PDA

View Full Version : Film Noir

jaymarvin
12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
This is gouache on watercolor paper. I did this right off the top of my head. So I won't to know if this works or if it looks like . . . .

Thanks!

Jay

Tamana
12-14-2004, 09:03 AM
The title is perfect for the piece. The colors, though eratic, balance beautifully - especially that deep blue.

Just glad to see you keeping on, Jay. Push through it -- it's all in there.

Did you give up oils?

mame
12-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Curious re your thinking re the title.

I don't get it. "film noir" being an early 1940's American film style usually shot in black and white, visually expressing a mood of bleakness, gloom, depression etc.

Visually, imagery aside (although the cigarette works re a nod to film noir :wink2: ), colors/composition/lighting don't "say" it.

jaymarvin
12-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Curious re your thinking re the title.

I don't get it. "film noir" being an early 1940's American film style usually shot in black and white, visually expressing a mood of bleakness, gloom, depression etc.

Visually, imagery aside (although the cigarette works re a nod to film noir :wink2: ), colors/composition/lighting don't "say" it.

Thanks Tam, and you right, Mame I guess it would be better in black and white. I just couldn't paint it that way. So other than does this work? Can't tell if it does.

mame
12-14-2004, 09:50 AM
or perhaps it's saying something else.

I've often not been able to title works until they've "aged" a bit.

May be the case here - especially since you said it came from a subconscious place. It may not come to you for a while.

Keep on keeping on :)

ordie4
12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
i like it with the colors
as is, but if you give it
a look in grayscale and
ramp up the contrast it
really has a cool look about
it.....just playing off of
the "film noir" comments above....

anyway, keep'em coming
regardless

o4

Tamana
12-15-2004, 08:32 AM
I must be the only one who saw this as NOT an actual film noir...but as modern day people WATCHING film noir and affected by the mood of it, eg - lifestyle ("bleakness, gloom, depression etc") exhibited by the drinking, smoking, death-like trance looks etc.

Kindof like, "You're not in Kansas anymore." Hellooooo technicolor. :)