PDA

View Full Version : current series

idylbrush
12-12-2004, 09:55 AM
I am currently working on a series titled The Spirit Rising. The attached is one piece from the series. Would like to have some thoughts on this please. Other works from the series are available on my website.

This one is titled: Against all Odds, the Energy Expands to Fill the Spirit
Size: 40X20"
Medium: Acrylic and glass bead on stretched canvas

wiscojaydub
12-12-2004, 10:08 AM
It looks like red tornado that had just ripped through a neigborhood of houses with orange colored roofs. It looks neat though! :) jaydub :wave:

Smileawhyl
12-12-2004, 12:51 PM
hmmm . . . I'd like to see some detail on this one, especially to see the glass beading detail.

I looked at your website and find myself impressed by much of what I saw. My favorite piece, "When two shall meet," encompasses a brilliant focal stroke structure and the echo of what I would interpret to be egos of the meeting squares.

Obviously you are learned in your crafting of statement upon canvas.

Regarding this particular image, I think details would help me better understand it. From what I can see here, I don't quite believe the image as titled — energy expanding to fill the spirit. The shape seems quite full already and stands as a formidable conquerer of the less defined, bleakly ravaged looking landscape upon which it spins. I could be missing something from not seeing it up close. But the gray/black background seems a bit haphazard as I can see it here.

The website has some beautiful work. Thanks for posting. I would love to see more.

idylbrush
12-12-2004, 03:16 PM
hmmm . . . I'd like to see some detail on this one, especially to see the glass beading detail.

The website has some beautiful work. Thanks for posting. I would love to see more.

see thumbnails for several details. Thank you for your thoughts and insights.

Smileawhyl
12-12-2004, 05:44 PM
WoW! I've never seen seed beads used for texture in a painting. I can't even figure how you'd get the little boogers to cooperate. But it is really interesting!

Great texture finesse with the dissolving squares. Like buttery wisps of reality. And just the fragments of stroke contained in the thumbnails tell me you've got a confident command of a loaded brush.

This particular piece still misses with me, but I've seen many more which hit on your website. I hope you spend more time here in the ab/con forum. The work is both energetic and thoughtful. Thanks for the thumbnails. It has been a pleasure to see this up close.

MountainSong
12-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Welcome and I'm glad you’re sharing your work with us. :) I'd like to see more of it and am going to go to your website to do so, as I just can't seem to get the sense of this painting from the digital pics of it here.

idylbrush
12-12-2004, 09:55 PM
This is from the same series, it may help round out the over all.

Thank you for your insights and thoughts.

Smileawhyl
12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Me likey this freaky! Did you use a brush or some type of drip with this in acrylics? The lines are so delicate. I usually see that type of response from enamels.

Tamana
12-12-2004, 10:21 PM
The latter's depth is great...like a black hole in space. The former seems incohesive to me for some reason.

Good color combo and use of material integration, however. Welcome to the basement.

MountainSong
12-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Okay! This one is hittin' it!!
Great space usage and composition, excellent color balance and Wonderful use of lines! :D
The overall feel of the work is peaceful yet energized.

idylbrush
12-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Me likey this freaky! Did you use a brush or some type of drip with this in acrylics? The lines are so delicate. I usually see that type of response from enamels.

the fine lines are created with a one ounce bottle and a silk painters application tip (3, 5, or 7). I also used some of the interference colors, metallics and the hard to find Panspectra colors. Something I have found really works for me in the fine detail area.

These are two of some 128 images in the series so far. Some are successful while others are not nearly as successful as I would like.