PDA

View Full Version : New Filled Vessels....

Jennifer Geldard
12-17-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm loving this series of work I've been doing... Filled vessels.
The first is very organic... the feeling it's meant to convey is of a sea creature of some kind reaching out of a shell-ish object.
The second is self-explainitary ... a vase of flowers...I'm playing with mixing enamels and sand etc.. into the epoxy to blend it into the piece more.

Beads-Me!
12-17-2004, 09:27 PM
:eek: Oh Jen - those are amazing!! Absolutely gorgeous my friend!!!

swamperfolk
12-17-2004, 09:30 PM
WOW - totally different and totally Jen. I love what you have done.

Toni Lutman
12-17-2004, 09:45 PM
WOW WOW WOW!!!

Jennifer,

Those are just amazing. They're both wonderful, but that first one is incredible! I love it!!!

Toni

!ngridh
12-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Jenn...creativity is just ooooooooooozing out of you!!!!! WOW! :clap:

snootyvixen
12-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Jen - JUST STOP IT!!!! You're making me feel SOOOO inadequate!! How the heck am I supposed to try to get away with that "Pretend Jen" name tag at the next Gathering??? Huh??? You sure make life difficult for a gal!

Just kidding - those are totally wonderful, so unique and refreshing (and we could even use them for ashtrays when the hotel staff forget to empty the outside ones!!!)

OK - I'll stop now.

I'm just in awe .... really!

Vikki

Jennifer Geldard
12-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Just kidding - those are totally wonderful, so unique and refreshing (and we could even use them for ashtrays when the hotel staff forget to empty the outside ones!!!)

Vikki

LOL!! Now THERE's an idea! Personal ashtrays you can wear around your neck... just in case!!
Too bad it's so darn politiacally incorrect to smoke nowadays.. they'd sell like hotcakes!

BTW... do hotcakes really sell that well?

Thanks you guys :D

Paul Katherman
12-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Those are so cute. I love the colors in the second one. The detail is great. Can you wear these and if so where do you have the hole?

Booger
12-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Fresh, FUN, and Fabulous Ms. Jennifer!

You are a lightning rod for the muses. I had a young man approach me tonight in the store. Now.....if you are going to pursue the ashtray idea, could you please try one with BEANS in it, too??? All kidding aside, they are unique and great visual fun and I applaud you.

Admiring Ms. Booger

Paul Katherman
12-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Never mind I went back and stared at them and saw the loops on the sides. They just blend right in. Love them. :clap:

scupltorgirl
12-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Those are so cool. Between the forms, the colors, the enamels, and the etching you are creating such wonderful sculptural objects. Great talent, great expression. :)

Lori Peterson
12-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey Jen!
Well, you can just imagine how much I love the flowery one. But the black one with tentacles is awesome too!!! You're such a clever girl. I LOVE THEM!!!!

rosebead
12-17-2004, 11:29 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW! Those are amazing and beautiful!

gwacie
12-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Excellent! Love the first one (black base). Flowery one is cute too but the top one really speaks to me. Great job thinking outside of the box again creative lady :).

Jazzcurls
12-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Jennifer...those are wonderful...the first one is like sea anemones tentacles reaching out...you really did get a good feel on that one...if it's an orphan and needs a home...it would be perfect at my house near the ocean....(really is it for sale)!!!!

The florals are really cute too...I don't quite understand what you mean about epoxy??? are you filling the little vessels with epoxy and securing the flowers in after the vessel is finished???or making the flowers in the vessel???

Either way...very creative you are!!!!

Patti :wave:

G&S Lampwork
12-18-2004, 12:30 AM
As everyone has already said, they are absolutely superb. I have 2 questions -
1 - Where does the idea for doing something so unusual come from?
2 - I'd love you to elaborate on the enamel/epoxy theory. Is this done after the beads is made, is it fired on, is it during the process? Enquiring minds need to know!
Thanks for coming up with something so stunning, a love them both.

Rosie2000
12-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Wonderful work. It's right up my alley. I love working outside the box and experimenting. Great inspiration to pursue further and further. Nothing is safe :evil: The only limits you have is your imagination. :wave:

kyyardlizard
12-18-2004, 01:32 AM
Holy Moly!!!!! You amaze me.....those beads rock!!!

Zooziis
12-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Great job Jennifer!! I love them. That Black one really came together well. It was neat to see the parts and now the whole piece. Amazing!!

thing_what_squeeks
12-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Very cool. :)

I've never seen anything like that before.

JHDesigns
12-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Jen
Those are so awesome! I love them! Way to keep it fresh & new!
Keep the fire goin!
Jami

Jennifer Geldard
12-18-2004, 12:29 PM
I have 2 questions -
1 - Where does the idea for doing something so unusual come from?

