PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 8 - Light and Shade - Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

JayD
12-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Basic 101: Class 8

Light and Shade

Materials: For this class, as I am sure some of you are already doing, you can use the full range of drawing pencils, you may use mechanical pencils or any pencil which will afford you the rich darks that you will need for the project.

Light and dark are the consequence of each other. They play upon one another and co-mingle in a tenuous but mutual existence. They are the perfect example of action and reaction. Light and dark are the things that scary is made of or, more appropriately, mood and atmosphere, ambience and setting. They are the great influencers of emotions, setting the stage for Hamlet-like broodings or the bubbling merriments of Noel Coward’s Blithe Spirit.

In a single community project, we will be exploring light and shade.

There are properties to light and shade: There is artificial light that you can control and there is natural light in which light controls you. In our project, which is outdoors, the property is natural light but we have control over the project because it is a photograph frozen in a single moment. For the general discussion and not the project we will be referring to objects lit artificially.

For the time being let us only deal with ONE light source. Light falls on an object and separates into distinct regions—these regions BLEND into one another—this point is very important. The brightest region is the point where the light directly hits the surface of the object and the darkest region is where the light source is least effected by the light source. Simple enough. BETWEEN the two extreme regions of light and dark there exist other regions of varying degrees of light and dark. The region that lies midway between the lightest and darkest region is called the MIDTONE.

When shading an object establish these three regions FIRST then lay in the other regions of varying degrees. MAKE SURE THAT ALL REGIONS BLEND INTO ONE ANOTHER.

When you do a drawing it is a good idea to create a tonal scale so that you have a good grip on how you will proceed with light and shadow. First lets do a simple tonal scale. For this exercise, I am only doing four degrees of shade but you can have as many as you choose. Note that I am only using one pencil—in this case, a 2b—by varying your degree of pressure you can create an entire range of values—again by just using ONE pencil (See Figure 1).

Exercise 1:

Now lets, try the same exercise on a sphere. Draw your sphere and then shade it accordingly. Mentally mark your bright light and your darkest dark and then locate the center value (the mid-tone). Once you have drawn in these values then move on to the lesser values and complete the sphere. Try this exercise also on a cone, cylinder and square.

Exercise 2:

Below you will notice a photograph of a tree. I took this shot myself early one morning. Your task is to take this tree and reproduce its texture and its values. I have also, for your convenience, provided a grayscale for you to use as a reference.

Exercise 3: Now that you have conquered the tree, the last step is to put SOMETHING in the tree that means something to you personally—something that will identify this as your tree. It could be a tree house, a person, a cat, a ball, a swing, anything that you so choose.

Good luck and Happy Drawing!!!

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 12:08 AM
JayD,
That is some tree there! I really like this as I have a project I need to get done that has a tree so this will be great. Lucky me! :D

I assume we can extend the tree to beyond the limits shown?

sultry
12-13-2004, 12:27 AM
lol wow Jay this tree looks spooky to me lol

I love it because it scares me and its a challenge just like the spider was lol

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 12:30 AM
GULP . . .

. . . CJ runs screaming from the room and hides her head under the covers . . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_runner

mothsailor
12-13-2004, 05:16 AM
I'm with CJ on this one! :eek:

sultry
12-13-2004, 06:42 AM
GULP . . .

. . . CJ runs screaming from the room and hides her head under the covers . . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_runner
ROFL , CJ your great to wake up to lol,

Will be afc this moring due to errands will be back around noon to co sub again if needed Ann.

Oh &

ahem...cough ... cough

clears throat & gets ready to sing ...

ohhh geesh .... go look on the Birthday thread all ready did it :D

Happy Birthday Boss :D

JayD
12-13-2004, 06:52 AM
speaking of subs--who is assigned for lights and darks-I was thinking it is Deb but she can opt out and just work on the project and pick another later--if that happens then Sultry you can try your hand at main sub. Who is on the list--I keep losing it in the long threads :D

sultry
12-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Ok Boss, I thought it was Ann. I need to run out for the morning Jay but I will be here the rest of the day.

JayD
12-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Ann--if you are subbing let me know--I keep losing the list!!! :D

Mary Woodul
12-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Hi JayD, Happy Birthday again I just saw your thread, sorry I didn't see it yesterday. Your saggitaruis just like DH.......mmmmmhh!!!

Hi, Cathie, Dave and Sultry, I'll (((gulp))) along with you. See you all later, got to clean house. :eek:

JayD
12-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Mary, thanks again--Saggitarius--that means I'm the Ass-half of a horse! :D Hmmmmm......

Enjoy the tree and don't forget to add something to it--that is the main reason for the worms eye perspective. I knew you folks would be up to the challenge. :evil:

BTW, I think Stoy may be featuring the tree as well--if he does, then feel free to cross post and Marilyn_H will be tackling the tree as well. :)

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Birthday Jay. Wishing you the best throughout the year!

I'm subbing Jay, unless I "flub the dub" lol, I'll be a round. Sultry said she would also help and I'm sure the other members will step in and offer comments and suggestions as well. If for some reason I am not on for a long period of time it will mean my ISP is down. This has been happening almost weekly and is getting a little tiring.

I will copy the Lesson Jay for the pdf, then Cathie and whoever else has it on their site can place it on theirs :)

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Good morning, Ann! Would you mind sending the pdf for 7 and 8 to me by e-mail? When I click on your link I just get the little x-box.

BBL . . . have to get ready for work.

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 09:07 AM
I sure will Cathie :) I'm working on it now :)

JayD
12-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Judi--part of the main goal of the course is not just to teach drawing but to foster and encourage the use of imagination in order to expand the photo beyond what you phsically see and pull the result more out of the artist's mind's eye. So part of the project is to add something to the picture like we did with the still life.

So YES--Please do what you will with it and have fun! :)

g7i7n7a
12-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi,
Thanks once again, Jayd. for all your hard work and time!!! :clap: have been looking forward to this lesson. hope you have wonderful day!! :wave:

g.
there is also a guest lecture on light and shade if anyone needs it.
thanks

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Good reminder Gina! This tutorial is done by Lisa and is a good one: Here is the link for it: http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/light-and-shade/light-and-shade.htm

Also, taken from Jet's Links in the main Drawing Forum http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232255, here is another one that is very useful. After reading the first page, be sure to hit the "Next" button because it goes on to more detail. http://www2.evansville.edu/studiochalkboard/s-grays.html

Another reminder is to rate this thread :D.

I'm learning a new pdf program so hope you will bear with me until I get the lesson available for everyone. Here is the link in the meantime for the HTML for Lesson 8 that you can either print or save to your hard drive: http://www.atreesse.com/WDL/Class8LightandShade/class8lightnshade.htm

My mail is coming through slowly but I'm on-line checking in periodically if anyone needs anything :)

After last week's lesson, today is quiet - Could it be we are all tired rofl.

g7i7n7a
12-13-2004, 12:07 PM
thankyou Ann, for the reminder to rate the thread.
still unfamiliar with alot of WC, appreciate that.
and for all the extra info.
can't wait to get into it. :wave:
g.

Jet
12-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Hi guys and Gals !!

JayD's photograph has a great deal of textures, shape, volume and tone, so it is an excellent piece as a learning tool...

I have made 2 digital representations using a digital technique of 'counter-lighting' called 'dark-sky' tech, as it just changes the sky 'tone' and everything else remain the same (or fairly close)... It is used in forensic photography, for revealing 'hidden' details contained in photographs, not easily seen under normal conditions...

good for detecting positive/negative spaces too...
--------------

Crossposted here by JayD's suggestion...

Hope it helps for a better drawing

:cool:

Mary Woodul
12-13-2004, 01:13 PM
This will be fun :eek: Judi, so sorry, you were the first one to post and when I said good morning I forgot to move upward again, I guess I was still asleep. Anyway good morning again all and Judi, Ann and Gina.

Ann, I'm usually in an out all day long so if I can help let me know, I can't give advice on this but I can answer the posts.

Jet as always thank you for you help making things easier. :cat:

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Gina, my pleasure :), we are here for one another, like your reminder and Jet's posted attachments. With everyone giving and sharing we can handle this week for Jay and support each other (would someone hold me up please while I faint from fear :D).

Jet, great pic. Look at all that texture!

Hi Mary and thanks. Any and all help is appreciated and I bet you will be surprised by what you know when doing this lesson.

Has anyone read the book and do you have any questions you would like answered?

Cathie, I'm getting ready to zip the pdf's and will e-mail to you. I'm slow so hope you aren't in a hurry lol.

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 01:40 PM
No hurry, Ann. I'm at work so it'll be 7 or 8 hours before I can get it posted.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_watch_clock.gif

Jet, thanks for the pic - sure makes it easier to see details in the tree.

sultry
12-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Hiyas everybody, :wave:

I just got home and wanted to post this to help others with their spheres. I will go back and look at thread and c&c. :)

But I need to take care of domestic & business first.

I did the sphere as 3 values then another with more values, 3rd sphere is with 8 values with vertical & horizontal lines.

Ann as your helper this week, I have a tip for everyone regarding light and shade....

Tip....

First you must be in a darkened room with only candle light or light from the TV is ok.

Look at your finger and examine the values,

You will see the side where the light shines is bright almost like a line (this will be illuminated by the light).

The next middle value is dark but visible.

The next value is almost to dark to make out your finger.

Memorize the values...

Now turn on the light and look at your finger again,

Do you see the light illuminated line? Yes but faintly it has blended more into the mid tones.

As the darkest dark value has also.

This will help you to understand the magic of light & shade. :)

cleo99
12-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I'd like to say that they made me less intimidated, But I'd be lying!

I'm sure they will be helpful!

I've never been afraid of trees before....

g7i7n7a
12-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Hi ann
not directly related to the lesson, but can we give some points to jet, he has started another thread thingey, with links to exercises , a super fantastic
idea!! :clap: :clap: (can't wait for time to do these.) so do we give author points or....how do we do this?
thanks,
g.
thankyou , Sultry for the chart :clap:
maybe, Queen Ann shalt dub thee "official chart subbie for the King (jayd)", ...henceforth!

JayD
12-13-2004, 02:09 PM
This is probably the wrong place to help Jet's thread out--what you do is go over to his thread and make sure he gets a 5 star rating. That way even though we may want to thank him--the rest of the forum will get to see the appreciation as well and maybe join in. :)

Blah
12-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Hello everyone in Class 8 :wave: and a Very Happy Birthday to JayD.

Sultry...that is an excellent tip...thanks, and Jet, thank you for the counter-lit versions of the reference picture.

Blah

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Ok Cathie, thanks :)

Sultry, good tip and your help is always appreciated :)

Good idea, Gina, we open up Jet's thread and we can rate it and give him mentor points if one hasn't already been given to him for the month :)

Hi Blah :wave:

I quickly did some of the shapes from the book and it is attached. If the object is round your core shadow (the very darkest shadow) will normally be slightly away from the rounded edge, gradating to medium then to light as it rounds the object toward the light.

If your object is squared or rectangular, the darkest darks will be at the sharp edges of the corner nearest the light.

Always at the base of an object where the object gets the least light, it will be very dark as it doesn't get any light. This helps to sit the object on the ground plane.

Hope this helps :)

sultry
12-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Thank you Ann for posting this ( I do not have the book).

I am glad you show the darkest and lightest on the different geo shapes :)

YW everyone who thanked me (sorry pressed for time today) cannot go back and ty one by one :(.

but you all know who you are

Ty for the comments on thread 7 too.

I love how everyone is progressing it is like watching a rose bud (inspiring artist) become the beautiful rose (educated professional artist) it is meant to be. :)

When I can think of tips Ann I will post them for you... since I am pressed for time I cannot really C & C everyone today.

sorry for that :( besides, I am sure CJ & Barb are glad I cannot do it :) ;)

edited to add...

Do you know if we are supposed to post this one in stages too?

Mary Woodul
12-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Blah, the last post of your drawing was excellent.

Ann, yes you can use my photos anytime, and thank you for the grafic explanation, I will start working on it this afternoon.

Sultry your tips are always so good and easy to understand, thank you.

Gina, I'll fo to Jet's link also, thank you.

Hi Cathie and Cleo, how are you feeling today Cathie?

I've got my hands full today but I'll be back.

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Sultry, Jay did not say whether to post as we go but I think that would be a "good" thing. Then we can offer comments, tips, and help when needed and wanted.

Thanks Sultry, any tips you or any member have would be welcomed by all of us I'm sure.

I'm having lunch at the computer then hope to start my first sketch and will post as I go.

Judi, I hope you are out there somewhere. Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed you and Sultry leading the class last week. You both were a big help. Are you relaxing today? :D

Cathie, the pdf's have been sent. The direct link to this class lesson is in my signature as well for members' convenience.

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Hi Mary, I think we x-posted lol. Thanks for the use of your photos, that would be great :)

Hope you get some rest time from your busy schedule as I do everyone that has to work, and or have obligations. My work is in the dryer right now (laundry) lol.

Gina, I saw the bottom of your earlier message :D and thought it was hilarious. The only Queen Anne I knew was beheaded and hope you all don't want to do that during or after this class rofl.

sultry
12-13-2004, 04:05 PM
hugs Mary ty & I would like to ask you if I could use your photos also in a painting?

