PDA

View Full Version : Sweatshop art on overstock

laurali
12-16-2004, 10:02 AM
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later:

http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bin/auctions.cgi?PAGE=PRODDET&PRODUCTID=438320

http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bin/auctions.cgi?PAGE=PRODDET&PRODUCTID=436940

I couldn't tell from the description if the second one was an original or print. If these are prints from that seller, they could be reported for category violation (there is a separate category for prints).

I listed a bunch for free listing day but I don't know that I will continue much there after those run out, perhaps just on a very limited basis. There are no subcategories, which also makes it more difficult. My hits there are under 10 in some cases.

Laura

surreal
12-16-2004, 10:54 AM
It is a pity, Laura!

But you are right, in that it was bound to happen sooner or later.

:)

jspatton
12-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I am TOTALLY disgusted right now with Overstock. The Art category is absolutely inundated with non-art crap right now. I'm not even talking about sweat shop art; I mean cameras, phones, kitchen appliances, DVD's, shoes, etc. I've reported so many auctions I just about filled my e-mail box with report confirmations. O doesn't appear to be too concerned about this and hasn't done anything yet. There's absolutely no integrity in the art section at all....a buyer who wades through all the *#&! and actually finds some art should recieve an award for perserverance. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

wayfarer
12-16-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm reporting them too. The painted saw blades are a bit much too, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :wink2:

Chris

jcpower
12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi, what I find interesting of this listing is the description. It is consistantly inconsitant:
1) The title says "Paul Gauguin == Oil Painting", but right above the image reads "Great Reproduction of Claude Monet".
2) Right below the image it states "Handpainted and Signed by Morsetti", but in the top right hand side it says "Signed by the italian artist :S. Allegria". If you look closely at the bottom, right-hand corner of the "painting", the signature is "B. Linder". Huh?

-Chris

andymathis
12-16-2004, 04:51 PM
...a buyer who wades through all the *#&! and actually finds some art should recieve an award for perserverance. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I know very little aout Overstock and their auctions, but this statement made me chuckle! Thanks for the giggle. :)

idahogirl
12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Overstock has really declined in quality of late. There used to be a lot of good quality original art now there is a lot of mass produced stuff and it is hard for buyers to sort through it all. Too bad because it looked like a good alternative for awhile.

Dee

surreal
12-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Overstock has really declined in quality of late. There used to be a lot of good quality original art now there is a lot of mass produced stuff and it is hard for buyers to sort through it all......................

Dee
What you say is completely true.
:(

However I now have 49 bids on a painting on Overstock, the auction of which ends tonight! It started at $2.00.

*My mild excitement for a few hours until the auction ends."
:wink2:

But, I will continue to list on overstock, since I have made several sales there. Since the listings fees are so low, I am encouraged to keep listing.
:wink2:

King Rundzap
12-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Hi, what I find interesting of this listing is the description. It is consistantly inconsitant:
1) The title says "Paul Gauguin == Oil Painting", but right above the image reads "Great Reproduction of Claude Monet".
2) Right below the image it states "Handpainted and Signed by Morsetti", but in the top right hand side it says "Signed by the italian artist :S. Allegria". If you look closely at the bottom, right-hand corner of the "painting", the signature is "B. Linder". Huh?

-Chris

lol, I noticed that too. More than a bit confusing.

Anyway, I've always got to be the annoying dissenter :rolleyes: (I can't help that I have weird opinions) , but I don't mind sweatshop art, painted sawblades, etc. in the art category. I agree that stuff like cameras, etc. shouldn't be there, but it's ultimately Overstock's decision.

idahogirl
12-16-2004, 07:49 PM
What you say is completely true.
:(

However I now have 49 bids on a painting on Overstock, the auction of which ends tonight! It started at $2.00.

That is encouraging. I notice that it is a watercolor... do you often do watercolors? Seem to be getting lots of favorable attention..

:wave:
Dee

surreal
12-16-2004, 08:32 PM
That is encouraging. I notice that it is a watercolor... do you often do watercolors? Seem to be getting lots of favorable attention..

Dee
Hi Dee,

I do paint in gouache (opaque watercolor) alot.
:)

BTW, I like your abstract painting which is listed on ebay, very much!
:D

jspatton
12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Nina, I noticed that watercolor featured on the opening page of overstock's main page and recognized it right away as yours. Congratulations! This is going to be wonderful for getting your name out there even more. :clap:

surreal
12-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Nina, I noticed that watercolor featured on the opening page of overstock's main page and recognized it right away as yours. Congratulations! This is going to be wonderful for getting your name out there even more. :clap:

Hi Jessica,
My painting isn't there any more.
I just looked at the main page and didn't see it!
LOL

But, I have noticed that Overstock does feature artists' works on their main pages, which is great!

Thanks for the optomistic words, Jessica.
They are appreciated. :D

wayfarer
12-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Wow, Nina! That's incredible! Congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chris

drowningcreek
12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
lol, I noticed that too. More than a bit confusing.

Anyway, I've always got to be the annoying dissenter :rolleyes: (I can't help that I have weird opinions) , but I don't mind sweatshop art, painted sawblades, etc. in the art category. I agree that stuff like cameras, etc. shouldn't be there, but it's ultimately Overstock's decision.

I guess I am an annoying dissenter as well.... I rather like the saw blades.

Both of those auctions ended without any bids. go figure.

surreal
12-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Wow, Nina! That's incredible! Congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chris
Thank you, Chris!

Basically, it was a "fun" and exciting experience, more than a money-making one!
LOL