GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: books and flowers
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30*24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I started out wanting to piant some bright flowers and ended up fairly dissatisfied with the result.The flowers look well flat and there is just too much empty space...
I'm a beginner to this, cannot quite figure out what might make them better... suggestions?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I started out wanting to piant some bright flowers and ended up fairly dissatisfied with the result.The flowers look well flat and there is just too much empty space...
I'm a beginner to this, cannot quite figure out what might make them better... suggestions?

Wayne Gaudon
12-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi .. it takes time; there is a lot to painting.

This is very general so don't take it letter for letter but it should give you food for thought.

Volume is what you are after. You need to express dimension and that means volume. Look at a cube for example. It has sides and top when viewed from any position over it except directly above it and then it would have only top.

Flowers are the same .. each petal has a side, top, and bottom. In your piece you need to see some (not all) of the tops, sides, and bottoms. Each little dimension you add will give the work more volume and that will give it life.
As well, the lighting will have a direction. That means your flowers will have light on one side and shadow on the other. Light, middle, dark, and reflected values following the direction of the light. Your vase needs the same treatment .. light, middle, dark, and reflected light.

As a beginner try doing just a vase, then a vase and one flower, then a vase and two flowers. It's more about study in the beginning and making paintings after you have done some studies. I hope this doesn't sound like I am talking down because I'm not much more than a beginner myself but I have learned a couple of things along the way and most importantly is the need to do studies and lots of them.
When we make paintings we get uptight trying to produce that thing of beauty that can stand before the world but when we do studies we let those hangups fade as we just want to explore and see what happens.

Even without paint we can study. Set a vase on your desk and study it for a few days. Don't attempt to paint it, just look at under different lights and see what you can find. At the end of the week do a painted study of the vase. You will amaze yourself at what you will find and if you can apply your paint in the manner that you want to apply it you will see a very beautiful vase as a result of just a study. It's not the complexity of things that will make the piece but understanding the simplicity of it.

All the best,

4luvofcolor
12-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Wayne ,Thanks much! Appreciate the suggestions... will try doing the studies and ask more question! :wave:

Gilberte
12-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Wayne gave some excellent advice, interesting for me to read too !
Is your painting really that dark or is it the photograph. On my screen the books are invisible ...
Keep sharing ...

4luvofcolor
12-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Gilberte , the photograph is much darker than the original..do you all alter the picture digitally b4 posting it?

Gilberte
12-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Gilberte , the photograph is much darker than the original..do you all alter the picture digitally b4 posting it?

Personally I (almost) always take the digital snaps outside without sunshine, and I take at least 3 or 4 different ones which I free-crop, occasionaly I lighten for details ... :wave:

Wayne Gaudon
12-15-2004, 07:06 AM
is this closer to your original colors.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2004/5946-pic.jpg

Esmeralinda
12-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Very good start. Nice composition. Keep up the good work.
Wayne's has good advice. As Gilberte, advice was interesting for me too.

Linda :wave:

4luvofcolor
12-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Wayne thanks for the digital alteration. And yes, that is certainly closer to what I had painted.
I apologise for the delayed reply, I was up in Toronto ,CA on Business. I drove there from DC via Lake Erie and alsmot all the way thru the landscape was fantastic.
I'm ins[ired to paint some snow covered houses and trees now. And I never painted snow before.. should be fun. I've just started on one so will post that next and await all your comments.
Happy Holidays! :clap:

Michael-Ann
12-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Something Van Gogh-ish lurking in this painting and I like very much.

Wayne Gaudon
12-19-2004, 12:21 PM
You're welcome and I'm glad for you .. feeling inspired is so nice ..

Tamana
12-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Something Van Gogh-ish lurking in this painting and I like very much.

:cool: I thought you'd said: 'goo-ish'.

Agreeing with Linda, great start!!