Ok new Tip...

This may of been done before but not sure.. I just thought of it as I was under the light in my office.

Hold a white paper on the pad directly under the light

Now hold your hand over it Make sure it is directly inbetween light above and paper below.

Do you see your hand's shadow?

You should see 3 values of it

You will see a light value ; a dark value & a mid value

Gradually lower your hand to the paper

Do you see the values coming together To make one value?

Think of this in our sketching values except visa versa

We want the 1 value to become 3 or more :)

Seeing it with our own eyes helps us to remember for our left side of the brain.

Our right side does not need proof like our left side

This excercise, will help our left side of the brain to catch up to our already imagative and creative right side of the brain. :)

Ok hope this did not confuse anyone

edited to add....

lol, I am doing left side work right now but I have New Age music playing so my right side is going to burst with ideas lol.

JayD
12-13-2004, 04:29 PM
please everyone, POST AS YOU PROGRESS so that we can get an idea of the stages and make comments.

I want you guys to collectively shoot for photorealism. You DONT HAVE to get there--just shoot for it. It will make you really focus on getting those values down. :)

Mary Woodul
12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Of course you can use my photos Sultry, I'll post some in the RIL but lately I can't seem to get the focus I want so I am still hinting around for a new camera. Just got a good scare, my cp froze on me, I thought it was catching something but it's fine now I hope. Did I understand that the book report is due next week, does that mean we have to read this week?

Ha,ha Ann we're doing the same kind of work. :mad:

JayD
12-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Your book report is due at the END of next week. They can be books that you already read--just give us the scooby on them. :)

L2isa2
12-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

Did some drawing this afternoon on this week's lesson 8 !

I am wondering if the tree is an oak maybe !!

Well below is a pic of exercise 1 with the values scale and the sphere
then the 2nd pic of the values and the sphere again but blended!
exercise 2 is a rough one of the tree ! just ot get the feel for the tree !!

C&C definitely needed

Regards
Lisa

JayD
12-13-2004, 05:10 PM
OK--let's play guess the tree--I was hoping that someone would ask--CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THIS TREE? :evil: I will post the answer later this evening.

Mary Woodul
12-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Wow, those look so nice Lisa, and the tree is mighty.

Thank you, JayD for clearing the book report doubt.

L2isa2
12-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Thank you Mary , appreciate the comments :)

Jayd , do you have a pic of the tree in leaf please ? it would be easier to identify with a leaf or flower to go with the bare branches :D

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Lisa, that is really good work on the spheres and the tree. You do such wonderful shading.

Please Jay, Lisa, Sultry or whomever, correct me if I am wrong on this critique, ok. Lisa, on your sphere, if you would move the very dark area that rims the sphere in about a 1/8" or 1/4" and then have a mid-dark area along the edge it would be more accurate. In any round object, the core shadow or darkest shadow is not along the edge but just in from the edge.

Your tree is wonderful. You have a real grasp of values and drawing.

One tip I learning when drawing or painting trees is that they grow up toward the light so the tops of the trees will usually be lighter in value. They may still be dark but not as dark as the lower area of the limbs.

Jay, I'm guessing a Walnut tree.

L2isa2
12-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Thank you Anne , for the C&C :) I really appreciate it :)

I was not sure whether to move in slightly on the darkest shading on the sphere to allow for some reflective light, but now I will thank you :D !

Will do the sphere again :)

Think I have missed something here , what kind of book reviews ? :confused:

regards
Lisa

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Is it a pecan tree?

I thought the book report was the week AFTER Christmas . . .

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi Lisa, yes, there will always be reflective light on an object because of what surrounds and the surface it sits.

One other note is that there were be the dark area where the ball rest on a surface, which will be just as dark if not darker than the core shadow because the sun doesn't shine there lol.

There are four things to consider when considering light and shade.

1. Where the light hits the object - lightest

2. Where the area is farthest away from the light source on the object, core shadow (darkest) then gradating on a rounded object from dark back to light.

3. Reflected light, where light hits other objects surrounding the main object and bounces light back to the object and affects the color of the object.

4. Cast Shadow, which will be directly opposite the light source and fall on the surface plane (what the object is sitting on) behind the object.

If you take a simple object and place on a light suface such as a piece of paper, preferably light color for now, shine a direct light on it then squint your eyes. By squinting you can see your lightest lights and darkests darks. Then you have a range to work within for the other values.

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Afternoon All.
Ann,
Relaxing...LOL. I got dressed, went to work, looked at the calender and said "Boss, I'm leaving" and left to shop. I do this a lot in Dec. Got a lot done. :clap: :clap: I feel better about Christmas in that respect, when you have to shop for 15 people. I do not feel so overwhelmed. Now I am relaxing :D . Drawing relaxes me a lot.

JayD,
I was going to guess it was a pecan tree(?).

Hey, I think another name for this lesson could be 'Getting over your fear of the dark". LOL. It was really exciting to do the exercises and watch the shapes emerge as they did.

Lisa, I cannot believe you got your tree done already! Beautiful!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Here's my post....

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Hey Cathie, :wave: You beat me on my guess. :(

Ann,
To quote you: "In any round object, the core shadow or darkest shadow is not along the edge but just in from the edge." That is what I learned about when I was studying colored pencil books. I agree with you, I have done those exercises (actually posted them in a previous Class when we had the WC blackout) as I hadn't printed out my lesson plan. The 'How to Draw What You See' book didn't mention that at all for this lesson and was wondering about that myself.
I think this may be a more basic lesson and that is why it wasn't mentioned? Guessing.
Glad you have brought this up.
Also glad you enjoyed the first Subie class. It was an experience!
I have enough trouble looking at my own work, let alone tell someone what needs corrected on theirs. But it is easier to spot areas that need corrected/fine tuned on other peoples work than your own.

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 06:44 PM
If we get a second guess, mine would be walnut. If we don't, it wouldn't.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-mowahaha_smilie.gif

sultry
12-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Ok I was sketching the tree but I went on into excercise 3
JayD...
Now that you have conquered the tree, the last step is to put SOMETHING in the tree that means something to you personally—something that will identify this as your tree. It could be a tree house, a person, a cat, a ball, a swing, anything that you so choose.

Well Jay & class, the tree represents to me earth and spirit. I see ancestors of my past and my sister has asked for a picture with buffalos in it. So I am killing 2 birds with 1 stone on this project.

Hope its ok Jay to put what I see (inside the tree). :D

Geesh told you my right side was ready to explode with ideas.

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi y'all :wave:

I did another fairly quick sphere and will post it showing the core shadow, etc., just for reference. I hope the writing shows as I did it in Paint and then resized in Photoshop and it looked a little weird.

Judi, Excellent shapes and gradating values on all your objects. Glad the info I posted was correct lol. Would hate to mislead anyone. Glad you got to do some Christmas shopping and now having a chance to relax.

I think critiquing our own work is so much harder because we have seen it so much. So when fresh "eyes" look at it, it is like looking through their eyes and seeing it anew and in a different way.

I have a finer appreciation for what doing these classes entails and I've just started. Jay you have my admiration for the classes but also for your stamina. This takes a lot :)

Do you all find that once you start drawing that you become so zoned in on what you are doing that you forget to do anything else lol. I do, and time just flies by.

Hi Sultry and Cathie, :wave:. Cool tree Sultry and great imagination.

g7i7n7a
12-13-2004, 07:12 PM
oops,

sultry
12-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Hiyasss Judi,

Very good shadowing :)

Oh Ann that is a !!!~~~KAV~~~!!! great reference sphere :clap:

whats the oops about Gina???

ohhh ty Mary for letting me use a pic

Lisa good shading you are right to listen to Ann she knows her lights and darks ;) I see you sketched the negative space when working on the tree it is a good likeness. :clap:

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Nice personalization, Sultry! I am disappointed, though, that the tree limbs aren't made of slinkies . . . that's how I intend to tame this monster!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_cherry_trees.gif
I will fear no tree (yet)! I do have to cram everything into a short week, though - we're flying to Montana Friday for a birthday party, not home until Sunday night, and I don't anticipate any free time in between.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_HB_plane.gif
And Happy Birthday to JayD, too!!!

Ann, you and your sub-subbies are doing great with the examples and tips . . . I'll be glad when I get home and can look at them properly. (Can you tell everyone is in meetings except me???)

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Take a look at this site . . . some great light and shadow stuff!

http://www.anticz.com/drawing1.htm

sultry
12-13-2004, 07:26 PM
lol CJ good eye, you caught me. They should of been slinkys but I got carried aways on my old indian.

I promise to shade them as slinkys though....see even the sub subbie needs to hear good C & C. :)

JayD
12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
ok, cant give you a leafy picture because I have been planning this picture all summer and waited for the leaves to drop.

Are you ready for the answer? Its a Gumball Tree!!!

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Gina, what is really funny is that my married name at one time was Ann Seymour and I used to be teased about the exact same thing lol. I laughed when I read it so no "Oops" needed lol.

Thanks Sultry, glad you liked the info. I think Lisa knows a lot about the values and shading Sultry after seeing her work. Lisa aren't you the person that wrote the Guest Lecture for us on Light and Shade? Or am I confusing you with another Lisa?

Hey Cathie, you are in a meeting except it is with us lol :D . Thanks for the "great job" comment :) I know Sultry is and all the rest of you that contribute to making this work. Maybe an hour here and there will get you to a finished tree before you go. I was just breaking the tree down into cylinders/shapes before I started drawing it. Thanks for the link too. I'll open it as soon as I finish this.

A trip to Montana sounds wonderful. I love that country in the Northwest.

Jay, you got on that tree. A gumball tree, is that from Australia or somewhere?

****I have to be away tomorrow morning as my "caregiving" means taking my sister to the doctor. Will there be someone around that can fill in? It could be just an hour or it could be all morning.****

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Oh, sure, Jay. You waited for the gumballs to get ripe and drop off before you took the photo! Just like a graphite guy to remove all the color . . . :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_jelly_beans.gif

Can you guess how watercolor woman would like to personalize the tree???

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Don't walk around under the tree!

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Cathie, that is an excellent explanation of light and shade on the different forms. Thanks so much for sharing this. I learned a lot :)

Wonder what color the gumballs were when they dropped and what flavor???

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Dave,

I got a 9B sketching pencil today, remember I wasn't sure?.... well now I am. :D

JayD
12-13-2004, 08:14 PM
The gumball trees are in my yard--excellent shade but the spiked balls will kill you. How is everyone doing--any problems thus far? I am trying to stay in the shadows while the subs....er...sub. :)

g7i7n7a
12-13-2004, 08:30 PM
that is funny, i had forgotten she was beheaded.
from now on Queen Ann,(in the most respectful way, as you are a most gracious of hostesses.

dumb question - what is the collective part of this collective lesson??

sincerely,
simple simone

ps thanks for the link Cathie, (maybe you can get some drawing in on the plane.)
JUdi, i am finding drawing becoming relaxing too, now that i'm getting over the exasperating part. (that makes a helluvalotta sense) :)

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Jay, don't stay in the shadows, come out into the light for awhile :) I do have to be away tomorrow morning and it will be all morning as I also have an appointment at 11:00. So the only problem is having the class covered from 8:00 to noon or so (at least that is all the problems I am aware of :))

Gina, you asked "what is the collective part of this collective lesson??" I'm not sure I understand what you are wanting to know?

g7i7n7a
12-13-2004, 08:53 PM
sorry Ann, I must have misunderstood, i'm probably getting that mixed up with something else.(overloaded brain again)
I will be home at 10, if that's any help. I don't know what i could do though.
g.

idcrisis55
12-13-2004, 08:58 PM
No problem Gina lol. Cute avatar. Is that you as a baby?

Anything anyone can do will be appreciated although I'm sure you all can handle everything without a "babysitter", right :D

Guys & Girls, I have to call it a night. I should be up early to read the thread before leaving so see you in the a.m.

Sweet Dreams all of you :)

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 09:07 PM
'scuse me while I butt in a minute . . . :wave:

Gina, I think the 'collective' part may be that we're all drawing the same thing. There were several choices in the first lessons, but in this and the last, only one photo. If that's not right, maybe Jay will jump in with the answer . . .

JayD
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
I will jump in anyway and say, Right on,CJ!! The idea in this phase of the clase is that you critique each other and help each other to finish the picture. That is why you only get the one project. This keeps you from hurrying along and not getting full benefit out of the drawing experience. I also want to see your individual spirt put into this tree theme--to let you know that ALL is right and nothing is ever wrong when it comes to style and theme.

marilyn h
12-13-2004, 09:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/4759-Graphite_tree.JPG
Decided to scan. It is larger than this. This gives you an idea how it is coming.

Marilyn

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi Marilyn, :wave: Your tree looks really neat!

Ann,
I cannot help you during the week day daytime, but if you need help some evening or during the week-end (but not Saturday-my son is coming home from the Navy for the holiday :clap: :clap: ) just ask. I will be happy to help you. :)

Mary Woodul
12-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone :wave: Wish I had time to comment on all those beautiful shadings but I've just got to get to bed, I get up tomorrow at 5:00. Just two questions.....Sultry, am I seeing two heads of goats leaning on the ancesters head?

