PDA

View Full Version : The Coffee Break Dec 13 - 19

laurali
12-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Welcome to this week's thread.

The Coffee Break is a place to post those wild and crazy Ebay links to auctions which challenge a sense of "why?" A place to share a story with friends in the forum. A place to talk about your day. In simple terms, its a fun thread for sharing over a cup of morning coffee or afternoon tea.

Greg Long
12-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Evening all, just got a check in the post for 500 euro towards florence next year :D , well its a start. Only another 5,500 to go.

PMurphy42
12-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey everyone....guess I'll start this one.

Trying to finish up a commission portrait...it's eating my lunch. Have to have it done by Wed Morning. I'll post it when I'm done.

Not much going on this week. I did paint a quick christmas card, while I was waiting for layers on the commission to dry.

I posted it in watercolor forum too. Don't know how to post a link to it...so will just repost it here. Hope no one minds.
Watercolor 6x4.5
Have great week everyone!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/20210-redbird.jpg

laurali
12-13-2004, 04:33 PM
That's darling, Patti :-). I have been wanting to do more birds. I started a series of Peace Doves but I'd like to do more birds in tree branches too. Maybe some blossoming springtime scenes with bluebirds.

I used to do my own Christmas cards, many years ago. Now, I just pick a suitable painting and order them from cafe press (I switched from watercolors to oils a few years ago, which wouldn't work too well for handmade cards).

I had a few commissions last month for pet portraits. I was glad to finish them. Commissions make me feel pressured but all the buyers were happy.

Laura

[QUOTE=PMurphy42]Hey everyone....guess I'll start this one.

Trying to finish up a commission portrait...it's eating my lunch. Have to have it done by Wed Morning. I'll post it when I'm done.

Not much going on this week. I did paint a quick christmas card, while I was waiting for layers on the commission to dry.

I posted it in watercolor forum too. Don't know how to post a link to it...so will just repost it here. Hope no one minds.
Watercolor 6x4.5

PMurphy42
12-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks Laura :)

He's a fantasy bird.....the reference was a robin...lol.

I'm going to have to check out cafe press....I've been hearing alot about it.

TeAnne
12-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Ahhhhhhh he so cute Patti :D

Did everyone get an email from Sellathon about a NPB list?

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that we're in the process of compiling
a big "deadbeat bidder" list from lots of different eBay sellers, and if
you have any non-payers you'd like to add to the list, we'd appreciate it.

We'll make the master list available to everybody who submits at least one.

For fun, I also went out and bought some prizes for the people who
submit the most, but even if you have just one or two NPBs, that would still
help a lot!

The URL to submit "deadbeats" one-at-a-time is:

http://www.viewtracker.com/deadbeats.html

For submitting them in quantity, the URL is:

http://www.viewtracker.com/deadbeats2.html

Thanks,
Wayne

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxx

PMurphy42
12-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks Teanne :)

sandge
12-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes, I got that, Te. I'm not sure whether I think it's a good idea.

Lovely picture, Patti! :D

On today's news there was an item about a rare 'blue robin' that has appeared in the UK. Here is a link to the story on the BBC which has a picture:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4092353.stm

PMurphy42
12-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks Sandra........that blue throated robin is beautiful.... irredescent like a hummingbird. I would love to see one in real life.

wayfarer
12-14-2004, 10:32 PM
I started a new job. I had gone to painting fulltime, but found I was missing the routine of a job, so I started looking for part time work. I'm working as a receptionist at a vet clinic. So far, so good. Lots of cute kitties and puppies to play with. Helping me cope with the loss of my own cat. Have to say too that it's so nice to be around people who love animals. This will probably inspire a lot of dog and cat paintings, I'm thinking.

Chris

TeAnne
12-15-2004, 01:46 AM
On the 16th of November 2004 my ex mother-in-law passed away. The last time I saw her was in April 2004, I hadn't seen her for 15 years. She was very frail @ 77. I loved her very much, so I did what I had to do to get thru' it. I'm still tweaking this and when it's finished, I will be sending it to my ex husband. this is how I would rather remember her, Xmas 1989.

