PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need Southwest Subject Matter....

sajemak
11-18-2001, 05:34 PM
Hello everyone!

I have recently been contacted by a local business that wants me to paint some 'southwest' style elements in her reception room. Her son is a paint contractor, and he has already painted the room sage green with nutmeg. And over the phone she mentioned things like pots, a brick archway, and cactus. I won't be meeting with her until Nov. 28th. But I wanted to get a headstart on some research for this particular style.

That is where I am having some probs. I've used google to do a search of southwest art, paintings, and style, but I'm not having very much luck capturing the 'essence' of this style. Does anyone know of any good resources for the kinds of plants that would be grown in pots in that region, as well as resources for southwestern pots etc. etc. ?

Thanks in advance,
Samantha

DuncanBerenice
11-19-2001, 09:40 AM
Hi Samantha

Have you tried doing a web search for gardening clubs or associations in the area you spoke of, they might be able to help. A gardening club, group in your own area might be able to help as well.

Duncan

baquitania
11-19-2001, 08:50 PM
Sajemak:

Here's a good link for the pots, it has tons of potter's work, though depending on the scale you will be producing these on, you might have to fudge alittle...
http://www.pueblopottery.net/
here's an image link for flowers from Sedona, Arizona
http://216.205.13.53/arizona/splants.htm

Hope those help...

Bobby

sajemak
12-06-2001, 11:17 AM
UPDATE:

I ended up going to the library yesterday....and found ONE book that had like 3 or 4 prickly pear cactus pics in it! VERY SMALL BOOK, but I needed something to look at more closely so I can work on shading and highlighting.....

I have to paint several prickly pear cactus for a local business...and I am finding it to be a difficult subject for me, or I'm making it too difficult. Coming up with a good composition has been a challenge in terms of this one subject by itself!....plate shaped 'leaves' twisting and turning in all directions, trying to decipher where all of the shadows would fall on each 'plate' etc. etc.

I am bound and determined to conquer this particular subject matter.....but after this....I don't care if I NEVER paint another prickly pear cactus as long as I live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: ;)

tammy
12-08-2001, 12:22 AM
You'd think that living in Texas I'd know something about cactus but sorry I don't. Don't have a one in my yard. Now if ya wanna talk mesquite trees we've got lots of those! LOL

fauxgoddess
12-09-2001, 09:16 PM
Hi Sammantha,
Well, this is right up my alley!! All I have to do is look outside. As you know I live in Phoenix Arizona. Pretty southwestie. The cactus are definately popular, also coyotes barking at the moon. Seriously. I hear them every night. Sahauros which are our large cactus with arms very popular here and bouganvillas are everywhere, let me add lantanas too. I know you are able to paint freehand since you are so talented but maybe check out lastencils.com as a guide. Mesquite trees are also native to name a few, another is the Palo Verde. Have one of those out front. Maybe a little bit of our animals too. Like coyote, gila monster, diamond back rattler. Must not forget those nasty little scorpions. Good luck.

www.phxacademy.com

Ruth
12-10-2001, 07:36 PM
Hey Saje, I just got around to looking at this, thinking I didn't have any info about southwest... however, there's a huge prickly pear cactus plant around the corner from my house, I'll try to remember to go get a picture of it for you tomorrow. Hope it's not too late ...

Ruth

sajemak
12-10-2001, 09:01 PM
Thanks Fauxgoddess and Ruth! Those 'prickly pears' have been a 'prick' in my side! LOL :D

Samantha

Reye
12-11-2001, 10:54 AM
Sajernak
You may want to try a group in Fort Davis Texas (W. Texas). there are a number of SW artists on that website that would be willing to help. Ann Pratt is one that paints in the SW notif.
Go to www.ArtOnDisplay.com.
Maybe that will help as well
Good Hunting
Jerry

Ruth
12-11-2001, 09:32 PM
Well, it rained and rained and was so dark and wet, I figured I'd wait till the sun comes out to get a picture. If I don't send you one in the next day or two, please remind me! I forget.

R.

sajemak
12-11-2001, 11:46 PM
Thank you so much, Ruth!

You're an :angel:

Sincerely,
Samantha