JayD is that the same tree we have in Chiapas that is Chicle? Does it have brown hairy fruit?

Ann, I'll be home all morning so if I am of any help I'll can check after DH goes to work at 9:00.

Nighty, night , see you in the morning. :wave: I'll post some progress tomorrow. :o

Cathie Jones
12-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Oh Marilyn! That is one fantastic piece of art - just as it is! I can't begin to imagine how you'll finish it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_not_worthy

Ann, I received the pdf's and they're posted with the rest of the lessons on my web site. Thanks for helping out while Deb is so busy.

I need to clarify the 'book report' week. I thought it was the week after Christmas, when I'll be gone most of the week . . . earlier in this thread someone said it's next week . . . :confused:

Gotta go scribble now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/23460-z_garfieldwave2.gif

Deb Leger
12-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Ann, thanks for doing the pdf conversions for me right now!!! If you need help with that program, just write.

Jay, that is one awesome tree! And trees are one of my favourite things to draw!!

Happy Birthday Jay!!! 46 or 47?

Everyone is doing awesome at their work - I wanted to say that because I don't have much time to comment like I used to. Once Christmas is over, things will get back to normal for me. Whatever normal is......

Deb

mothsailor
12-14-2004, 03:48 AM
Dave,

I got a 9B sketching pencil today, remember I wasn't sure?.... well now I am. :D

Thanks! 9B...that must be very dark! I'll have to look out for one of those.

Things always hot up in class when I'm in bed!

Anyway, here's my "progress" so far. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get it to look the same in digital form as it looks on the paper...you can't see the detail.

I was under the same impression as CJ regarding the book reports, by the way. I thought it was the week between Christmas and New Year that we were doing them.

idcrisis55
12-14-2004, 05:28 AM
Cathie, glad you and Jay came through with the answer to Gina's question because even the question was beyond me :)

Marilyn, your drawing is gorgeous already.

Judi, thanks for your willingness to help in the evening should it be needed. I appreciate it a lot as sometimes I go to bed very early depending on how tired I am :). How wonderful that your son is coming home for Christmas. That will make it even more special.

Mary, great thanks. Just knowing others are here to help answer any questions helps a lot :)

Glad you got the pdfs Cathie. It was so simple after I figured it out lol.

Hi Deb, no problem dong the pdfs. Glad to see you. Only a couple of more weeks and maybe you can breathe a sigh of relief that the rush is over!

Dave, your tree is looking very good. I love the textures you have in the bark, Really nice values.

Like Dave and Cathie, I also thought the book reports were to be done while we take a break for Christmas or something like that.

JayD
12-14-2004, 07:30 AM
I am open to doing the report between the week of christmas and new years if that will be easier for everyone. Just let me know--this is a pretty flexible class.

JayD
12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Marilyn--outstanding-I am glad that you can join us this time around. This is an example of taking some realistic and stylizing the look. It sings of you.
Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave, Nice start--I like where you are going with the texture--am pulling up a chair to watch. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
12-14-2004, 11:06 AM
I am open to doing the report between the week of christmas and new years if that will be easier for everyone. Just let me know--this is a pretty flexible class.

Good morning everyone :wave: JayD that would be perfect for me because I leave next Tuesday and I would have to do it this week, but I will wait and see what the rest of the class decides.

Marilyn your tree is grandiose, it has a lot of surrealism that I like.

Dave I think your capturing realism perfectly, your bark work is outstanding.

I better go start working on mine :eek:

Cathie Jones
12-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Sounds like we all have plans for one week or the other. How about if we have both threads going at the same time - book report and whatever is next - and we can choose which one we want to work on which week. It's so difficult to do this stuff when you're away from home . . .

I did a sphere and a cone last night, and a shade bar thingy, but haven't scanned them yet. And, once again, I'm at work, so can't do anything else until lunchtime or tonight. This work stuff sure does get in the way of what I'd rather be doing!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_watch_clock.gif

mothsailor
12-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Seems like we're back in business! Here's the second installment of the tree...

idcrisis55
12-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Your tree has such personality Dave. The bark looks rough and your drawing is coming along very well.

It is good to have the site back up but I also appreciated the quiet time lol.

JayD
12-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Dave, WHOA!!! Is that my tree--you artist-types may just have saved it from a good chainsawing. I cannotg wait to see this.

Cathie Jones
12-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Dave, your tree is looking fantastic! What size is it? How are you getting the bark appearance? *Cathie wonders if she is sitting close enough to Dave to copy from his paper . . . . *

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_copy_test.gif

Mary Woodul
12-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Wow Dave, that tree is looking monumental. Guess what? I did find Derwent b7,b8 and b9 here. What a surprise that was. :D

sultry
12-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Wow Dave that is looking so real I like how you followed the flow of the trees texture. ~~KAV~~ :clap:

Well I was not sure if I would be able to get in the site or not, I see it is accessible right now, so I will post the update. Scanner did not get all of pic.
When I complete it I will try to take a digital pic. :)

By the way, where are all the other tree line drawings class?????

Marilyn love your tree ~~KAV~~ :clap: and the bird is so camaflauged (sp?).

CJ great site for shade & light ty for the link. :)

Mary it is supposed to be 2 buffalos bunting heads over the old indian. :(
guess it needs more work to not look like goats.

Sorry if I did not comment on everything but its 12:30 AM and was happy to see I could get online. :)

Hope I can tomorrow too.

mothsailor
12-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Dave, your tree is looking fantastic! What size is it? How are you getting the bark appearance? *Cathie wonders if she is sitting close enough to Dave to copy from his paper . . . . *

The trick is to use bark-textured paper! :wink2: Actually, it's just light and shade. Gone a bit smaller this time: about 10 x 8in.

Thanks to everyone else for your comments. :D

Hope the system is a bit more reliable today!

Judi1957
12-15-2004, 06:41 AM
Morning all, :wave:
Missed you all yesterday! Don't have a post, will be starting my tree tonight.

Marilyn, That is a really wonderful tree! It looks different than what I saw the other day. I do not know why. It was blurry and spooky, really neat as I had said. Now it it clear. Must have been something with my computer? That has never happened B4. Strange. Anyway, it looks marvelous! :clap: :clap:

Dave, This is progressing extremely well, two stages already! :clap: :clap:

Sultry, I will be anxious to watch this progress! You are a queen of Imagination!! :clap: :clap:

See you all this evening! Glad we are all back and running!

JayD
12-15-2004, 06:49 AM
I hope everyone made good use of our server imposed "snow day". :D Dave, I am really watching this with keen interest. You mentioned that you were exploiting the texture of the paper. What kind of paper do you consider to be "Bark Textured Paper"?

Sultry, great work--like the slinky approach to the limbs--it looks like you started with a gesture sketch and now you are working to tighten it up. Interesting approach. Well done. I am holding back on commenting on the imagination part as I want to see what imerges. It is reminding of the "Green Man".

mothsailor
12-15-2004, 07:02 AM
You mentioned that you were exploiting the texture of the paper. What kind of paper do you consider to be "Bark Textured Paper"?

Actually, I was joking! :D But a bit of texture to the paper certainly makes it easier to get the impression of a rough texture in the drawing because you really can't help but get small variations in value, provided you don't press too hard with the pencil. And of course don't even think about blending with a stump!! I'm using something that is described as "medium surface cartridge paper." Even scribbling gives you a bark-like texture. Now I come to look at the paper more closely, I can see that the texture pattern on the paper is roughly in lines, and of course the pattern on the bark tends to form lines, so maybe it is bark-textured paper after all! :)

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Good Morning Everyone :wave:

Good Slinky tree going there Sultry, the face is quite distinguisable. The buffalo isn't quite formed so if I'm mistaken when I say check the level of the eyes, it could be just a dark spot but the left looks higher than the right eye. The level may be correct as there is just a hint of the left eye.

Have a good day Judi, see you tonight:D

I've been working on the tree and hope everyone else has as well. I'll scan and post in just a few minutes.

Mary Woodul
12-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Good morning everyone :D . It is raining and it is 32°, I know you will laugh at my complaint because the rest of you live in much colder places but it is so unusual for it to rain here and I have my two gas heaters on that don't help much in a concrete house, I guess I'll have to turn the electric heaters on and run up the bill.

Sultry, that is a very interesting composition, the faces seemed thinner so I wasn't to sure what animal they were and I can hardly wait to see the finished version, you have such an imagination.

Here is my skeleton of the tree and I will start with the bark and the shading today. :wave:

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Here are the first three stages of the tree. The 2nd stage is when I noticed I had smeared the paper so erased and used a cover after that.

mothsailor
12-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Mary, sorry to hear about your bad weather. Can't be very often that it's warmer here in England than with you! Your tree already looks so solid! I'm sure it's going to be great.

Ann, interesting that you're working from the top down and I started at the bottom. Now I come to think about it, your way makes more sense from the anti-smearing point of view. But I started from the darkest part of the tree, following JayD's advice from an earlier class.

Sultry, JayD is right, it does remind me of a Green Man...a very ancient and mysterious symbol. You're so talented!

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Mary, your are getting good form on your tree. Love that soft shading. Brrr, 32F is cold for your area and when it is a damp cold that to me feels even colder. Hope you stay warm and comfortable :)

Dave, it is a habit that is hard to break working from the top down. That is also the way I paint a lot of the time. :D Jay's tip of establishing the three main values is a good one.

It has been quiet here this week. I hope it is because of other obligations lol and not because of the "subbie" :D . Hopefully, everyone is busily doing their value charts and drawing the tree!

I'll keep checking back for new posts. I'm not far from the computer but I have to paint today!

mothsailor
12-15-2004, 09:49 AM
It has been quiet here this week. I hope it is because of other obligations lol and not because of the "subbie" :D . Hopefully, everyone is busily doing their value charts and drawing the tree!

Careful! You don't want to encourage those trouble-makers! :angel:

Apart from being engrossed in tree-drawing, I guess everyone's busy with Christmas preparations. I've still got loads to do...Help! :eek:

Quick question about the book reports...do they have to be about how-to-do-it type books, or can they be about any sort of art book?

cleo99
12-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Here are the shaded shapes. The tree is in progress, but way too light to be photographed.

Lisa, great tree - looks ready to climb.

Marilyn, Wow.......Wow it's fab! What is the "sepia tone?"

mothsailor
12-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Cleo, I'm wondering about the cast shadows of the sphere and cube. The spere looks like it is floating in the air...is that what you intended? If so...great! If not, I think the cast shadow needs to start at the widest part of the sphere. The shapes themselves are really good, though...they look very solid! :clap:

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Dave, I'm sure you are right, Christmas preparations underway at full steam. Good luck with getting yours finished. I'm sure your question was meant for Jay, but my take on what he said is any art book.

Hi Cleo :wave: Your shapes look good and you have the three values done nicely. You could go even darker on the shadow sides if you want, especially in the core shadow on the rounded shapes. If I'm remembering correctly, none of the darker values will be as light as the lighter sides. :) Dave, raised a good point on the sphere. Remember the light won't reach under the sphere so it would be very dark there.

Back to painting for me, will be back :D

Cathie Jones
12-15-2004, 11:24 AM
You guys are getting way ahead of me. I've only done a couple of shapes so far. Tried to start the tree last night, and it didn't want to be done. One of those days when I couldn't start drawing until almost bedtime, and then was too tired to concentrate. Maybe tonight . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_ornament.gif

Mary Woodul
12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi All :wave:

Ann, I always like to see your exercises and progress drawings, they are so professional. You are a terrific subbie, we were off a lot yesterday and this is a very busy week. If it is going to be so damp here it might as well snow and give us a little change in scenery. Snow flakes fall every 20 or more yrs. here. :eek:

Dave, thank you for your comment, and I also understood the same as Ann about the book report.........any book about Art. BTW was there a date set finally?

Hi Cleo, nice to see you, those look so neat and clean.

Hi Cathie, well if your tree turns out like your pot at the end, I wouldn't worry about a thing, that was stunning. BTW, that little christmas ball is one of my favorites. :D

Cathie Jones
12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Mary. I couldn't even get the basic shape of the tree. Felt like I was back in kindergarten! But I think it was just that my right brain was already asleep . . .

I like the ornament smilie, too . . . here's another of my favorites:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_reindeer.gif

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi Mary, it is a busy time for everyone and I'm sure everyone is feeling the push with Christmas getting closer and trips planned as well. Thanks for the comments on my drawing. I looked and that tree and thought I'm not sure I can do this lol.

Cathie, you did the best thing, getting rest, especially after being sick and with full days. We don't want you having a relapse :) You will be surprised when the right brain kicks in and you go like a whizz, it just needed a snooze last night. And not to worry about being behind, you know we will all be around to offer encouragement and support. Plus I don't think the "teach" gives "F's", doesn't. Polish him an apple lol.

cleo99
12-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Dave & Ann, you are 100% correct.

It's wierd what you don't see till someone else points it out!

I will darken the darks & land the mother ship. I will post the corrections with the tree sketch

thanks for the comments

g7i7n7a
12-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Hello Everyone,

quote "It has been quiet here this week. I hope it is because of other obligations lol and not because of the "subbie" :D . Hopefully, everyone is busily doing their value charts and drawing the tree!" quote

Ann, definitely the christmas crazy business!! I have 4 pieces to get out of the shop this week, and trying to finish up shopping, so I don't know if Ill have time to do much, then I will be off for 2 weeks, so I'll plan to play catch up, (still working on the coffepot :( ) Your doing a wonderful job subbing, :clap: lucky for you, to get some time to paint. enjoy!!!
have a great week, ALL!! :)

gina
ps the avatar is drawn from my son's baby picture, he look almost he same, only with a goatee.

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Cleo, I think that is mostly the way it is with our own work until we step away from it for awhile or get comments from fresh eyes. You are doing great and I'm learning right along with you :)

Hi Gina :wave: You are definitely amid the hurry, scurry of Christmas preparation. Good luck with the work and the shopping. Since I don't have children living right here, it makes it easier to devote my time to drawing and painting. BTW, I wasn't fishing for complements, I just wanted to be sure no one misconstrued any of the comments/critiques I've made :). But thank you all anyway lol.

It is nice knowing Jay and Sultry and all of you are around offering comments/critiques when you can.

Back to painting!

g7i7n7a
12-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Ann, :wave:

I didn't at all think you were fishing. You seem like a very kind lady, (woman)??(trying to find right phrasing :( ) just wanted to let you know, :) I'm positive it's christmas crunch time for everyone.

YOur drawing is coming along nicely, have you thought of something personal to add yet?
gina

(I shouldn't be here, I just wanted to take a peek at the tree, and start thinking about it, and here I am posting....bad, bad, bad)

sultry
12-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Hi subbie Ann :) & everyone else :wave:

First of all Ann, you are a great subbie.... I have not been able to get online and today I had to do last minute running around for my bf's twin 3 yr grandchildren's birthday party. :) I will be doing face painting on the little tikes today. So I will not be able to get online till tomorrow.

Mary your tree looks great and you have applied the branches with pre values :) good job.

Ann I like how you started your line sketch and the progress your showing looks really good. Your tree bark looks like bark :) Great idea to start from top too. I started from the bottom because I wanted to do the designs lol. But it is smart to start from top. Smudge less like Dave said.

Dave your tree has grown so fast lol.

edited to add...
good job Cleo just fix the shadows and you will have your objects sitting on the ground :)
& Hi CJ you CAN DO IT :)

JayD
12-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Just checking into the Treehouse of Terror. :evil: I will comment later. :)

Mary Woodul
12-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Cathie, that little decoration is a winner, it so cute :D

Hi Gina, your a busy gal with the shopping and all I haven't finished either.

Sultry, thank you for the comment. I'd love to see those kids faces, I bet your having a lot of fun doing that. A lot of birthdays this month. Today is my eldest grandaughter's birthday, She is 12. I'm going to go have a piece of cake with her at her house. I think Dave said his birthday was this month also.

Saw you peeking, JayD :evil:

What are you painting Ann? Well I'll go back to my tree.

mothsailor
12-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Yes, it is my birthday this month (on Sunday, actually). And it's also my daughter's, just after Christmas. So, many parties. :)

Here's the third part of the tree. It's spoiled a bit because the bits that I've made really dark are now shiny, so they reflect the flash on the camera. I'm thinking of leaving it like this, not adding the smaller branches. What do you all think? Of course, I'll add my personal touch when I've thought of something to add!

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi Everyone :D

Gina, I haven't thought of something I would like in the tree. I would love to be able to draw a child (that was one of my favorite pasttimes when I was one), but it would have to be a stick figure lol. Have you picked your personal item?

Hi Sultry, I expect that there will be a lot of times within the next couple of weeks when we won't be able to comment much because of last minute stuff. Is the birthday party this weekend? Thanks for the comments on the drawing. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on yours.

Jay rofl I thought about bats hanging form the tree or a black crow, but decided the tree deserved something a little less ominous looking. :D

Hi Mary, I have a painting due every Thursday as I am doing a year of paintings so this week it is chocolate eclairs and a rose on cloth (yes there are folds and let me tell it is different painting them than drawing them lol). I think I'm through and can go back to my drawing after I look at it on-screen (I hope anyway). How is your drawing coming along. Did you draw in your personal item?

Dave, fabulous work and texture on that tree. You certainly know how to do that bark! I see some reflected blue in the shadows, is that from the camera? Dave look on the viewer's right side of the drawing and the bottom background tree limbs. It isn't looking round to me and I don't think that limb has enough value changes to give it more form. My suggestion would be to squint your eyes (looking through the lashes a bit) to see if more darks need to be added or lights lifted. As far as the smaller twigs I would say it is your tree but think a few would be a good thing. It will be great to see what you and the others add as the personal touch! An early Birthday wish coming your way for a good one :)

mothsailor
12-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Thanks Ann, I'll take a look! :)

JayD
12-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Dave--now I dont want to cut down that tree. The wife wil kill me. That is outstanding!!!! I have a LOT of these trees and there is a plot that I have set aside where some of these trees will be felled. But this guy definitely gets to stay.

I am suprised no one has done a treehouse platform. :)

JayD
12-15-2004, 07:14 PM
By the way, everyone==look at dave's tree and notice how faded everything becomes the further away it is. It really helps to perpepuate a 3d look. :)

marilyn h
12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks for reminding me about the fading away. I just can't remember everything. There are so many rules that intertwine. Thank you for bringing it into focus.

All the trees that have been rendered are really quite good. I am not going to even attach the texture in the trees of mine. I prefer to leave it stylized. (Lazy).

Been a fun thread. Sorry I didn't get into last weeks lesson. I download the subjects, but it was a week from saddies and just didn't have time. I did browse and saw what was being done.

I have so enjoyed these lessons, even if I haven't visibly participated.

Thank you Jay D!

JayD
12-15-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah, Marilyn but yours is a lesson in style--a reminder that perception is unique to every artist's eye. Yours is beautiful to behold.

NOW THAT BEING SAID

everybody give Marilyn a big FOR SHAME is she doesnt grace us with her skills again. I love ya Marilyn and try to get in here to us more often.

Applauses for Marilyn!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
12-15-2004, 08:54 PM
FIELD TRIP:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236837

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!! :)

Judi1957
12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Evening All, :wave:

Dave, That tree is so awesome, you have done quite fabulous work here! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CJ, Thanks for the link, I didn't get to read it yet but I will. :D

Gina, Are you getting all done with your Christmas shopping and everything? You have little ones, correct? That makes it all the more fun! :D

Cleo99, Glad to have you here! I think all the C & C is done on your shapes. It sure helps to have others look at your work, and as soon as they tell you...Ahhhh, I see it now! :D

Mary, Looks like you have a really good start here. :clap: Sorry about your chill down there, when you are not used to it, it's got to be a real shock.

Marilyn, Glad you are able to be with us this week. BTW, I saw your 'sketches' in the Winter sketches thread. Wow, as always! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sultry, Hope the birthday party was great. I am anxious to see your next post. I cannot find the second buffalo. I only see the one on the right side above his head. Where are you hiding the other? :confused:

Ann, How do you like subbing? :D I really like your posted stages also. I think you need some more dark-darks to indicate the deep recesses of the bark. Looking good! :clap: :clap:

Here's my post. I have put my grandaughter Marie in it. She looks a bit older than she is, hopefully I can bring her back a year or two. But the tree is just starting. I have a ton of things to wrap and get in the mail so I thought I would at least post something and say hi to everybody.

cmwynn
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi! I started at the end, doing the tree first, as I try to do the Weekly Project for sure. I posted it there before putting on my personal touch and someone suggested I darken the bottom and lighten the top. I did the darkening, but think the top is light enough. Comments welcomed.
I personalized this in a very simple way. But there is a story behind it. When I was in graduate school, one Christmas my husband-to-be took me out with a friend to find mistletoe. They took along a rifle! I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but sure enough, they found some mistletoe high up in a tree away from houses and instead of climbing out to the end of very narrow limbs, they shot some down! I think of this event often at Christmas.
Is the gumball tree the same as the one we call the sweet gum tree? Star shaped leaves, red in fall? Now I will try to do the lesson as it should be done.
I looked back and never found the reference to the book report. Where is that, please?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2004/29839-Tree_plusxm.jpg

Judi1957
12-15-2004, 09:15 PM
JayD, :wave:
Cannot identify a sport except maybe volleyball. It also looks like they are 'high fiving'.
I see a wolf in the upper left corner. Do you see him?
Really great piece! Thanks for the field trip. :D

JayD
12-15-2004, 09:20 PM
If your gumballs are spiked then I think we are probably taking about the same tree. Shooting mistletoe--don't you need a lisense for that! :D You have done an extraordinary job with this tree and I like the mistletoe in the branches (of my gumtree! :D ). I think the advice that you receive in Stoy's thread was excellent.

JayD
12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Just a note to everybody to remember that this is an excercise also in drawing cylinders. those tree branches are cylinders and so when you draw a branch it must reflect its volume and depth. Try your best to keep the branches from nearing any kind of a FLAT look. Keep up the good work!

idcrisis55
12-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Marilyn, definitely hope you come back and share more work with us. It was a real treat to view. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Judi, your drawing is so cool. I love the girl hanging off the trees, is it you? Subbing is definitely different but you all have made it fairly easy on me so far. It has been a long, full day and I'm tired, other than that It is fine :) Thanks for the suggestion on the darks. So far this is done using the mechanical pencil and will switch after I get the farther along :)

Connie, excellent tree! You caught that light and that shadows are so believeable. Nice job, and why not leave the mistletoe? I thought it was a nice touch for this time of year. Enjoyed your story and thought how smart he was to use a rifle lol.

I saw fish, a person lying in a hammock and I'm sure there are other this there to visually treat the eye.

Great work you all. Hope to see more when you can!

Cathie Jones
12-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Well, I've tried again, and after an hour all I have is a bunch of smeared graphite on watercolor paper. I don't like that tree . . . http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_grrr and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_chainsaw I'll take it to work tomorrow in case I feel like ruining my lunch . . . but I do not expect to have this particular entry for this week. Unless I totally change it . . .

But I still like you guys!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_blow_a_kiss.gif

Good night!

mothsailor
12-16-2004, 04:39 AM
Good morning everyone!

The field trip was great...I can see the wolf too Judi! Plus there's the head of a llama and a leopard running!

Connie, your tree is fantastic, and that's a great story. Jay came up with the idea of a book report because many of us thought we wouldn't be able to keep up with a normal class over Christmas. The plan is to submit reports about art books that we enjoy.

Judi, your granddaughter is beautiful! Does she enjoy climbing trees? I guess all kids do. One point...having a figure in the drawing has a big effect on the perception of scale of the tree. The way she's in the tree looks so real...do you have a photo of her in a tree, or did you just make it up?

See you all later! :wave:

marilyn h
12-16-2004, 05:41 AM
Connie. What a tree of perfection! I would lighten your misletoe to just give a hint. Your work is exceptional here.

Jay D. You make me blush. THank you!

Judi1957
12-16-2004, 06:36 AM
Morning, :wave:

Connie, Your tree is so-o-o-o great! :clap: :clap: :clap: I would have been wondering what the rifle was for too! :confused: That is quite a memory for you. Then you married him, must have been the kiss of a lifetime!

Dave, Thanks, Marie is beautiful, if I do say so myself. :D She is way to young to be doing this (she is only 4, and I have her appearing too old). She is drawn so light because I am not so sure she stays, even if I want her too, because it really does affect the grand scale of the tree and I am not too sure if I want to do that. I have a pic with her at the top of the stairs leaning out, she is such a monkey!! So I adapted that pic for here. I don't know if I could have done that complete pose of her from my head. Want to learn more about the anatomy so I can do that someday. I have been eyeing up a posable(sp?) figure in the art supply section.
LLama, that's it...it was on the tip of my tounge...couldn't come up with it. I think our wolf is the dog mentioned. I'm going to study it some more to see what else is in that driftwood. It's kind of like studying the clouds.

Mary Woodul
12-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Good morning everyone :wave:
Dave your tree is outstanding, it is very realistic and think your values are so good.

Gina, your grandaughter looks great hanging from the tree, You are very good a drawing the human figure and putting it in the right proportionn of the tree. That is what I think is the hardes part of putting your personal touch in.

Connie, very nice tree Connie and your personal touch has a nice meaning for you.

JayD, well I took the field trip and I can see a seahorse and two barroque fish elements facing down, also a leaping tiger.

I'll come back later, off to my Pilates Class. :wave:

mothsailor
12-16-2004, 07:14 AM
I have been eyeing up a posable(sp?) figure in the art supply section.

I've got one of them...I think they are called mannequins. Trouble is, I find them very difficult to get them into a believable pose!

sultry
12-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Good Morning everyone :wave:

Judi can you put up a ref pic of your granddaughter so I can help you? I would like to see where we can make her look her age. I do not want you to remove her image, this will be beautiful when completed (besides, its something very personal to you, it helps you to keep very inspired to put all you have into your piece. :)

Connie I loved the story :) and the touch shows how much that mistletoe means to you. :)

Mary I do not have pics of the painted faces :( because my bf bought them a bouncing house (which was put up in the living room and the kiddies sweated so much from bouncing and bumping into each other that the butterflies and trucks I painted on them wore off :rolleyes: So much for that lol.

Marilyn yes your work is very unique and beautiful I do hope you put more up for us. :)

Gina where is your tree?

CJ remember you told me to do slinky branches? Hey girl just start making them, do not worry about where they go just do it (it will be your own version of the tree).

If I forgot anyone sorry :(

Jay, I looked up greenman and saw that some meant fertility lol. But very interesting about it all the same. Oh I took the trip and saw a howling wolf and a angel looking up. The bird and something very xxx. rofl :D

Bookreports are due when now?

Ok update of my buffalo spirit tree, this was done all with HB pencil will start adding a 3B or 6B have not decided yet.

edited to add...' Ann how you doing???

Judi I love the pose btw and the pig tail hanging down gives it a nice a touch not to mention great composition. I think to make her look younger you need to add more baby chubbiness. The body frame you have is more for a 6 or 7 year old. The portions look ok to me but if you add a little more chubbiness in the limbs it may make her appear alot younger. Chubby up the cheeks too. If you have the eyes too high that tends to make a child's portrait look older.

marilyn h
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/4759-DSC06678.JPG
Finished.

mothsailor
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Sults, love your tree. When you've put some darker values in, I'm sure it will be even better. :clap: :clap:

Marilyn, that is truely awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Wow Marilyn love touch of color :clap:

Thanks Dave I think so too, I used one pencil all through so I could get the most out of its values. Now I plan to do more with the dark areas to make my lights stand out.

btw Mary I posted a kid pic finally (told you I look like a boy) :rolleyes:

idcrisis55
12-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Good Morning Everyone :D

I slept in this morning and now to catch up.

Cathie, have you tried turning the photo upside down and drawing it. Another suggestion would be to put a box around the tree and draw lightly the negative shapes. Then apply the slinky to it. I had two starts on the tree before it began to go halfway decently. I think we would all like to see what you have done so that we can give you more assistance.

Judi, I hope you leave your granddaughter in the drawing too. I thought she looked just right and such a joyful expression on her face.

Hi Mary, enjoy your class this morning, cya when you get back.

Dave, I have the wooden mannequin and found the same thing, hard to get a believable pose. Wonder if the grey ones are better and more poseable?

Hi Sultry, your tree is coming along very well. :)

Beautiful work Marilyn!

Later,

Mary Woodul
12-16-2004, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=mlelevier]Good morning everyone :wave:
Dave your tree is outstanding, it is very realistic and think your values are so good.

Gina, your grandaughter looks great hanging from the tree, You are very good a drawing the human figure and putting it in the right proportionn of the tree. That is what I think is the hardes part of putting your personal touch in.

Judi I am so sorry I was thinking of you all the time when I wrote this but I should not post that early in the morning. Please forgive me. I'm doing here what I do with my grandkids, I name them all before I get the right one, my mind is always one step ahead.

Marilyn, your tree is just gorgeous, is it on sketch book paper or can you frame it? It would look incredible in a large format.

Sultry, those kids faces must have looked great and how nice that they had such a good time. I'm going to go see your kiddie picture and get back to you. Your tree is coming along very nicely. Where the horns meet it looks like it is forming a butterfly, was that intentional?

Hi, Ann, it is always nice to sleep a little more than usual. I won't be around much today because I want to work as much as I can on the tree, I'll have my two grandsons for a while today and tomorrow. I will try to post the progress this evening.

Cathie Jones
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Ann, I appreciate the offer of help, but I truly am out of time to be working on something I don't like. I have to work all day today, pack tonight, work 8-10:30 tomorrow, and then leaving town until late Sunday night.

I'll get the book out and work on the light/shade exercises - I can probably even do those on the plane if I get bored and the ride isn't bumpy. ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_skater.gif

mothsailor
12-16-2004, 01:21 PM
I have to work all day today, pack tonight, work 8-10:30 tomorrow, and then leaving town until late Sunday night.

What, no more great smileys until Monday!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/52179-014.gif

Cathie Jones
12-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Didn't say I wasn't taking the laptop . . . I may not have time to do much, but if I can get online, I'll send a smiley or two!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_baubles.gif

sultry
12-16-2004, 01:57 PM
I'll get the book out and work on the light/shade exercises - I can probably even do those on the plane if I get bored and the ride isn't bumpy. ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_skater.gif

CJ practice the twiggy trees and then apply the light & shade to them. That is what I am doing today. I have stopped working on the tree so I can get my cylinders and cones shaded appropriately.

Its helping big time. :)

Have a safe trip :)

Mary I know I see the butterfly too, it was not intentional lol hmmm...green man symbol means fertility & butterfly means new beginning... am I making a message with this tree??? lol

idcrisis55
12-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been doing Christmas stuff so no drawing yet today.

Mary, hope you get your tree decorated and you get some drawing time too :)

Cathie, hope you enjoy your trip to Montana and I know, time is at a premium right now for everyone lol. One other suggestion when you get a chance to draw, is to just take one limb and practice it, take another limb and practice its shape, not worrying about the whole tree but one small aspect of it.

Sultry, I saw that butterfly too :) and thought it looked like a good addition.

I will keep checking back but Christmas preparation are somewhat underway here.

g7i7n7a
12-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Helllo Everyone,
Squeezed in some time to practice shading and start the tree outline.
havent' quite got the hang of keeping a soft line on one side of the core shadow, it's most noticeable on the cone. the lifting off side is ok, but the side the pencil is placed down on, ends up hard.

Your all doing wonderful work on your trees,
Sultry, amazing, as usual. :clap:
Dave, read lots of great stuff about yours, but the image wouldnt' show up for me,for some reason. :(
Cathie, enjoy your trip.
Mary and Judi, enjoy the grandkids!! :D (looking forward to that, our son is 21)
Marilyn, speechless, absolutely gorgeous!
Connie, love the mistletoe!!
thankyou Ann, for your time, subbing. :clap: :clap:
hug to anyone I may have forgotten
gina
If the alien plumbing sketch actually turns out to look like a tree in the end , i'll eat the paper it's drawn on.

sultry
12-16-2004, 06:30 PM
hiyas Ann :wave: yeah I am not sure if I am keeping the butterfly :confused: I do not feel it is what I am trying to get across.

Gina, great shading on your geo s but I would like to point out that the dark side of the core and cone are complete and the light sides look like they are missing some values.

I will quote this from the site CJ gave us....

On the directly lit side of our rounded objects all the hottest or brightest light is directly in the middle of the light side. Also value transition on this side. It is darker toward the edge of the object and usually lightens as it approaches the core shadow.

If you were to go 1 or 2 more values on your light side (darkest starting at edge and lightening towards the core shadow, I think it would make your cylinder and cone look more 3 D. :)

About your tree, ok you have the line drawing now slinky the limbs and trunk to get the feel of the cylindar and cone shapes in the tree.

Good Job Gina your getting there :)

idcrisis55
12-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi Gina, your shapes are looking good and you received some good suggestions from Sultry. Darkening the value of the darks would help especially on the cylinder and the cube. You do such beautiful shading. I'll look again tomorrow, hopefully my brain will be functioning better :D

Ha,ha,ha, alien plumbing! I'm glad you are posting the steps with the tree and know you will do a beautiful job.

Hi Sultry, well it is an idea then for a future drawing :) Have you had a chance to do more on it?

I've been feeling pretty punky today so haven't done anything except what was absolutely necessary. Heading for my bed pretty quick. I'll catch up in the a.m.

sultry
12-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Good Night Ann sleep well & no I have not worked on it yet. I have done business & domestic work and checked in on WC here and there. I have also practiced the twiggy trees and shaded them. :)

g7i7n7a
12-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi Ladies,
thankyou both for the advice, I'll work on that tonight, I better take a look at that link, as well.
feel better soon, ann :wave:
gina

mothsailor
12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Hope you're feeling better tomorrow Ann.

I think your shading is really good, Gina. Maybe a bit darker as Ann suggests, but you have a great touch with the pencil!

Good night all!

JayD
12-16-2004, 10:26 PM
OK, I am back==the robots that I have planted at fairfaxidlab.com broke down and besides my REAL job I spent a good part of the evening dealing with updating the kits and removing the old company's name.

How is everything going==are there any problems?

Judi1957
12-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Evening all!

JayD, :wave: You certainly are a worker! How are your hands doing this week?

Sure has been strange this week not being here much. :(

Ann, Hope you feel better in the morning! Unfortunately 'tis the season for the flu bugs, hope it is not that.

Sultry, Yes, I need to chubby Marie up and double check her facial feature spacing. Thanks. :D And I see the other buffalo head now. :clap:

Gina, :wave: Your shapes look good and you have your C & C. You do have a beautiful touch! :clap: I didn't realize you had a son that age, I thought he was a little tyke. Looks like our class is mostly over forty. :D

Mary, I knew you were talking to me. :D

Dave :wave: Have a great birthday, you and your daughter!!! :)

CJ, Oh Great Gif Queen..Hope you have a great trip! :wave: Don't forget you sketch pad, there is some beautiful scenery in Montana. My brother moved there over twenty years ago and never came back (except to visit) He lives in the mountains near Glacier Nat'l Park. Absolutley fabulous!

Marilyn, The color you added really finished it off perfectly!.. :clap: :clap:

Anyway, just a progress post. Still need to do some lifting to achieve the look of center rear branch receeding, and a few other things in there. But I'm going to bed, after I cruise the site a bit.

JayD
12-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Judi, great picture--is that peter pan--anyway--careful about the foreshortening with the arm and the try--it looks fine right now but constantly check it. Love the bark--I am watching with interest. :)

cleo99
12-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Happy Friday everyone. :clap:

Due to the Holiday Rush (and my failure to rush earlier!) I have pushed to get this done. If time permits I will go back and darken the darks in the bark. (Or maybe work on a whole new new bark theory.)

But at least the sphere a has landed!

Happpy Holidays to all if I don't get back.

mothsailor
12-17-2004, 09:37 AM
It's spookily quiet at the moment!

I'm just in from a marathon shopping trip...nearly finished now. :angel: The big problem is my nephew who is five going on 50! I've never seen such a serious little boy! Don't know what to get him. :confused:

Cleo: I like your bark, and you've done a great job of getting the tree to recede up into the sky. :clap: :clap:

Happy holidays to you too!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/52179-santa2.gif

idcrisis55
12-17-2004, 10:00 AM

I see you all have been busy :D.

Judi, your drawing is coming along very well!!! I like the textures you are achieving in the bark.

Hi Cleo, the darks look better in the shapes. One suggestion on the sphere is to start the shadow directly under the sphere. On the cone, did you draw a light straight line down the center of the elipse to get the slant of the cone sides as it looks like it is leaning a bit :)

Your tree is really beginning to take shape and the bird feeder is a great idea for the personal item. Adding the darks will get you more depth and gradating the value around to where the light hits will give it more form and volume. On the bird feeder bottom, I would suggest darkening it and adding a light side the the top of it.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone :)

cleo99
12-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Meeting cancelled, I’m back!

Cathie - I agree with you, this was not easy.

Thanks Dave and Ann for you comments. The cone was just suffering from the curvature of the pad from my clutching it till late last night. I don’t normally draw with David Lettermen.

I had wanted to add a birdhouse as the personal item, but, I drew about 50 and still did not get the perspective, (it was like being in an MC Escher drawing, they were turning inside out!) so settled for the feeder. I will work on it

Gina –Your granddaughter looks great on the tree

Dave – your bark is the best, you are a patient man!

Connie – a terrific tree with a great story!

sultry
12-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Ann,

Did you sleep ok last night? I hope you are feeling better. :)

Judi, your bark wow its really growing lol. Love the pose of you have your granddaughter. awaits more updates :)

Cleo, What I have to say as a sub subbie for the class is this, your sphere needs to be rounder and your cube needs perspective.

I do not want you to get upset or discouraged because I know you want to learn to draw and I am seeing your progress it is good but I did some checking and you need to practice the geo shapes and the foreshortening of them.

The only way to do this, is to take this course from the beginning so we can help you improve on your work. It will help you to sketch the geo shapes easier.

All of us in the course are checking back on new comers so you will still be with us and we are glad you did join 101.

The object of the classes are to make you see the objects as they are and to start in the middle is only going to make it harder for you to see them as they really are.

With that said, I will tell you, I did not want to learn the basics classes at all. Only now I am so glad I did.

Do you know for years I was holding the pencil the wrong way? The 101 class 1 taught me how to hold it correctly and now I feel I am sketching better because of it.

I hated perspective, but now I appreciate it because of class 2.

Your tree is looking good and you should keep going on it too.

I just do not want you to cheat yourself out of learning all you can because Jay has put these classes together in a certain order for all of us to benefit from it.

mothsailor
12-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Hi Ann, Hope you're feeling better this morning. At least the class isn't keeping you very busy! :)

Does anyone know if we're going to be doing book reports next week or the week after?