TeAnne
12-15-2004, 03:18 AM
I finished her. A daytime pic.

laurali
12-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Hi Chris,

See if they'll let you hang an animal painting or two in the lobby (with a card next to it with your name) and keep some business cards handy. That would be a great source for commissions. And, you would have met the animal too, instead of just working from a photo.

I can never be completely happy without a cat. I generally have a minimum of two (if my husband didn't keep me in check, I'm sure I'd be a total cat lady). I love dogs too but I don't think I'm up for the extra work. My mom & I walk her dog everyday.

Laura

I started a new job. I had gone to painting fulltime, but found I was missing the routine of a job, so I started looking for part time work. I'm working as a receptionist at a vet clinic. So far, so good. Lots of cute kitties and puppies to play with. Helping me cope with the loss of my own cat. Have to say too that it's so nice to be around people who love animals. This will probably inspire a lot of dog and cat paintings, I'm thinking.

Chris

laurali
12-15-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm sorry for the loss. It's very generous of you to give the portrait to your ex. I only speak to one of mine voluntarily but he's quite a good friend (I have to occasionally speak to my son's father also but now that my son is a teenager, that has become rare).

Laura

On the 16th of November 2004 my ex mother-in-law passed away. The last time I saw her was in April 2004, I hadn't seen her for 15 years. She was very frail @ 77. I loved her very much, so I did what I had to do to get thru' it. I'm still tweaking this and when it's finished, I will be sending it to my ex husband. this is how I would rather remember her, Xmas 1989.

BryAli
12-15-2004, 09:44 AM

Te,

She is a lovely woman, and you have portrayed much caring in your portrait. I've got to say that I really like this one, it may be favorite...oh no there is one of Vinni that I loved...lol...You did a wonderful job and I think you ex should be (hopefully will be) very honored to have this piece from your heart. I'm sure it will mean a lot to him. I'm sorry that you've lost someone who was close to you. Painting is good medicine, though, so keep it up! :)

surreal
12-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Hey everyone....guess I'll start this one.

Watercolor 6x4.5

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/20210-redbird.jpg

Lovely painting, Patti!
:D

surreal
12-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Yes, I got that, Te. I'm not sure whether I think it's a good idea.

Lovely picture, Patti! :D

On today's news there was an item about a rare 'blue robin' that has appeared in the UK. Here is a link to the story on the BBC which has a picture:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4092353.stm
Don't have time to read the story, Sandra, but the pic of the blue robin is priceless!
Thanks for posting the link!
:)

surreal
12-15-2004, 10:24 AM

Chris

Hi Chris,
What a wise move on your part!
I am glad that it is helpful for you and that you are enjoying your job! :)
Oooh! What a nice side benefit if the job will inspire artwork!

I worked as a librarian cataloging books in a large art museum's library. The library received a gift of hundreds of books on French 19th century landscapes; looking over these books and the extremely poetic landscapes caused me to change my style at the time and begin to do renditions of landscapes! It was a terrific work experience...:wink2:

Take good care of yourself, Chris!!!
The job sounds great!

surreal
12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
It is a marvellous portrait and marvellous painting, Te!!!

So sorry about your loss.
:(

idahogirl
12-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Lovely, sensitive work....

Dee

PMurphy42
12-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Sorry for your loss Tea.....I too lost a very loved mother-in-law 10 years ago......I still think of her often, and miss her just as much.

It is kind of you to do this lovely portrait of her, and to give it to your ex. Shows the big heart that you have.

surreal
12-15-2004, 11:43 PM
I have had some luck this week. I have got bids on 3 pieces right now and had 2 store sales.
And, I didn't fp anything!

I wonder what next week will be like for sales.
:rolleyes:

surreal
12-16-2004, 02:30 AM
Another store sale just occurred.
I am pleased about this stroke of luck.
:wink2:
I need to paint more nudes.

Maryem
12-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Congratulations, Nina! :clap: :clap:

My sales are (temporarily, I hope) non-existent........

