm just going to look and learn what I can.

Mikey

Tamana
12-21-2004, 08:47 AM
These are gorgeous!!! No crits - sorry. Love the melds...like reflections in wet sand.

Spyderbabe
12-21-2004, 10:04 AM
What beautiful work... I would llike to see your digital landscapes and abstracts printed on glass, such jewel like colors ought to have light shining thru them.
Really enjoyed your dreamy seascapes too.

Fagan
12-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Beautiful work!

Gilberte
12-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Good handling of colors, unusual and fascinating ...
Thanks for the larger images.

HRobinson
12-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure about the latter warm red being translated into the reflection of the forward pool and not into the waters afar. They do seem as if they're painted with superb verve. Best.

-Harry

vhere
12-21-2004, 03:16 PM
You're welcome .. what is your approach. Are you alla prima, layers, over time or instant ??? It looks like you use the knife to scrape back alot to create atmospheric effect.

the 2 canvas works shown large are studio paintings so there are many layers - some opaque and some glazed. I do like the way that colours shine through each other in glazing, giving a very different effect from simply mixing. These are built up over days or sometimes weeks. I don't use the paint very thickly as I don't particularly like it.

I do use a palette knife as well as brushes and do scratch back through paint to reveal the colour beneath. I'll also splatter or pour or trickle paint - whatever gives me the marks I need.

The image evolves and changes as I go in response to the needs of the painting (in studio work) These are in oil paint but I often underpaint in acrylics and then finish in oils. I also like to underpaint in acrylics on bare, unprimed canvas (having seen Hannemuhle's work). I like the watercolour-like marks that are achievable that way.

Others are done plein air and then they are done very fast - usually no more than an hour because the light changes. In those I record the colours and light and feel of the moment - I love the way that colours change so fast in our weather. (Dianne's Twain quote was so apt)

how about you? I had a look at your site and you cover a wide range of subject matter do you work plein air or from photos? they were interesting - Oh and what is casein? is it egg tempera?

vhere
12-21-2004, 03:24 PM
What beautiful work... I would llike to see your digital landscapes and abstracts printed on glass, such jewel like colors ought to have light shining thru them.
Really enjoyed your dreamy seascapes too.

thanks - I did actually print them on acetate and show them against the windows as part of the work in the final year of my degree and they did work well - I'd love to be able to do them in glass. It's interesting that you picked up on that. They aren't light fast but you can print on acetate designed for inkjets.

I looked at your site and thought your work was good - I particularly liked some of the landscapes - landscape III was probably my favourite - it had some lovely free marks in it.

vhere
12-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Vivien,

Beautiful paintings indeed so I'm just going to look and learn what I can.

Mikey

hi - you aren't that far away from me - if you ever get to Market Harborough I've got some work in an exhibition there in April. :wave:

vhere
12-21-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure about the latter warm red being translated into the reflection of the forward pool and not into the waters afar. They do seem as if they're painted with superb verve. Best.

-Harry

you may be right - but the reflections in the pools are of clouds above your head and not the ones in the distance - for the sake of the image it wouldn't have worked so well to have a red reflection in the sea - I suppose I could have added a thin thin line on the horizon of red? ah well I think it'll probably stay the same now.

HRobinson
12-21-2004, 04:31 PM
you may be right - but the reflections in the pools are of clouds above your head and not the ones in the distance - for the sake of the image it wouldn't have worked so well to have a red reflection in the sea - I suppose I could have added a thin thin line on the horizon of red? ah well I think it'll probably stay the same now.

That's just it. It just doesn't work for me because I've only seen red clouds in the distance but never overhead. It's definately a challenge to paint that particular red on water and not get mud! (Personally, I just avoided it. :) )

-Harry

vhere
12-31-2004, 09:39 AM
they can be overhead

- the most spectacular sunset I've ever seen in my life was on holiday in France, the whole sky was a rolling, glowing, incandescent, blazing crimson display.

We later heard that a volcano had erupted (I forget but think it might have been Etna) and it was the dust in the higher atmosphere causing such a dramatic scene.

it was unforgettable.

Cybergator
12-31-2004, 01:16 PM
beautiful...simply beautiful :clap: