GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dancer
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A4 size
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting is of a classical Indian dance form called "Bharatanatyam". Here , the dancer is lacing her feet with "ghungroo" (little bells which enhance the rhythm of the dance).I used to paint as a teenager and have begun painting again after a long long gap of 30 years.This site has provided me with great encouragement and has been an invaluable tool for learning and any comments about composition,color etc will be much appreciated.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on color,brushwork,contrast ..

Gilberte
12-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum ! Thanks for sharing your work.

The colors are unusual but interesting, good contrast.
Comment ? The white space behind the dancer and under the curtains attracts a lot of attention. For a dancer she has a very stiff neck and shouldn't her head be more bent as she's concentrating on lacing her feet ?
My 2 cents for what they're worth ...

Esmeralinda
12-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Hello Duggi,

Nice to have you with us. Thanks for posting your painting :wave:

I like your subject and the colours you used for the dancer.

Keeping it subtile (discret) I think the background could be more interesting. I do like the brilliant shine in the curtains.Furthermore, I think her face could be more relaxed (less strick). A few warmer strokes, maybe. I also agree with Gilberte that she could be looking at what she is doing unless it was intended like this.
I would have used a wider size paper in width.

Hoping this is helpful, it is what I see and feel.

Linda :)

duggi
12-14-2004, 05:10 AM
thank you gilberte and linda for your comments .yes , the neck is very stiff and her eyes are not concentrating on what she is doing .i will be more careful next time . :wave:

Tamana
12-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Well you've already had critques so I have nothing to add; however, will say that I really like her adornment. And the positioning of that foot is perfect.

haaf
12-15-2004, 03:57 AM
a very Welcome and
Great
and do more
and use the whole canvas from edge to edge
Caroline ;)