MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-13-2004/45754_watching.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Watching
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18 x 18
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
comments welcome

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:

katelynalain
12-13-2004, 05:56 PM
wowww,
this is really wonderful. i feel like i'm there. love that RED and the warmth in those windows! is it raining? or cold sleet? anyway.. the painting is very inviting. i looove it. i'm having trouble finding a crit..

Frida200
12-13-2004, 06:23 PM
How beautiful!!! :clap:

I fully agree with Katelyn. Is that golden light a reflection from the setting sun? Very pretty.
The building reminds me a little bit of the sixth floor museum here in Dallas, you know, the bookstore building from which Lee Harvey Oswald is said to have shot JFK...

Anne, do you frame those drawings? Just wondering... it's really nice.

Claudia

P.S.: Hey! I don't see any cars... ??? LOL

Dhuot
12-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Anne the red is exquisite.

Is it 26th street in west Chelsea ????

ok ok, the streets there, all look the same......hum !

Pretty nice. I was there a week ago, and would go back right now. I think New-yorkers likes me !!! :D

dornberg
12-13-2004, 11:37 PM
the buildings give in to shapes and color

bloodjelly
12-14-2004, 12:02 AM
The crosshatches add some movement and hustle/bustle to the painting which gives a nice hint of city life. I really like the way you handled the light and shadows, particularly on the windows and surrounding areas. I also like the fact that you did an urban landscape, which we don't see as much around these parts. Is the perspective off on the 3 windows in the foreground?

earthbot1
12-14-2004, 08:24 AM
I like this much...of course I am a lover of these cityscapes. Lots of interest points. Music to the eyes!

Tamana
12-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Love how you handle pastels, Anne. The blue used in the windows pulls the forground of the composition into place perfectly. The reds bleed and the golds hum deep.

Gilberte
12-14-2004, 09:05 AM
The front of the buildings are well painted, their uneveness depicted perfectly.
Please tell me what are those sort of silos on top of the buildings. Ventilation ? Wish I'd feel comfortable with pastels ........

Esmeralinda
12-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi Anne,

It's nice to see a cityscape. I love the touch of orange in the windows and the crosshatching. Nice painting.

Linda

Wayne Gaudon
12-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Wow .. I can't imagine doing all those little windows LOL
Perspective is a bit off but that doesn't bother me .. the coloring is very beautiful. If anything I would think another version would be to leave the background as a haze of suggestion and that would push it further back and push those beautiful frontal buildings in all their color to the forefront.

Great coloring.

Artistanne
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for looking!!! :wave:

Katelyn: It was a very cold windy day--I threw in/exagerrated those oranges to give the windows/interiors warmth and invite you in

Claudia: That building does look a little like the Dallas Book Repository...no cars this time, buildings will do...LOL I frame most of my drawings in a simple white mat and modern-style charcoal grey wood frame.

Daniel: When are you coming to town again? :D

Dornberg: The buildings do give in to shape and color, probably because that is how I think of them when I paint them--shapes and colors...

Bloodjelly: I'm sure the perspective on those windows is off, I didn't check it or really think about it when I was doing the piece. ;) I did go back and look at my reference photo after reading your comment--the perspective is weird because the photo is taken from street level looking up, but I haven't included the ground in the composition, so it kind of throws things out of whack in a disconcerting way that I like. :)

Asimo: I love cityscapes...well, ok you all know that already! :cat:

Tam: Thanks for looking and your encouraging words!

Gilberte: Water Towers!!! That's what the silos are--I have been fascinated by them since I was a kid, I have no idea why!

Linda: Thank you!

Wayne: Funny you mentioned a version without the windows, because I almost left them out, but decided I like the texture they give to the "background". They didn't take that long--I don't use a ruler or anything I just bang 'em in. Perspective being off obviously doesn't bother me either. LOL I've noticed in some of your recent postings that you're getting away from the rules as well...it's fun, isn't it???? ;)

Thanks again everyone!!!

Wayne Gaudon
12-14-2004, 10:49 AM
I've noticed in some of your recent postings that you're getting away from the rules as well...it's fun, isn't it????

Oh yea .. it's no fun sitting in a box when you could be hanging on for dear life. :wave:

haaf
12-15-2004, 04:15 AM
great
I like it upside down too!

just thinking .....will it get more abstract if you smudge the applied diagonal lines somewhat?
Caroline;)