Mary

TeAnne
12-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Congrats on sales you guys :clap: :clap: :clap:

I totally finished the mum-in-law. Put lights in her eyes (there were none in the ref pic.
http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_movin/Mumh2.jpg

BryAli
12-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Congrats on the sales, Nina!!! :clap: Hopefully they'll continue on through the holiday season. :)

Chris~ Congrats on the job!! It would be great to be able to incorporate your art into it! I hope you're enjoying it!

Mary~ I hope that your sales will pick up some, soon! :)

Te~ She looks great!! :D When do you plan on giving it to your ex?

BryAli
12-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Not much going on with me, at the moment...lol...yeah right.

I've got two papers to write for school, and I've got to grade another students paper. I feel horrible to say this, but the paper is so bad, I feel like it'll be nothing but red ink! I don't want to hurt their feelings, but I guess I've got to do it correctly so that they may learn.

So, I won't be on here much for the rest of the week, but I'll be checking in now and then. I'll be thinking of ya'll!

:wave:

surreal
12-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Thank you Mary and Alishia.
The sales have been a matter of luck, methinks, since I haven't had many views of my work on ebay lately.
It was a matter of the right people viewing the art at the right time!

Good luck with writing your papers, Alishia!

Your sales will pick up, Mary!

wayfarer
12-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Thank you, Nina. You are so sweet!

Thanks, BryAli!

Chris

hillrune
12-16-2004, 12:39 PM
TeAnne, it looks like the painting of your mother/law can speak!

Mary

TeAnne
12-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Thank you everyone so much for the comments on MIL. She was a wonderful lady and I broke her heart. I hope this will help her forgive me. When I saw her in April, she had a tear in her eye and I will always remember it. She was so good to me when I was married to her son, I just hope that by giving him this painting, it will be like giving something back.
I'm rambling I know but this painting became so important to me.
I will post it off on monday if her hair is dry.

surreal
12-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Yesterday, I waited on line at the Post Office to mail some paintings and didn't bring a book or sketchpad with me!

I waited on line for 1 full hour!!!
:eek:

LOL

sandge
12-19-2004, 12:10 PM

Our post office queues are terrible - especially as they are closing lots of branches because they're not making money. So, when you do find one, it'a packed. But they queues do move pretty quickly and I have never waited longer than about 15 mins.

Things I wonder about while in the queue are ... what is it about the post office and stamps and stickers. They just love covering everything you give them. They are just like my nieces who are 5 and 8 in that regard.

Also, why are many post office branches turning themselves into something approaching pound shops. If I wanted to buy cheap tat, I certainly wouldn't go to the post office to do it!

By the way, WC was offline again today - and at my prime surfing time! I did bump into Te elsewhere. But where does everyone else go? What are your favourite places to visit when you can't get your WC fix?

laurali
12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
I was dreading shipping this month but my post office extended its hours. It's been opening at 7 am (my son has to be to school by 7:30 so it was perfect to drop him off then go by the post office). There were no lines then. They only have the extended hours tomorrow then it's back to normal. I will miss that the following couple weeks. It seems like it stayed pretty crowded until after the 1st. That's assuming I actually have something to ship. I've been getting more watchers than usual but less bids :(

Laura

Yesterday, I waited on line at the Post Office to mail some paintings and didn't bring a book or sketchpad with me!

LOL

surreal
12-19-2004, 03:20 PM
By the way, WC was offline again today - and at my prime surfing time! I did bump into Te elsewhere. But where does everyone else go? What are your favourite places to visit when you can't get your WC fix?

I am on a very short break at work now :( and so my response is brief.

I like www.artscuttlebutt.com
It is an excellent eforum - of course not as excellent as WC

TeAnne
12-19-2004, 04:29 PM
We have plenty of PO's and agencies, it's the banks that close down because they say they're going broke.

I feel sorry then for the elderly who have to travel further. :(

Our POs have been doing Saturday deliveries for the xmas season, which is great.

My son came around yesterday and saw the painting of his Nana. He approved. :)

Greg Long
12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
We have had a one-day strike....now they seem to be on a go-slow or work to rule........... :( . Are all post office workers Pig-ignorant and awkward? or is it just ours? :mad: :mad: I had to go to three different P.O.'s to get a postal tube, the first one just said "We are to busy to look for one out the back" after I'd que-ed for an hour...FUME. Help!!!!!