GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Deanna
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 32 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I started this a few months ago and never got around to finishing it up. Went back to it today and I believe it is finished.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Except for the eyes, they need a little more work. Anything else? Thanks, Jim

Mikey
12-14-2004, 07:04 AM
Jim, I very much like the warmth of this painting, so homely and comfortable. It is hard for me to offer any crits of your work, although maybe I think Deanna's lower left elbow should be slightly more prominent.

Mikey

Tamana
12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Ah, a different kind of landscape. :)

Beautiful pose, natural. I particularly like the strap hanging off her shoulder. It's the attention to little details like that, that really make a difference in natural vs. posed.

Gilberte
12-14-2004, 09:17 AM
You certainly didn't choose the easiest of poses. I'm really amazed and admiring. I wouldn't touch the eyes, in the eye of the viewer they are too far away see any detail but IMHO the chin is a bit too large.

Bravo ....... wish I'd painted it !

artbabe21
12-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Jim....I so admire your work.....love the warmth of this palette. I have to say this pose is not comfortable looking, it's in the hip & legs...looks a little contrived to me. Is this a new one or the long ago one you did of Deanna, which I believe was on the sofa too? :) Happy holidays, hear Scott will be there.

Wayne Gaudon
12-14-2004, 10:13 AM
I like the work and the orange purple color scheme
The eyes seem fine to me but the cheeks and mouth seem to need a stroke or two to me.

Michael-Ann
12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
I remember this great painting! I think a touch more on the lips might be nice, it is hard to say though, as the photo compression might have mudged that area of her face a bit. So nice to see the finished work, love the colors in this...the white of her slip is awesome.

Andrew Rance
12-14-2004, 12:56 PM
I love the colours and textures in this. The pose looks a little uncomfortable, though - the lip of the sofa doesn't follow across in a continuous line either side of the figure, if you know what I mean. Also I find the little fleck of white on the sofa distracting (or is that just some kind of aberration in the photographic process?). A very good painting, nonetheless.

earthbot1
12-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Nice work..the face is smeared on my screen. I like the buttery look it has. Interesting pose.

dornberg
12-14-2004, 10:29 PM
the directions within the figure work interestingly with the directions in her surroundings

Dhuot
12-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Jim , That is nice to see you paint figures !!! And above all, women !!

Ahhhhhhh

nice

Like Kathleen said, maybe the lips area would need a bit more depht....

Continue with figures :clap:

woodguy
12-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Thanks, Mikey! I have done some more work to this. Does the elbow need more?

Thanks, Tamana! The strap does it for me too :)

Thanks, Gilberte! How's the chin now?

Thanks, Cathleen! Yes, I think this is the same one you are thinking about. It has been sitting in my studio for months as I pondered how to finish it. The pose may seem a bit contrived but I really like the "design" of it, and Deanna just struck it naturally!

Thanks, Wayne! Yes, the mouth :crying: that is why it has been sitting for so long. Maybe now I have finally got it.

Thanks, Michael-Ann! To me the white is what makes this sing.

Thanks, Andrew! You are right about the line of the sofa....duh, I never noticed it. I guess I was too hung up on enjoying the dangling strap and fretting about the face :) I did go back and show a depression in the cushions fron her weight. That is what I had intended to do all along. But I just overlooked it I guess. The white fleck is from the digital "twilight zone"

Thanks, Earthbot! By going back to the face I lost that buttery look...it didn't work well with the rest of the detail in the painting. The buttery look also was a cop out so I did not have to stress out over the difficult facial
features :)

Thanks, Bob! I am happy with the whole as an interesting and dynamic composition.

Thank you, Daniel! Will be doing somemore. Women, of course :clap:

woodguy
12-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Hmmmm? Looks just like the original here. I went back to the image and changed the focus, maybe it will come out better this time. Sorry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2004/5058-deanna20.jpg

Dhuot
12-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Yes Jim, A lot better.

You know, I like the very small paint application...like tiny bit everywhere that forms a whole.

woodguy
12-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks, Daniel! This now shows better the changes to the face. But, man, it looks so harsh because of the sharpening in Photoshop! It really is much softer in real. I always just use a tiny bit of paint...thin paint. Scrubbed on and built up in layers. In starting a painting over, there is nothing for me to scrape off...some whites, perhapes, but the rest are primarilay thin glazes. Jim

Dhuot
12-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Oh, I know, this screen/monitor does not at all show the real colours, dimension and depht of the work.

I saw in real some WC work of others, and was I ever amazed of how differently they look in real. !!!!!

haaf
12-15-2004, 04:45 AM
master of glow
Caroline ;)

sugar tree gal
12-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Jim, Love the palette, this is a very hard pose and you have done well, but right under her nose and across that area it looks blurry or something on my screen.. Maybe if you have a close-up of the face..or maybe I need new glasses..ha...the eyes look fine at the distance you have her. IMO Good job, :) Janice

mattlart
12-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Jim,.your figure work seems to really be coming along.
I'm always delighted by studying your technique in rending light,.and particularly the tones and deep, rich lushness of the couch fabric;

Your figures,..at times,..feel a bit stiff,.particularly when painting Deanna,..and this one shows improvement in that area. I wonder if you subconsciously feel pressure to paint her in a particular fashion that gives you some difficulty?
Certainly,..my experience with figures is that they can be tricky, difficult,.and beguiling. I believe that I'm just BEGINNING to begin to understand them and paint them well myself.

Undoubtedly,..with practice,..you will master them as you have with all of your other chosen subjects! :) Happy Holidays,-S