PDA

View Full Version : Theres a buyer out there for all art

PMurphy42
12-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to tell everyone .....no matter your skill level, no matter your type of art....etc......theres always a buyer somewhere.

A co-worker that I did a portrait commission for, came by today to pick it up.

She was looking at all my paintings, etc.

As I was going through several canvases stacked up to show her.....she says.....ohhhh that would look great in my bathroom.

When I turned around, she was looking at my computer desk, I was puzzled at first.....since there are none of my paintings on my computer desk.

I then realized what She was talking about.

My 17 year old son, took art I in school this year. His teacher was a grade school art teacher, prior to moving to the high school. Needless to say....she still teaches them as if there were grade schoolers.

Yesterday, he brought home this plaster mask and bowl, that he had made in that class. It was very childish in style and colors. He laughed about it....as did I. I was going to put it in the art file I keep for them.

She was looking at the mask....a fish...yellow and green. She wanted to know how much I would sell it for.

I called my son in, he started laughing, told her she could have it. She said, no way....never give your art away. He wouldn't give her a price, she wouldn't offer one....so I said....how about 10.00. They made a deal.

We are still laughing about it......I told my son.....your an artist now.

Anyway....sorry such a long post....I just had to share this.

ps....she didnt buy anything else of mine....she did like a couple other painting tho...said she had to talk to her husband.

idahogirl
12-15-2004, 06:18 PM
There certainly is room for all types of art. I have quit trying to decide if a piece is "good". Ones I love can fall flat and ones I am luke warm about are big hits.... go figure. Maybe your son will take up art now that he is a professional :D

Dee

conrad00
12-15-2004, 06:42 PM
I guess one guy's childish is another guy's naieve folk art :D I love a good piece of American naieve folk art, so I'd probably have bought it too :)

Lady Rando
12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
What a wonderful story. Congrats to your son on his first sale, may there be many more to follow. :)

ElizaLeahy
12-15-2004, 07:45 PM
That's a wonderful story, and very good for your son! Do you think it might encourage him to sell "outsider art" on ebay?

PMurphy42
12-15-2004, 11:19 PM
My son and daughter are both very artistic.....but find it boring at this time in their lives.

When they were smaller, we were always making things, and they loved it.

My daughter even has a painting done in crayons, that was matted and framed and hung in the town museum for about 6 months. She was in 1st grade when that was done. It now hangs on my wall.

My daughter has a wonderful imagination, shes always drawing, etc. I've tried to get her to do some art to sell on ebay, but she won't. She keeps asking me what she can do for extra money....I say......ebay.

Anyway....thanks for everyones comments. This will be a great memory for my son and I. :D :D

Fagan
12-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Patti...how funny I should see your post this evening. I met a woman at a Christmas party that was from Canyon Texas. They had moved here this year ....here being Warsaw, IN.

PMurphy42
12-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Wow Bev.....didn't catch her name did you?

gnu
12-16-2004, 01:30 AM
I reckon the young uns have a good eye for simplicity..my fave piece of my son's art is a mask too..really simple, really effective..
soemtimes we get to too much detail, perhaps we should aim for simple sometimes and see what happens.. :)

PMurphy42
12-16-2004, 01:33 AM
I agree Gill......my family always likes my half-finished paintings....maybe I'm overworking them??? :D :D :D :D