PDA

View Full Version : The Blank Canvas

Joi
12-17-2004, 11:03 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-17-2004/15254_theblankcanvasf.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Blank Canvas
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 22x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I came up with this idea after staring at my blank canvas in the studio for half an hour one day.
The perspective may look strange, and it is. I painted the canvas I was painting on, and what was around it in the studio (I discovered I'm in a rather boring corner). The perspective is in relation to the canvas. When I looked up at the top of the canvas, I painted things at that angle, when I looked down at the bottom, I painted what I saw from that perspective.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Did that make sense?

DevineCreative
12-17-2004, 11:29 AM
LOL, I love it! That's turning lemons into lemonade! The only gripe I have is that there is no variable in color on the canvas. Now leaving it the way it is is fine because it simply further draws attention to the blankness of the canvas. The only thing about it is that it almost appears to be an unpainted area, thus creating an unfinished look to the painting.

Good thinking. Some people walk away from a blank canvas. So pat yourself on the back!

Pamela

shirleyq
12-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Great idea :D :D It gave me a good laugh this morning and it is executed well. I have no problems with the perspective.

Spyderbabe
12-17-2004, 11:44 AM
clever and fun

Gilberte
12-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Splendid inspiration you were having !

Joe Steiner
12-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi Lisa, I really enjoy your work.looked at your web site, and enjoyed that to. are you from Chicago? And where do you go to school now?

Wayne Gaudon
12-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Lisa .. that is a great key to unlock yourself and executed well.

jerryW
12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
nice divisions joi
could it be simplified further?
(almost photographic as it is)

Joi
12-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Pamela> Thanks! I had trouble deciding how to deal with the canvas itself. It did have more shading on it earlier, but I painted over it with gesso.

shirleyq> Thank you :)

Spyderbabe> Thanks!

Gilberte> Sometimes it just sneaks up on me when I least expect it ;)

Joe Steiner> Thanks! I actually live in St. Louis, but I visited Chicago several times this year, which is why I have so many paintings of Chicago. I go to school in a small town in northern Missouri, Truman State University.

Wayne Gaudon> Thank you, it was a rewarding experience

jerryW> I did have trouble knowing when to quit on this one.

Michael-Ann
12-19-2004, 12:30 AM
I love how your skew of lines (and the symbolism of the objects themselves-- life's distractions), brings the eye right to that tormenting canvas...

LarrySeiler
12-19-2004, 12:55 AM
hahaha...clever, but...well..I'd prefer a toned canvas! ;)

:clap:

Larry