It was a combination of things... I make my hollow vessels on the end of the mandrel, and as I was making one... building up each side to meet.... one side, (the bottom) let go (the release broke) and so I just stuck it in the kiln as-is. When I took it out, I was looking at it and wondering what to do with it and the idea to fill it with something was the first thing I thought of.
Also, I had been thinking about Diana East's new work. Have you seen it? She makes these little ball things on the end of steel wires and embeds them into her beads...very cool. http://www.diana-east.co.uk/
2 - I'd love you to elaborate on the enamel/epoxy theory. Is this done after the beads is made, is it fired on, is it during the process? Enquiring minds need to know!

The epoxy is done after all of the components are made. There's a hole inside the vessel where the mandrel was... (the vessel is basically half of a hollow bead made on the end of the mandrel). In the floral one, I put the end of the wires down into the hole, then I mixed up 2-part epoxy and filled up the vessel with it. .. then I poured in the enamel, so that it covers the epoxy. When the epoxy is set, I pour off the excess enamel.... some will have set into the epoxy permanently.

For the black piece, I had to wait until the epoxy was set slightly, and then put the boro stringers (which I cut and melted the top of each one so it rounded out) into the partially set epoxy, and then poured black enamel over the top....this had 2 purposes... to color the epoxy, and to hold the stringers in place while it dried.

Jennifer Geldard
12-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Jennifer...those are wonderful...the first one is like sea anemones tentacles reaching out...you really did get a good feel on that one...if it's an orphan and needs a home...it would be perfect at my house near the ocean....(really is it for sale)!!!!

Patti :wave:

Hi Patty, Thanks :D
Yup! They're both on ebay.

Tink
12-18-2004, 12:55 PM
THOSE ARE FREAKING FABULOUS!!!!! Totally swoonworthy, Jen!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2004/10179-thud.gif

toozygoot
12-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Jenniefer - I love them all but it's the top one I love best! My first thought was of enoki mushrooms. I know I spelled that wrong. But can you see that thought too? I love how your hands and mind play! Now to check on Diana East!

Hugs to you!
pat

toozygoot
12-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Whoa! Did you read the thinking behind "Little Thinkers"?!??!!! I am loving her new work! Thanks for the heads up Jen!

pat

Modesto
12-18-2004, 08:59 PM
You are such a beautiful gift Jennifer. :cool:
This thread held me for at least an hour...and then your e-bay listings!
Thank you very much for sharing. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fire Dancer
12-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Jennifer,

Those vessels are fantastic, thanks for being so generous and sharing the how-to's with us. A lot of others might not have been so giving with the details.

D.

AVCKimberly
12-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Absolutely fabulous!!!! Totally different!!

Lori Peterson
12-18-2004, 11:39 PM
The epoxy is done after all of the components are made. There's a hole inside the vessel where the mandrel was... (the vessel is basically half of a hollow bead made on the end of the mandrel). In the floral one, I put the end of the wires down into the hole, then I mixed up 2-part epoxy and filled up the vessel with it. .. then I poured in the enamel, so that it covers the epoxy. When the epoxy is set, I pour off the excess enamel.... some will have set into the epoxy permanently.

For the black piece, I had to wait until the epoxy was set slightly, and then put the boro stringers (which I cut and melted the top of each one so it rounded out) into the partially set epoxy, and then poured black enamel over the top....this had 2 purposes... to color the epoxy, and to hold the stringers in place while it dried.

I'd like you to further elaborate on the workings of epoxy....
How in the heck do you pour it in without gluing yourself and most of the surrounding studio accessories to it in the process? I've always been quietly in awe of those who can work with glue. :D

But seriously, Jen, these are awesome. I keep coming back to look at them again and again.

Mary Jo Wolf
12-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Jennifer

Thank you for sharing. Your work is beautiful, and my jaw dropped when I looked at them. They are so great!!!

Lara
12-19-2004, 01:10 AM
Jen

One work - AWESOME.

Lara

Jennifer Geldard
12-19-2004, 04:10 AM
I'd like you to further elaborate on the workings of epoxy....
How in the heck do you pour it in without gluing yourself and most of the surrounding studio accessories to it in the process? I've always been quietly in awe of those who can work with glue. :D

But seriously, Jen, these are awesome. I keep coming back to look at them again and again.

You know those wooden thing-a-ma-bobs that you use to grab a bit of honey in the jar to add to your tea....they're like balls on the end of a wooden dowel with grooves in it...
Here... this picture below:

Anyway.... you dip a toothpick into the epoxy, and it's just like molten glass.... all gooey and stuff... and you rotate the toothpick so it keeps a blob of glue on there.... and then you stop rotating it where you want the glue to go... and... ta da!! there it goes...... :D .... gravity is a wonderful thing.

theonlyduda
12-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Jennifer your beads are just amazing!! :)

Oh the simple pleasures in life... Isn't epoxy just the best! (Okay, maybe it could be a little better if it came scented in Vanilla... heehee!)...... :D

Jennifer Geldard
12-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Yes! Scented with anything actually, ..... That stuff is stinky!

Thanks everyone.
It means a lot to hear all of your wonderful comments.
It's wonderful to be excited by a new idea, and have it so well received.