MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2004/5946_redhat.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Red Hat
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
messing with some piece I saw on the web by Frank Duveneck

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
?? anything .. just trying to learn new tricks.

Mikey
12-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Wayne, a good exercise. I would raise the upper lip and bring that smile crease forward to the corner of the mouth as Frank's original.

Mikey

Michael-Ann
12-12-2004, 04:26 PM
I love the lighting you have captured here Wayne, and the red hat is wonderful!

Tamana
12-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Hm. Painting from the Web. I haven't thought of that one before. It is a good exercise - I like the greens & red.

Wayne Gaudon
12-13-2004, 08:07 AM
thanks Mickey, Michael-Ann, & Tamana

I agree Mickey, the lip should stick out a bit .. slight oversight on my part but more important I am learning what to look for. Thanks.

Esmeralinda
12-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Salut Wayne,

I always love red in a painting. The background and composition is very nice.
Ahhhhhhhh ! women in hats, I love !

Linda :wave:

earthbot1
12-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Good study...good to find inspiration from anything.

Gilberte
12-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I find it embarassing to critique our most industrious painter but ... either the nose is too important or the mouth too small and yes the ear looks somewhat stuck on. More, more red for the hat too, as intense as the red in the fishing scenery, here I only noticed it because of the title.

Still friends :) ?

Wayne Gaudon
12-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Thank you Linda, Earth, and Gilberte

LOL Gilberte .. it's only a little critique and that won't make me pack my brushes and go home. What I did lose was the translucent red because it was alla prima and not glazed. The under nose to lip ratio is out and the nose is a little wider but not a whole lot bigger. The ear, well, it's similar to the painting for that time but could be a whole lot better. I should mention that when I do after someone I don't try to copy it but rather make a rendering that is close so I can learn how they apply their color.

So, blast away. I can take it.

later,