MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-13-2004/5946_pondering.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pondering .. The Art Of Messy Suggestion
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14 inches
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
messing around .. wanted to loosen up.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
fire away ..

Mikey
12-13-2004, 05:22 PM
What is she standing in Wayne. Well, OK, I had a girl sitting in a stone step once.

Mikey

Wayne Gaudon
12-13-2004, 05:30 PM
behind a rock ledge.

Frida200
12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
I asked myself the same question when I first looked at the painting. But came up with the rock ledge explanation... so I guess it works. Was that intended? To make the viewer wonder about that? Because it is very unusual...

I like the looseness, especially in the leaves and ground area.
It looks a little bit blurried, I suppose that's only the picture?

I would maybe darken the upper edges a bit, to have the darks as intense maybe as in the shirt? ... but who knows if that would be a good idea, that's just me... :)

Nice atmosphere in that forest!

Claudia

dornberg
12-13-2004, 11:40 PM
the blue shapes are quite important

bloodjelly
12-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Definitely more than messy. I think the highlight on the rock in the foreground is a little bit out of place, and I want to see more colors, too! I don't know, the freeness of the strokes invites freeness of colors in my mind. Nice job and hope it loosened you up as intended.

Tamana
12-14-2004, 08:44 AM
That blue is strategically placed, especially against that yellow. The touches of orange are lovely. Her expression is definitely one of contemplation.

earthbot1
12-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Good exercise Wayne. I agree with the blue being significant. It seems everyone here is starting to try new things!

cadman
12-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I like the feeling of shape you create with those broad impasto strokes. It's almost going cubist.

Esmeralinda
12-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi Wayne,

I love the way you painted this. Feel a lot of mood ! I can feel the spontanéité. I also love where you put the blue.

Where did she get her sweater ? I would love to have one like that.

Linda

Gilberte
12-14-2004, 09:22 AM
atmospherically correct ...
strokes are very Wayne-like (wipes the brush with the oil rag, all the time ...)
the sky showing through the trees is great.

Wayne Gaudon
12-14-2004, 09:49 AM
thank you all very much ..

I didn't get it as free as i wanted .. I wanted the figure solid but the forest to be just a haze of madness (like Nature) where one's eye could find things they find in the forest. The forest is not as deep in atmosphere as I would have liked but I think I may try this theory again with different tools of construction. Maybe I'll also decompose the girl to interact more with the forest.

Gilberte .. Knife mostly .. brush on the girl.

Where did she get her sweater ? I would love to have one like that.
Linda .. I made it with my brush :D Maybe I should start a sweater line of clothing :D

haaf
12-15-2004, 04:08 AM
great rhythm of the colors
agree wiith Dornberg and the blue is amazing
Caroline ;)