View Full Version : "Waiting" and untitled one

WeiQi
12-12-2004, 12:36 PM
"Waiting"
oil/plywood 12x10

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2004/45642-apples3a.jpg

detail:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2004/45642-apples3det.jpg

Not sure about the title for this one. "Grounded" maybe?
oil/burlap 22x30
What's the difference between burlap and jute canvas? Is it that "jute canvas" sounds prettier?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2004/45642-birds.jpg

My husband's reaction: "Oh... so, you are back to your "traffic light palette"?" :D

WV.Artistry
12-12-2004, 01:13 PM

Tamana
12-12-2004, 02:45 PM
So...when you prove a point you go for the two-point free shot nothing but net, no? :wink2:

Love your palette, as usual. Thick, rich paintwork in a loose application which ties up the design tightly. Your lightsource is spot on in the first. I like the intangibles that the imagination fills in like a heiroglyphic language. The design is set like a stage awaiting the players of a season of life.

I don't particularly like the title "Grounded" for the second (just seems "done too much already or something"), but really have nothing to offer currently as an alternative. I really like the sublte outline of the musical note outside the cage. The design as a whole is striking and thought-provoking; why DO we have caged animals when we go about our own pleasures? Be those pleasures arting, reading, loving and so forth - a bird in cage hardly contributes to this necessity except for _________?

I really love the spiral design knees in this one; that's a WeiQi recognizable for sure. Again, light source spot on, palette rich and deeply glowing like an old master's touch.

Stop means go
Green means stop
Caution means both
depending on your choice

Break all the rules with that brush.
Point proven, he married you, no? ;)

MountainSong
12-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Now this is how to make a still life lively! :D

Your textures are yummy and make me taste tart Green Apples, your warm colors bring the ripe sweet taste of late Harvest reds to the tongue.

I like your stop light pallete!!!

arourapope
12-12-2004, 07:35 PM
I have quietly decided you're brilliant.

ordie4
12-13-2004, 10:03 AM
fruitastic.

really like these.
texture and colors
impressive

themanda
12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
i always love your work. you must paint faster! there should be more of this in the world!

love her knees. excellent knees.

WeiQi
12-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Grand Quintile, thank you for looking :)

Tamana, uh-oh... right, it was not double dare and I could get away with just one... :D
Thank you for taking time to comment! Do not like "Grounded" either, just can't come up with anything better, oh well, will think about it. Tam, the music sign was not intentional! actually could not see it myself until you pointed it out :)
The idea was somewhat like "we cage ourselves", just did not want the window frame look more like bars, it seemed too much, too obvious... Was playing with the idea of repeating the bird cage outlines in the shape of the window, maybe that would work better?

Mountain Song, thank you! You've got such a beautiful way with words, now it looks tasty to me :)

Aurora, thank you dearly, coming from you - it's a HUGE compliment!

Ordie, thank you very much! Have to remember this word, love it :)

Themanda, thanks muchly! past couple of months were very hectic. Late fall is a tough time of year for gaming companies, 50-60 hrs work weeks, stress and all that. Husband's surgery. Kids grades dropping - lack of attention I'm sure. Was running around like a crazy chicken and did not have much time and energy for painting (which adds to the frustration). I've been thinking about switching to part-time, just can't do it right now. On the bright side - will get 10 days off for Christmas, need to make sure I have enough canvases prepared :D

Now, when I look at them on the screen... it seems I got carried away with the texture on the light part of the still life, it's way too busy. Need to simplify it a bit and get rid of those yellow spots, looks like they came straight out of the tube. Not good. Also, don't like the red line on the right part the window, it's not that noticeable in RL, but still need to calm it down.
As for the girl... Her right eye pops out a bit, oops. Strongly dislike her face, repainted it 4 or 5 times, it went from odd to cute to ugly to cute again, could not catch the right expression, and now it's kind of non-descriptive. I think I leave it as it is, just fix the eye, I'm too tired of it. Oh, and the bird needs more love.
Did I miss something big?

debbi_carr
12-20-2004, 07:45 PM
God, this is awesome. How can colour conjure up such emotion! your palette is so RIGHT. tell your husband you have a fan of the amber palette. what size is it? oh, 12x 10. and how much does it cost...if i have enough money i would like to buy the only still life i have seen thus far and liked.

WeiQi
12-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Debbi, lol :D I'm glad you liked it.
Remember you posted your dream painting? With a woman and a bird? This caged thingy is the one I was talking about back then.

debbi_carr
12-22-2004, 01:14 PM
oooh, i remember! you did tell me that you were working on something similar! so are you putting together a show with all these paintings?

it'sALLart
02-23-2005, 08:54 AM
i wasnt visitng the board much those weeks and missed this... had to tell you that i love the 2nd one. pure and simply GREAT. would love to stroll thru a show of yours.

PS: hope you don't really listen to that husband, yur palette is wondrous!

cagathoc
02-23-2005, 09:07 AM
OMG This is incredibly gorgeous~! What a treat.

ashling
02-23-2005, 09:26 AM
*swoon*swoon*
i missed these then & i nearly missed them now
thank you for bringing em back :D
i love your paint handling & colors
i'll come cook & clean for you
how many kids have you got, ive got 5
mmmm, dunno, sounds like that mite be a holocaust
in the making, like my world, but i wood do it
just to spend time talking and painting & crying & laughing
i couldnt help notice wot tamana said about
green being stop & red being go
i get very confused at traffic lights sometimes
for that very reason & i thort i was just mental
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
will you marry me ......... :D LOL
im serious *wink*wink*

jnet11
02-23-2005, 10:00 AM
the reading lady fills me with delight
she is glowing beautifully
and fills the space so well
the bird i wish was as thick and weighty as she
but of course i wouldn't change a thing!
maybe the bird needs to be light

Spyderbabe
02-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I knew what I wanted to say but I had to go look the word up:

Anthropomorphism: is the attribution of human characteristics to inanimate objects

That's "Waiting"... we're the apples, just waiting to go.

The face on "Grounded" is classically beautiful. The caged bird is happier with more to sing about than our learned lady.

Such powerful work.

SanDL
02-23-2005, 06:09 PM
The untitled one is my favorite. Beautiful.

ejfarrae
02-23-2005, 10:15 PM
very impressive. i especially like the colors and the tight yet nicely balanced composition of the secon one.
really solid.

bbbilly1326
02-23-2005, 10:47 PM
these are both beautiful, but the untitled one is my favorite as well, total charm, innocence and beauty.

there's something about it that reminds me of the purity of the paintings of the Virgin by some of the old masters, can't tell if it's a man or woman, but doesn't matter really.

as others have said, your handling of paint and light is enviable...sorry you can't do it full time...if life were just...

WeiQi
02-24-2005, 02:00 AM
Oh my... Thanks very much for all your kind words! :)

Debbi, it'sALLart - nope, no show, not ready for anything like that yet.
cag - ooo... thank you!
ashling - wow, i'll seriously think about it :)
jnet - yes, the bird looks terrible wrong, and i still did not do anything about it. I will.
Spyderbabe, SanDL, ejfarrae, Billy - thank you so much!

It's funny this thread came back - just last Friday i DID ask for part time. We are still working on the details, but i hope it will turn out alright.