My mother-in-law :evil: will be arriving soon, :crying: so better get back to tidying the house! :eek:

(Only joking...she's really a lovely person...or she would be if only she'd stop finding fault with everything and everyone! ) :(

sultry
12-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi Dave,

Last I heard we were doing them over the Christmas & New Years week.

mothsailor
12-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi Dave,

Last I heard we were doing them over the Christmas & New Years week.

Great! So that means we're starting Class 9 on Monday, I guess. :cat:

sultry
12-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Yup, unless he lengthens this class because not all of us can draw trees as fast you can Dave.
sultry >>>>>>>:confused:

idcrisis55
12-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Welcome back Cleo! Ah, those late night drawing hours lol. I have to work on mine today and choose a personal item. I keep drawing the shapes myself just for practice and I am going to do more slinky practice. I found it difficult to press the pencil for darks then lift for lights. Felt so uncoordinated lol.

I'm working on feeling better, thanks you all :) Still queasy and achy but better than yesterday.

The book reports were originally schedule from Christmas to the New Year but that might have changed. Will have to see what Jay decides for this next week. Maybe he will pop in soon to let us know :D

Cathie Jones
12-17-2004, 01:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_skater.gif

g7i7n7a
12-17-2004, 03:00 PM
HI Everyone,
:wave:
LOL at Dave, can't believe you said that out loud. :wink2: HOpe your mother-in-law doesn't decide to take drawing 101 at WC,you'll be in deep doodoo. :)

Here's an update on my stuff, If anyone has some advice,I'm all ears.
attempted your suggestions,Sultry and Ann. might need a bit more...
thanks again, :wave:

the spheres are a practice sheet on shading, I did the first six balls and wasn't getting the hang very well, then I read the "understanding the art of shading" jetlink, and that made all the difference for ball #10, so if anyone needs help with that, it's has some good tips. now i'm off to re-do the other balls, can't decide whether they should be floating or not...floating would be less work :D , then tackle the tree.
so quiet in here today, you must all be in merry christmas prep.have fun. :)
gina

bjcpaints
12-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Yes, it is my birthday this month (on Sunday, actually). And it's also my daughter's, just after Christmas. So, many parties. :)

Here's the third part of the tree. It's spoiled a bit because the bits that I've made really dark are now shiny, so they reflect the flash on the camera. I'm thinking of leaving it like this, not adding the smaller branches. What do you all think? Of course, I'll add my personal touch when I've thought of something to add!

Happy Birthday in advance Dave. Your tree looks great. Just wanted to say both before I am off for the weekend.
Barbara

bjcpaints
12-17-2004, 03:06 PM
. Comments welcomed.
I personalized this in a very simple way. But there is a story behind it. When I was in graduate school, one Christmas my husband-to-be took me out with a friend to find mistletoe. They took along a rifle! I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but sure enough, they found some mistletoe high up in a tree away from houses and instead of climbing out to the end of very narrow limbs, they shot some down! I think of this event often at Christmas.
Is the gumball tree the same as the one we call the sweet gum tree? Star shaped leaves, red in fall? Now I will try to do the lesson as it should be done.
I looked back and never found the reference to the book report. Where is that, please?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2004/29839-Tree_plusxm.jpg

Your tree is great Connie and I can't even imagine living where mistletoe grows!
Barbara

bjcpaints
12-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts. I know this is not Kosher. I will try to be more respectful of the rules here. :angel:
Cleo, You are ahead of me with your tree.
Judi, Your Granddaughter is a cutie and your tree is looking good.
I did about 6 sketches of this tree on Wednesday night. It gave me a good feel for the tree but none of them will be my "working sketch", so until I have something good enough to post I will go back and work on my shapes and start the tree to be submitted. I did work on drawing and completed many items for the Secret Santa exchange in this forum. Did not want Santa to be late with those gifts. Priorities.
I think I may have to draw that tree upside down for it to come out correctly - my branches are too thick towards the ends.
Have a great weekend everyone! :wave:
Barbara

sultry
12-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Gina quote:
Here's an update on my stuff, If anyone has some advice,I'm all ears.
attempted your suggestions,Sultry and Ann. might need a bit more...
thanks again,
BRAVO Gina by George I think she's got it :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do you see how different the geo shapes look from your first ones? The 2nd look more 3 D :) They are so beautiful ~~~KAV~~~

edited to add....

oh I like that link I have had it printed out for awhile now but I was not so understanding of it till taking this class. Now it all seems to make sense to me. :)

sultry
12-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Barbara hi and you have a great weekend too. :wave:

By the way, when you said you may draw it upside down, I had to, because my left side of the brain saw a tree and it has always decided on how the tree should look. I tried to draw it so many times and it did not look like the picture at all. So realized it was not going to be even close to the ref pic unless I saw it for what it is. To do that I had to let my right side see it and turn off my left side. When I took the tree apart in shapes and lines I was able to sketch it alot easier.

Good luck in finding a way to let your right side see the tree. :)

Remember its mostly learning the light & shade in this lesson.

If you practice your twiggy trees and shade them it helps. So does doing the geo shapes like Gina did, lol just ask her.

mothsailor
12-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts. I know this is not Kosher. I will try to be more respectful of the rules here. :angel:

Rules are meant to be broken! :evil:

Happy Birthday in advance Dave. Your tree looks great. Just wanted to say both before I am off for the weekend.

That's very kind! Thanks, and I hope you have a good weekend too. :)

idcrisis55
12-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Gina, excellent shapes and shading. Those circles are really good. I can tell you have been putting in the practice time :)

Hi Barbara, sounds like you have been busy practicing the tree and other drawings. I'm looking forward to seeing your tree :).

Hi Dave :wave:

Sultry, thanks for stepping in, I spent the afternoon in bed :(.

JayD
12-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Methinks the crowd is getting rowdy :evil: How are the projects going--are there any problems that I can help with.

Cleo: do me a favor--great spheres--would you mind reposting in the class that covers spheres--ok that you posted it here because everything leads up to the next point in the class but I would I would like to see the spheres also there with the intent that when future people see the classes they will see your fine example as well. Good job.--jayd

sultry
12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Awe Ann I am sorry your still not feeling well :(

Rowdy??? Jay us??? of course were just the 101 Rowdy Bunch ;) :D

But its all Daves fault lol. He started it. :evil:Quote Dave:Rules are meant to be broken! Not the subbies we are :angel: :angel: :angel:

edited to add...

Jay in a serious note... Take a look at Gina's geo shapes she did well :)

Ok about this umm tree of yours, CJ and Barbara are not having a good time with it. We do seem to lost Deb and I am not sure if who else but do you think maybe we should extend the tree lesson? Just a thought.

We have Connie, Marilyn & Dave who completed it so far. I know Ann, Judi, Mary & Gina have started theirs so they may be done in time.

Also, when are the book reports due, did you decide?

g7i7n7a
12-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Jayd, :wave:
i'm not sure if you meant my spheres or Cleo's but I think we both were doing the exercises for light and shade from the textbook, along with the tree and I did a sheet of spheres as a study in shading, that's why we posted here...
but if we should post them somewhere else, just say the word.

Sultry,
you may have seen this when reading the tutorial, but in case you havent', thought it might be inspiring...
http://www.rebekahlynn.com/artwork/deadlyvision.html,
how's your cougar coming?

Ann, sorry to hear your still not feeling well,hope you have a quick recovery.

thanks guys,
gina

Mary Woodul
12-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone, sorry I've been away today and yesterday but I've had my grandson's two days straight.

Cathie, have a nice trip. :wave:

Sultry, your right about the butterfly, your buffalos will give it a great meaning and I think the butterfly would take away the essence. I love symbology in art.

Ann, I hope you are feeling better this evening. :)

Gina, I love the touch you have with your shading, those are beautiful geo's.

Judi, thank you for understanding my distractions. Your tree is coming along great.

Cleo your tree is coming along very nice. Have a nice Christmas also. :wink2:

Dave if I'm not around on Sunday, have a very nice birthday. That day is also my bachelor son's, girlfriend's birthday, (if that made sense), and we are having a party for her.

Hi Barbara, nice to see you, have a nice weekend.

Hi JayD, I'm posting my most recent progress but I have not worked on the shading yet and there is more bark to work on, I also feel I have to soften it. I put my cat Botas in the tree, although I would have liked to do what Judi did and put one of my grandchildren in it, but I have to learn to draw the human figure or a portrait first. I'll be busy this weekend but I will post the final, or close to the final Sunday evening. Have a nice weekend everyone. :wave:

mothsailor
12-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Good morning class!

Mary, thanks for the birthday message! Your tree is looking great! Can't wait to see the finished version. :clap: :clap:

Rowdy?! Me?!! :angel: :p

I'm off to finish my Christmas shopping (I hope)! See you later. :wave:

bjcpaints
12-18-2004, 12:22 PM
OK Here is my tree. Go ahead - hit me with your best shot!
Now I have to embarass (sp?) myself completely and ask about the twiggy tree things that I apparently skipped drawing and have no idea what they even are. Could someone please clue me in - maybe that is the crucial piece of the puzzle I am missing in my drawing (oh that would just be too good to be true). Sorry for my bad attitude - I had an absolutely horrible week.
Barbara

sultry
12-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Hiyas everyone :wave: :clap: yippie I got on line :)

I could not access WC all morning and I was getting WC withdrawls lol,

Barb I supplied Jays twiggy trees from lesson 6 for the geo shape cones for you. :)

Mary I have really really changed my tree with some interesting blending I have established the ghostly spirit Indian look I wanted.

I love kitties, Mary this is going to be spectacular. :) & look how " Don't bother" look you have made of your kitty. :)

Oh I am so excited too, I spoke to my daughter via email back & forth for the first time since she has been there. It was almost like a instant message :). I was crying most of the day from being so close to her. I still marvel at our technology ( if only we had this when my brother was in Viet Nam ).

Anyways, Ann I am here for you and Dave yes you are a :evil: trouble maker lol.

edited to add...

Note how the Cast shadow is so visible and it forms the twiggies.
Note how the light side is darker at the back edge and lightens as it meets the core shadow.
Note how the darker side is getting lighter towards the back edge.

edited to add...

Gina I saw that one b4 is it not a beautiful cougar???

Wow, umm my cougar is waiting along with my self portrait and my daughters portrait. :confused: Not sure what to work on.

When I am working on a class assignment I like to give it my all.

Barbara this line sketch of your tree is great :)

If you want to go farther on your tree, all you need now is to apply the slinky effect.

To do that, you would stop working on the tree and start to practice the twiggy trees in a slinky manner when sketching them. It really does losen your arm and you will get a free sketch for tree.

once that is applied to your tree and branches it will make them look more 3d.

The choice is yours, I am only suggesting for your benefit. :)

bjcpaints
12-18-2004, 01:04 PM
OMG I'm ready to go back to painting rocks. LOL I have no idea what you are talking about(re: the twiggy things). I will search for others drawings on this back on lesson 6. See you in a couple of weeks. :crying: No wonder I didn't draw these - what the heck are they???? Some kind of mutant bee skep? :confused: Oh well, no one said this course was going to be easy.
Barbara

sultry
12-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Barbara,
Please do not get discouraged (These twiggy trees appear difficult but they are fun).

First of all do you remember class 4? When Jay had us sketching slinkys?

You remember how to make a cone in class 6? with a ellipse and a line up the center?

After you have your cone just fill it with a slinky.

cmwynn
12-18-2004, 01:31 PM
This week has been slow, slow enough for me to catch up for a rare change, even with my super slow connection. I am surprised that several people are having trouble with this tree. It was fun for me. And you have done others that I have not even been able to tackle , for instance the M&M's and Bat. Funny world.
Since the lesson was really about shading and light, probably any other item would be a good substitute for the tree, as long as the actual light to dark gradation was observed. But it is great to see how each person personalized it. That is the hard part, to me, drawing from imagination rather than copying a photo.

mothsailor
12-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi Barbara, I like your tree! You've got a great, loose style. You've got the branches to recede as they go up from the main trunk really well. The trunk that goes up on the left looks best, I think, because your shading makes it look solid. Some of the others look a bit flat, but there's a lot of movement in the drawing...I get the feeling of the tree moving in the wind! :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi Connie,

Well the tree was not easy for me (still is not, I am still not happy with my progress on this assignment). :(

I can see why your puzzled about it (since you have posted a beautiful tree). So of course, it is easy for you to wonder why we cannot find it as easy as you did.

Also, I think you personalized your tree appropriately, because it has such meaning behind it. :)

JayD
12-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Barb, your tree looks fine--nice perspective--remember, that we each have our own distinctive styles--I would say move forward and define and deepen your values. I think it looks wonderful. Keep at it, barb

JayD
12-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Mary, Botas looks like a real kool kat. So far, so good--you are doin' great--I think the cat is a a great choice. I will be looking for you on Sunday. :)

JayD
12-18-2004, 03:19 PM
Cleo, I meant to comment on your tree. You are doing fine but try to go for some contrast by developing your values. It is looking good so far. :)

JayD
12-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Barb, get to work on those twigs....whip...snap...whip...snap........ :D

mothsailor
12-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, lots of light and shade in the WDE images this week. There's even a tree!

