PDA

View Full Version : le bonheur de ce monde...?

Frida200
12-10-2004, 03:16 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-10-2004/52198_Margaita_s_parents_WC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: le bonheur de ce monde...?
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These two people raised and loved 15 children. They maintained a very close and loving relationship all their life and were the 'good heart' of their entire village in Puerto Rico in which they fed the poor and looked after the sick. Truly amazing life.
I never had the honor to meet them, but spent hours and hours listening to stories from their lives, told by one of their daughters.
The names you see (pic not very good) are the names of their children.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything. colors? background? composition? done???

LisaArt
12-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Claudia, What heart warming story and painting too...
I like the names of the children on the canvas, a great idea.
Background colour very well suited
Faces and colour very well done. You have captured their giving and loving spirit.
I say it is finished..

Frida200
12-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks Lisa! :)

I just found a reference picture. Didn't think I had it, quality isn't good, but here it is. For better critiqueing... (LOL... does that word exist???).
As you can see now, her face isn't too good. Eye is too white (inside), and too little shadows around it. Anything else you can see that's bad or could be improved? Please?

Claudia

Tamana
12-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Claudia --

You've done wonderfully in capturing their spirit of love and commitment one to the other and both to the world surrounding them. It's a very rare thing (thus the divorce rate et al) when you meet someone who shares your life's goal. You don't look at one another for you wouldn't see the world. You don't look or walk away from each other or you wouldn't see the dream or goal. You're side x side. You look together in the same direction you walk and you see the same thing. You share the same desire, the same dream and you live it with and through each other separately and together.

This is what you've captured beautifully. I've always believe in my heart that if all people could or would just be honest in the beginning and not be afraid to let go and lose something that doesn't conform to your dreams for something that will...the world, or couples, or marriage would be such a beautiful partnership (vs. dictator/ownership) - which I believe was it's intent.
So many instead try so hard to conform for those they love that they end up going through life until their so tired and weary they die within themselves and become the living dead (as demonstrated beatuifully in Munch's Dance of Life) - or they choose to leave to taste and live that dream before they die.

It's a beautiful tribute to them, to love, and to life from just hearing their story, Claudia. Could you imagine meeting them? :)

Look how individually strong they are together.

Frida200
12-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Thank you Tam, for those wonderful words.
I was deeply, deeply impressed by those two faces, and the love and respect and calm happiness they show.
I am very glad it shines through in the painting as well. :)

Claudia

Dhuot
12-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Le bonheur de ce monde !!??....tient tient ??!!

Claudia, how generous of you, to paint such generous/loving people !!

Iris ?? nice name !!

You know, I like the yellow tone flesh.

wow, they are great..........hum

Daniel

Gilberte
12-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Splendid tribute Claudia ! If I've counted correctly there were 12 boys and 3 girls ... judging by their names. What courage these people had to feed, dress and educated such a big family. My mother was the eldest girl in a family of 17 children and I remember sweetly the stories she told me of her girlhood. When the last was born she was 17 and she refused to walk her little sister in its pram out in the streets saying "people will think it's mine ..."
One of her brothers is till living, 93 years old now.

Lovely idea of incorporating the names in the painting. Well done ! You could easily add some shadow around the mama's eyes and maybe make the shirt turn around the man's neck. Nothing important really .........

C'est vraiment "le bonheur de ce monde" en toute simplicité ... merveilleux !

katelynalain
12-11-2004, 03:34 PM
hi claudia,
i think you are doing a fabulous job..and what a wonderful heartwarming subject. i would double check the area under her earlobe as right now it looks like a small bulge..define the earing? also..if it were mine i might try to darken up some of the background on the left side to bring more depth and purpose to the area surrounding his lower hair and back. i would also perhaps add some subtle lines or shadows of a collar in that white space that seems a little too white. but of course you can take my comments or leave them..i'm not sure the idea that you originally had and its also looking really great as is too. just some things to think about. i can see the 'frida' influence here as well..

Frida200
12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Daniel: That yellow is nice, ey? I had a great time with the skin tones... because, since I had sent off all my colors and paintbrushes and things, I had to buy it all new, so I only got ultramarine, yellow and crimson (and white), and mixed and mixed and mixed... sooo many nice colors appeared! And they're all in there. I had a lot of fun with that yellowish.

Gilberte: "C'est vraiment "le bonheur de ce monde" en toute simplicité ... merveilleux !" sigh! :)

Katelyn: Yep, earring is done already, I had to run off to the store to get the pics on CD, so I had no time to wait for that. But thanks for pointing it out! Same with the shirt, as Gilberte mentioned, too - I will do that. You're very right. About the corner, though...
I agree with you, totally, and I, too, feel that it could need some more depth, and that darkening the left lower side would work great. But here's my problem: I really really like that salmon colored spot down there... (see attachment). I do not want to lose it, and I don't know how to save it when I darken that corner... any ideas???

Am I slipping into a WIP thing here? Not my intention! :) But this painting is MUY IMPORTANTE...

Thank you all, I really appreciate your comments!!!

Mikey
12-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Claudia,

Isn't it true that limited means often cause us to expand in others areas of creativity. Here you have show a couple I could truly honour and respect.

Mikey