PDA

View Full Version : quiet refusal

themanda
12-13-2004, 11:34 PM
22x28 acrylic on canvas

horrible picture. those are pearls in her hair...here they just look sort of blobish.

Smileawhyl
12-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Amanda, it took awhile for me to see her. For some reason my eye was seeing an open 'purse-like' object gaping beneath. Now I get it!

I have to say that I am still impressed at this leap to acrylics from you, as well as your prolific passionate rendering (although I didn't see the scarab on the sparkly paintings—wrong foot maybe?). This in combination with your creative visualization is a tremendous asset and very entertaining.

And even though she looks very lonely, I think she is probably the most beautiful woman in the room.

ashling
12-14-2004, 03:10 AM
the precious fabric within
tettering on potentiality
some thing of inertness
shields/hides/protects
is it fear
is it anger
is it pain
please little girl
turn your heart around
to let in the brightness :)

ive always admired how you paint drapery :clap:

ps.... on reflection
ive changed my mind for it to read
let out the brightness
sheesh... ofcourse!

MountainSong
12-14-2004, 03:14 AM
When I saw the puppet I found myself emotionally moved to great tenderness.
Your work always feels straight from the heart themanda.
:D

themanda
12-15-2004, 12:21 AM
thank you all very, very much.

patti, i'm stunned by it, too. hopefully the well won't dry up too soon, as i personally see myself improving with each piece. that's the way it should work, huh?

ashling, i *love* painting fabric. it's so soothing and comforting to me. glad it looks decent.

ms--thank you so much. that makes my eyes all moistish. :D

ArtistJensen
12-15-2004, 04:41 AM
Horrible, no way, it's not. There's something about this painting that makes me think. She is looking towards a light. She seems to be sad and lonely, standing there all alone looking towards the light. What is the light. Is it a secret love, an admiration? Is it hope? The light is very bright against the more subdued colors in the edges. The little blue piece of cloth makes a nice cold contrast to the warm colors. I think the drama and the warm colors would be even better with a colder hue in the shadow parts. The cold/warm contrast makes the light even brighter and warmer. The feeling of her dragged against this bright warming light would be stronger with the cold contrast.

"Do I choose to go towards the light or should I stay in the cold shadows."

Nice story and good painting! Keep up the good spirit Themana.

Themana, I've not been drinking, those words are my humble opinion.

WeiQi
12-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Amanda, this is plain gorgeous.
The way you handle the light, the composition and how you make the eyes travel, the simplicity and the power of this piece... oh... (clappy guy here)

themanda
12-15-2004, 09:09 PM
viking king and weiqi, thank you both so much. i feel very protective of this little girl for some reason...she's fragile.

i think this is my favorite piece to date. maybe. :D they're all my favorite for a minute or two.