Cathie Jones
12-18-2004, 04:12 PM
I really don't have a clue whether you can see this . . . I used the digicam and have not figured out how to use PSP on the laptop yet - but I'm running out of power and the laptop charger - along with clothes, makeup, etc. - are in my luggage, which decided to stay in Seattle last night instead of coming to Great Falls with us.

The plane ride was smooth and boring, so I decided to try the tree. Didn't have the photo with me, hope it's close. I'll try to check back tonight or in the morning if there's enough juice left!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_frown.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2004/23460-Tree_WC.jpg

JayD
12-18-2004, 04:40 PM
I cannot see it clearly right now but it looks really good. When you regain your power, I look forward to seeing an enlarged version. Cathie I hope all is well with you and that you are having a safe journey. :)

sultry
12-18-2004, 05:57 PM
CJ, I cannot see it too well either but it looks like we are looking up from a squirrel's view (coolness). imagine being at this view and someone yells
"Timberrrrrr" :D

Ok, Jay I am not going to add anymore to this, I think the ghostly images I wanted are there now along with the bark. I managed to get rid of the butterfly too.

As my bf said, the buffalo could be what ever animal anyone sees them to be. So, I guess he sees them as deer and I will have to accept all viewers will see differently due to my not making them really detailed.

Just hope you see the feathers in the bark.

idcrisis55
12-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Everyone, just wanted you to know I tried to get in to Wet C. several times this morning and couldn't and have spent the restof the day in bed. I won't comment now on everyone's work as I'm heading back to bed. Sultry and JayD thanks for stepping in and taking care of things.

JayD
12-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Sults, that is not too shabby. I see deer too. Sorry!!! It has a ghostly quality to it that is very appealing. Nice work!!!

Cathie Jones
12-19-2004, 12:23 AM
:wave: Back from the birthday party. We are having a good time, will be having breakfast with out friends, then to the airport for the trip home.

Our luggage showed up just as we were leaving today, so we have power again, but I wasn't able to get a good enough photo of the tree. I'll scan it Monday and get it posted. Looking forward to the new lesson.

Sults, I really like the faces in your tree. Haven't been able to read the comments, so I'll try to do that in the morning or Monday.

Good night!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_snore.gif

idcrisis55
12-19-2004, 10:41 AM

Finally able to get into Wet C. and see what everyone is doing.

Mary, good idea putting your cat in the tree and I like the textures you have going. Looking forward to seeing it with the added darks.

Barbara, you are doing good with your tree, now you need to apply the dark shading to give it more form. Look at the photo and squint your eyes, that will bring the darks out so you can see where they need to be placed in your drawing.

Cathie, I'm looking forward to your updated post with a larger photo. It looks like you have some good textures going in your tree with gradation going from dark to light up the trunk. Glad you are enjoying your trip :)

Sultry, your tree has a definite mystical look to it. Nice work on the forming of the figures.

I've been trying to do a bit of drawing while sitting. Taking lots of rest breaks though. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

JayD
12-19-2004, 12:09 PM
announcement: Because Of The Unusual Length Of Downtime That We Have Experienced This Week I AM Extending Class 8 For One More Week So If You Want To Add To Your Drawing Please Feel Free To Do So. I Will Be Making The Announcement For The Book Report Shortly

L2isa2
12-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi Everyone ,

Wowser, some real cool looking trees here ! Love them all :D

Well I must be completely out of my box because I took a tree and added this :-

I have never done anything like this before , have I gone bananas ?

:D

C&C Welcome , I have noticed that the detail of bark has gone in this one:(

Regards
Anne-marie
(lisa)

JayD
12-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Lisa, I LOVE it. It is very imaginative. :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
12-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Lisa, I like this one. It says tree with flair!

L2isa2
12-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Thank you JayD :)

Thank you Anne:) oh Madeleine sends her best to you :)

Regards
Anne marie
(lisa)

sultry
12-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi everyone :wave: ,

Back from the Christmas shopping rush again :rolleyes: I know; I know it is too close to Christmas to be out there.

I still have to go to the UPS store to mail the gifts tomorrow (It was closed when I finished shopping). :(

Anyways, cool I am glad we have another week on this tree. :) I also have changed my deer looking buffalo again btw. :)

Jay I bought a scratcher thingy for making whiskers on a cat have you heard of them? Should make my bark stand out too, I think. :)

Lisa your tree looks exotic very pretty. :)

JayD
12-19-2004, 06:06 PM
A scratcher thingy--I am guessing you should probably be a little more specific, Sults. :)

Did everyone get my announcement about extending this a week?

mothsailor
12-19-2004, 06:10 PM
A scratcher thingy--I am guessing you should probably be a little more specific, Sults. :)

Is "a scratcher thingy" a knife? :)

I got the announcement, yes. I guess I really should put something personal in my tree then...I'm just afraid of spoiling it! :eek:

sultry
12-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Jay,
It is a Claybord scratch knife and it looks like a stylus to me. It came with a little black board to scratch up. lol :D

Ok, I took this with the digital I am not sure if it will come out clear so I will scan a close up of the old indian and buffalo spirits too.

Since we have a whole week to work on tree (which I am done), I will work on my cougar.

I did not see when the book report is due sorry.

Judi1957
12-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Quote by JayD: announcement: Because Of The Unusual Length Of Downtime That We Have Experienced This Week I AM Extending Class 8 For One More Week So If You Want To Add To Your Drawing Please Feel Free To Do So. I Will Be Making The Announcement For The Book Report Shortly

Thanks JayD..I didn't even feel I was here this week!

Lisa and Sultry. Your projects look great! :clap: :clap:

Ann, Are you feeling better?

mhimeswc
12-19-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm still among the living, and I have not dropped out of this class. I've spent most of the week either Christmas shopping or sleeping (more sleeping than shopping). I read all the posts on this thread this morning, and I've seen some amazing trees. I don't think I can do them justice, but I intend to try. Here is my start (about 3 hours). There is a lot more to go, many of the branches just have one light layer on them. I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, as I was not too excited about the reference photo when I first saw it. It grew on me. :) I added a little squirrel for my personal touch. I will work on it some more tomorrow and post it again. I have to quit now because my fingers are getting too numb. Still having trouble with my hand, but at least the pain in my arm has pretty much disappeared. I'm still wearing the split to sleep and while typing. Anyway, here's what I've done so far.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2004/20035-tree1.jpg

Cathie Jones
12-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Good deal, JayD! 'specially because I won't be home now until TUESDAY night! Our plane was an hour late this morning because of a "mechanical problem," got us as far as Helena, then grounded the pain because the cockpit display had died. Evidently Horizon Airlines only has one plane, because they're trying to fix it tonight. They gave us two choices of flights tomorrow (that's all they have!), one at 6:05 a.m. with a 7-hour lay-over in Seattle, and one at 1:40 p.m. with a 4-hour lay-over in Seattle. Since neither one would get us back in time for work, we chose the later flight. (Well, wouldn't you????)

So, we're in a cheap, stinky hotel in Helena, Montana that does, at least, have a plug on the phone for a dial-up connection. Sheeeesh . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_banghead.gif

Sometimes life is such an adventure!

JayD
12-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Good Lord, CJ--DIAL UP--you must be crawling along the halls of wetcanvas--with all the graphics here. That's dedication.

I don't think I have EVER seen WC go down so much--so instead of making up snow days later--we will just extend the class like we did wit the perspective. I hope more people decide to display their trees as well. I have been eying the tree myself for a potential circulist project so I am right now trying to run down a good choice of paper for the project. When doing circulism, I have learned the hard way to use a colored ground. :D

Metier
12-19-2004, 10:33 PM

JayD
12-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Hi, Metier--I love that Avatar! I am glad that you are still with the class. I like the work that you have done here. I think I would like to see you attempt to eliminate all of the hard edges (the lines)--very nice work! :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
12-20-2004, 02:44 AM

Jay, thanks for the extension! Things are pretty busy right now here so I haven't even started my tree yet. Should be able to post it this week though. (Though I just did a different kind of tree for the bran tub!)

I wish I had time to comment on all the trees posted - hopefully after Christmas when things slow down, I'll be able to catch up on the commenting. Or start from scratch.

Ann, hope you're feeling better!!!

Jay, hope things slow down for you, too.

Deb

idcrisis55
12-20-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi Everyone :wave:

Thanks for extending the class Jay, maybe I will get to finish the tree too.

Sultry your tree still looks great :)

Hi Judi, hope you got all your shopping done :)

Michelle, that is a beauty of a tree already and like the addition of the squirrel

Cathie, sorry about the delays you are having and hope you are at least enjoying your stay in Helena.

Metier, good start on your tree. I like the interesting shapes and that it is different. To soften those hard edges you can take a kneaded eraser and lightly press or even a q-tip will soften them. I would suggest adding some darker values along the shadow side of the tree trunk and limbs. Overall though I do like your tree!

Hi Deb, hope you are back with us soon :)

sultry
12-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Morning everyone, :wave:

Geesh its 9 degrees here and the snow is covering my car. :( I am not used to this weather at all (being from the West Coast). Not sure if I am going to survive this East Coast since I am a desert cat.

Hi Ann hope you feel better and can work on your tree.

Thank you Judi, when do we see a update of your tree and grand daughter I am looking forward to it. :)

Hi Deb, cannot wait to see your tree. :)

CJ I hope you have a safe trip home and I am sorry about your delay. :(

How cute the squirrel is I see them outside the office window all day long. :) Good idea to put one in your tree Michele.

Metier, great tree and good to see your here with us still :). If you want to get rid of those hard lines just do some slinkys inside your tree.

mhimeswc
12-20-2004, 09:28 AM
I did some more work on this today.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2004/20035-tree2.jpg

JayD
12-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Michelle, that is awesome!!!

sultry
12-20-2004, 09:40 AM
It is coming along nicely Michelle :) sorry for misspelling your name btw.

mhimeswc
12-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Thanks Ann, JayD and Sultry. Not bad for someone who freaked when she saw the photo and thought no way could I possibly do this. I really enjoyed this one, and I'm glad I got it in because I know I will be really busy this week with Christmas preparations.

Michelle

idcrisis55
12-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Michelle, that is beautiful work on that tree. Very artistic which adds to its appeal.

Attached is an update on my tree. Still have lots of work to do with the darks, shading, etc.

sultry
12-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Ohhh Ann the way your drawing this tree makes we want to climb it. :) I see a branch I think I can reach and another to hop over to.

I am not sure of what is in the tree yet...but is it a frog? Sorry if it is not.

Judi1957
12-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Michelle and Ann,
I love the squirrel and frog!

Sultry,
Do not have an update on my drawing. :( It has just sat there for days now. I had the WC Virtual Bran Tubby project-exchange that needs to be in by end of today to finish, so that (besides shopping) had priority.
I should update tomorrow (or Wednesday). :D

mhimeswc
12-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Great job on your tree too, Ann! You have a wonderful arrangement of branches there. I had trouble with that, and some of mine don't seem to make sense.

How did your frog get way up there?

Only one of those tadpoles that my grandkids brought with them over Thanksgiving made it to frog - and they will be bringing "Froggy" with them again when they come up for Christmas. Hard to get sitters for your "pets" sometimes.

Michelle

vparra
12-20-2004, 12:22 PM
What creative trees! This looks like a very fun class! While I understand the necessity for basics trees are so much more fun than ellipses, circles, cubes and spirals.

JayD I've been following some of your basic 101 classes on my own but haven't posted anything because I can't always make the weekly commitment to meet your deadlines [I'm still on perspective' but just wanted to give you a public THANK YOU!!! for what you are trying to do here.

Virginia :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Virginia,
Welcome to the Class! :wave: :wave:

All classes are still being looked at as everyone goes at different paces due to their schedules, etc. When you post, Your work will be looked at. There really are no deadlines. So post away (in the class that it belongs)!

idcrisis55
12-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Anne-Marie, thanks for the message from Madeleine :)

Thanks Sultry, I loved climbing when I was young too. Felt like such an explorer lol.

Hi Judi, thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to seeing your updates when you get a chance :)

Hi Michelle, I thought your tree looked perfect. The branches look like they make sense to me :) lol That frog is mighty adventurous, eh! How cool so you will have a real one to sketch and feed over Christmas!

Hi Vparra, maybe you will want to post along with us sometime soon :)

Here I hope is my final unless you all see something that could be improved???

sultry
12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Ohh Ann it looks great :clap: I do not see anything it needs except your signature :)

Judi I am waiting on pins & needles lol

Welcome Virginia, I 2nd what Judi said, Jay has the classes for us to work at our own pace. You can turn in a class project anytime because he and alot of us go back and check the prior class threads.

He is not looking for speed in your work, he is looking for your artist eye to see more. In other words, he is looking at your assignments to see if you learned something new because you saw it.

& remember we are all Jay's 2005 101ers :clap: glad to have you aboard. :)

edited to add the cougar for Judi ( its in the ugly stage because I am trying to keep my shapes blocked in & I have just started to make the fur look better). The cougar is for my sister in law. lol but will be a after Xmas present I fear. :(

Mary Woodul
12-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Good morning class, and JayD, thank you for extending the date another week. I got back late last night and came back with my son while my husband had to stay a the ranch and I left my drawing in his pick up, but he will be back later so I'll post it this afternoon. We are leaving tomorrow but I'll get back to you all later.

Lisa, that is so clever and different, I love it.

Sultry - I'm happy for you that you got to chat with your daughter. Your tree is very mythical and your buffalos are looking great as is the expression of the ancestor.

Cathie, sorry about you travel set backs, but I guess it is nice once in a while to have a good excuse for being late to work. Enjoy yourself. :D

Hi Dave, hope you had a nice birthday.

Michelle your tree is fantastic, I love the subtle shading in it and the squirrel looks keen.

Metier- Those are nice shadings and shadows in you exercise.

Hi Deb, ((((we miss you)))).

Ann your tree is monumental and I love the turning of the branch on the right side.

Hi Judi, how ya doing? :wave:

Virginia, you should join us, you will have a lot of fun. :cat:

I'll be back later and post my progress or finish it, if my husband comes back on time.

idcrisis55
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks Sultry and Mary :)

Looking forward to your updated tree Mary. Wishing you a safe trip too and a Merry Christmas!

Mary Woodul
12-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi Ann, well I got my tree back but I don't know if it is finished or not yet, I'll post it anyway and work on it when I come back on the 26th.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and send you all my best wishes and hugs. :wave:

JayD
12-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Vparra, thank you for the kind words--if you do find the time please feel free to jump in. Again, thank you.

Sults--I am assuming that you are going to be putting the cat in a tree? :evil: in order to make it part of the class project. :evil:

Ann, I am so loving that tree--bring it home with a few more values. You guys are really keeping me from chopping this old geezer down. :D

JayD
12-20-2004, 06:58 PM
mary, it needs a touch of irony--try putting in a bird up and the behind the cat looking down at him. :)

idcrisis55
12-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Hi Mary, you have some good darks going on the viewer's left side of the tree and would like to see more in the limbs on the right to give them more form. You are so close and maybe you will be thinking about this a bit while on your trip. :D The same back to you and yours and a safe trip too :)

Thanks Jay, so more values, hmmmm.

sultry
12-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Jay Sults--I am assuming that you are going to be putting the cat in a tree? in order to make it part of the class project.

I could Jay but it will take longer than a week to complete :( I am not spending as much time on my sketching as would like to.

lol, yeah a bird over the cat head would be cute. Merry Christmas Mary have a wonderful time. :)

Judi hope you got to work on your tree. :)

SILKNSATIN
12-20-2004, 08:31 PM
I been enjoying scrolling through how far this has come.You all are fantastic :clap:

Mary Woodul
12-20-2004, 08:46 PM
OK JayD I'll try that, I'll take it with me. Thank you Ann and Sultry, nice to see you Bon. Take care you all, and have a Merry Christmas. :wave:

mhimeswc
12-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Good job on the tree so far, Mary. Your branches look really good. I love the cat - she looks so comfy up there.

Michelle

Cathie Jones
12-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Wow! It must be getting close to Christmas or something . . . this is the quietest day I've ever seen in the Basic threads.

We got home about midnight last night, got up at 5:30 a.m. and went to work, tried really hard to stay awake all day :eek: and finally have a minute to scan the tree. Remember, I didn't have the photo with me when I started this on the plane, so I don't think it looks like the lesson tree (I'm afraid to compare!).

There should be some time for drawing later this week, so tell me if you think it needs more . . . or less . . . of anything. It's sooooo good to be home!

Judi1957
12-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Evening all :wave:

Here is Stage 3 of 'Marie in a Tree'
I'll do Marie tomorrow and the next day if needed plus C and C after you all review and comment/correct.

mhimeswc
12-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Cathie, I'm amazed at how good your memory was. Your tree looks very close to the photo. I don't think I would have been able to do that.

Michelle

Judi1957
12-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Oops, double post.

Judi1957
12-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Evening again,
(can't sleep :( )

So I thought I would go back a couple of pages thru the tread and read the latest posts. Sorry I have not been too active here the past week or so. But I think I'm pretty well done and ready for Christmas, except for a couple of things. Whew!!!! Dave you are right, it is a marathon!

JayD, :wave:

Is Blah still with us? :confused:

Dave, Hope you and Sarah had great birthdays! :D

Ann, I assume you are all recovered? I really think your tree really looks grand. The branch on the left in the background really pulls back away from the tree. Great work! :clap: I haven't been able to accomplish that yet. Is there something in the tree in the upper right? I am having a hard time seeing (tired old eyes).

Sultry, I really like the look you have here! :clap: It seems stormy and eerie to me. The cougar is coming along great too!

Lisa, I love your tree fairy. Wow! You do very well outside the box! :clap:

Meiter, How do you make an avatar like that? :confused: I am tired of mine and would like to do something different. Can you make him run backwards? :D
Looking forward to your next post without the hard likes. Good shadowing!

Michelle, You have really also succeeded in making your branches receed and come forward. :clap: Again, cute squirrel!

Mary, :wave: I like your cat as well as the tree. :clap: Are you going to add the bird? I thought you were away, glad you are back!

Gina, haven't seen you for a while either. :wave:

If I missed anyone, I apologize, but I'm going to bed.

Also, want to submit this all as my card toall of you for the holiday season. Please excuse the slight blurriness. May you keep him in your heart, and I wish you all the best for your holidays and always. You are all such a great group and it is such a pleasure to be here. The post is actually a picture I did for my Mom but it is good for the season.

mothsailor
12-22-2004, 02:40 AM
Good morning everyone!

Thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday...I did have a very good day! Plus, my DW gave me a scanner, so the quality of my posts should improve! :)

Thanks for the lovely card Judi! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too. Your tree is lovely, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Marie completed.

Mary, your tree and cat look great.

Ann, hope you are fully recovered now.

CJ, glad you made it home safely. Reminds me of some of the "interesting" journeys I've had! Like the time I used a company called "Air Hitch" to get from London to New York! :mad: I won't bore you with the details, but it involved several nights in Shannon Airport and a week cycling round County Clare in Ireland! And I ended up in Philadelphia!! Your tree is great, especially considering you didn't have the picture to work from! I wonder if you could work on getting the branches to look a bit more solid? A bit more light and shade would help! I like the texture of the bark, though.

Hope I didn't miss anyone out.

idcrisis55
12-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Cathie, glad you made it home safely. For not having the photo with you to use as reference you did a pretty good job on your tree. I like the texture you achieved. My suggestion would be to see where your light source is then darken the values and in the shadow areas to give the tree more shape and character. Also extending some of the twigs to longer lengths would give more variety.

Judi, your tree is looking great. I love those darks which made the light gleam. That is a beautiful card and so glad you shared it with us. There is a tree frog on the dark branch, but the upper right area I'll have to check out what you are referring to.

Hi Dave :wave: Hope you had an enjoyable Birthday. Thanks, I feel so much better I would click my heels together if I could lol.

Hi Michelle :wave:

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays,

Judi1957
12-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Morning all!

Dave thanks for the comment on the tree.

I missed you CJ, I knew I missed someone!
So you are back from your trip safe and sound. Hope you are all rested up now.

Your tree is looking good! :clap: What have you added there?
You do have a good memory to draw the tree as you have!

I think your tree just needs some more values. Add some darks and midtones to portray the roundness of the cylindrical branches and trunk, and how the branches receed and come forward...go back and study the ref. I know you did not have it with you and it is very difficult to imagine without the ref. For the bark, I think if you do the darkest recess first, then fade out, putting the mid tone adjacent to it, then use the lightest pencil you are using as a light wash over that. I found this to be so-o-o-o time consuming but it seemed to work for the bark. Look at the closest section of bark in the reference pic and you will see the varied tones of grey/black. Also notice how the bark 'closest' to you is bigger as in the spacing between darks, because the bark will be a larger scale here as the bark in the branches furtherest away are more small. Hope this make sense, I am not the best 'splainer. :D Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Of to work soon, must get ready.

Cathie Jones
12-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Thank you, Dave, Judi, Michelle and Ann. Your trees are looking AWESOME! Hope I can get mine up to par. You've made some very good suggestions that I will try to follow.

We definitely had an adventure. The night at "Jorgenson's Happy 8 Motel, Hospice and Restaurant" in Helena was something I wouldn't care to repeat. My allergies are still kicking up from the "Non-Smoking" room we were in - smelled like you wouldn't believe!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_do_not_disturb
Anyway, we got to bed early last night and are well rested now and ready to take on the rest of the week. And, of course, yesterday having been Winter Solstice, I am a happy camper because the days will start getting longer again.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_hammock.gif
Judi, your card is amazing. You are so talented! And thank you for the good wishes - Merry Christmas!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_elf_presents

JayD
12-22-2004, 09:36 AM
CJ--that tree is looking real spiffy--I have been watching your drawing with great interest in the class and it seems to me that your drawing is a bit timid--don't be afraid to experiment--let loose with your obvious talent. Don't look at what others are drawing--look at the photo--then see if you can take it to a deeper level--hint--don't be afraid to play with the values. You are doing great--the drawing looks good--now its time to take off your booties and go sloshing barefoot through the mud puddles--have at it!

Judi, I am loving Marie in the Tree. I actually GAVE my daugther a tree on the property that was her's to climb around around--your picture brings back fond memories. She used to scare her mother with her monkey-like antics

OH BLAH---BLAH--are you out there? Are there trees in our future from you?

mhimeswc
12-22-2004, 10:20 AM
That's an awesome card, Judi. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle

Cathie Jones
12-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Interesting critique, JayD. I think I understand what you mean, and it probably comes from insecurity. I wouldn't say now that I can't draw, but I'm still not really comfortable with what I'm doing, and not able to just whip things out. It takes time and a lot of concentration. I'm hoping to get enough practice for it to be free and easy, but it hasn't happened yet.

I do look at what others do, not in an attempt to copy, but to try to figure out how things are done. Remember, I don't know many of the 'tricks of the trade' yet, and like to see how other people accomplish what we're after here.

If that's not what you meant by 'timid,' please 'splain . . . I'm listening . . . :D

JayD
12-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Timid refers to a hesitancy in your drawing--I think your draftsmanship is great but I don't see YOU in there. That is style and comes with practice--it wil occur naturally.

When you talk about "tricks"--I think when you rely on formulas you will end up mopping yourself into a corner. JD Hilberry is an author that you should check out to start--now the reason that I say this is because his book is a book of tricks--his "tricks", however, came as a result of painstaking research and experimentation. Edgar Degas was an artist to be sure but he experimented--he tried many methods to get what he wanted. Both artist FOUND their technique and in that discovery found their artist voice.

Don't knock your drawing--you are there--I want you to take it further and start playing a little--experiment--what will happen if I do this or what will happen if I do that.

Go back to your tree and look at it and then look at the photo reference--MAP out the various lines and the textures--see if you can articulate the patterns found in the tree's bark--climb the tree with your mind--look a the colors--think about how you would show them to us in black and white.

Using diffferent types of pencils is ok--but is it necessary--not always--you do have to keep in mind the following regarding the tree:

1. The bark is a series of flat plains and deep valleys

2. The light hits it brightest on the surface of the bark facing the sun

3. Toward the upper reaches of the cracks it is brighter--but the deeper that you go, the darker it will get--your different pencils will come in handy.

4. Do no rush your drawing--work the drawing in layers--and gradually build up the surface. Your picture will come.

5. The closer you are to an object the more defined the object will become.

6. Likewise, the further away an object is --the less defined it will be--in other words, it will fade into the distance.

Hope this helps.

PS--I have your book report picked out and I guarantee this will help you--I want yout do a book report and a demo on the following book:

Creating Realistic Textures in Pencil by JD Hillbery

I will want you to do a demo from the book of your choice.

You will be amazed at what you learn--good luck!

Cathie Jones
12-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Thank you, Jay. This is very helpful. Judi pm'd me with some helpful suggestions (and visual aids :D ) and that was also helpful. I have the next 4 days off and not a lot of Christmas plans, so I'll get back to it and, without the stress of travel, hope to do much better.

Have I told you that I love this 'class?'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_classroom.gif

JayD
12-22-2004, 09:51 PM
OH, but I am not through with you, CJ! :D Here is your goal--once you have done the book report and the demo--I am going to want you to sub one of the classes in the later part of the class series. The best way for you to learn is going to be for you to teach us a thing or two. this is WAY later in the class so do not panic.

Everybody encourage, CJ and give her lots of applauses--she can do it!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
12-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Oh-h-h-h-h yeh...CJ can do it!!!! :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
12-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Aright, we have had 2900 page views--I need more cheerleaders for CJ here folks--let's MOTIVATE!!!! Lurkers UNITE AND SHOW YOURSELVES!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
12-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Oh No! Somebody save me . . . . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_faint.gif

Oh, well, if we keep extending classes for extra weeks, I'll be old and grey by the end of this class (if I'm not already!) . . .

So I hope you guys know that it's now up to you to help be become a drawing pro capable of subbing!!! Heh Heh Heh . . . good luck to us all!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_rof.gif

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a book to order and a tree to kill.

mothsailor
12-23-2004, 04:42 AM
You can do it CJ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(I promise to be good when you are subbing! :angel: )

I've seen a lot of references to that book in this forum, so I'll be interested to read your comments. I don't know the book, but looking at his art has always made me think it must be too advanced for me!