PDA

View Full Version : Bee Tops--What do you think of these?

Mary Jo Wolf
12-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi everyone.
I'm a newbie, who has been doing glass for about ten months. I make lampwork glass tops on handmade wooden knitting needles. Here is a picture of my last shipment to a customer. I'm looking for your input..since I've never had a class.

Oh yes, this is the first time I've worked with an image...hope it works.
Bead Safe, Mary jo

JayneM
12-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Those are great-I love the bees.........

Mary Jo Wolf
12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jayne M :wave:

DebbieSue
12-10-2004, 11:20 AM
I think they're great! Very colorful too! Thanks for sharing them.... :clap:

Debbie

CosmicGW
12-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Those are really pretty - how do you make them and then attach them?

Becky

!ngridh
12-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Those are lovely! they should be a hit!!! :clap:

Lenda
12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi Mary Jo! I've moved you to the Showcase so that more people can see your work.

I think they're fabulous!! Very good job on the little tops. :D

InsanityBeader
12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Bright and Cheerful! I would just love to see more of a "birds eye" view :)

Ignuss-Fatuus
12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Very Cute! I bet they are a great seller for yeah!
I know when I was making glass deocrative needles and stuff people just lvoed em and people requested beaded tops to needles all the time :) They are just so fun to make! :) hehe Id love to see more!
karin

ValorieCox
12-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Fantastic! :clap: I love them, great color, shapes and clever designs...keep going! Val

FiredDesires
12-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Mary Jo.......how darling and oh so clever....there is always a big bruhaha about people copying........so let me be the first to say "I'm" stealing this idea!!! I like to knit and need to "fancy up" my knitting needles. :cat:

Bubbyanne
12-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi Mary jo, :wave:
Those are very nice. :clap: I too would like a birds eye view if you could and I'd also like to see a bigger picture of the ones in your avatar.

I have made bead knitted purses using the 000 or 0000 size knitting needles. Have you made any for needles that small?

You're doing good, keep it up!

Mary Jo Wolf
12-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi Everyone :wave:

Thanks for the complements. I sell the sets to retail yarn shops, and take pictures before I ship them, and they are on my web site, maryjos.net.

As for stealing..really these are original thought...I am a knitter who took up lampwork to decorate knitting needles, when the knitters ran out of needles last January. I handmake all the needles...boy, is that alot of work..sanding..sanding..sanding, and my hands become numb, so that I have to alternate days with beading and sanding.

as..small size needles...I have made some beads for a wonderful knitting designer in Denmark, Vivian Hoxbro, (who makes fab stuff, look at viv.com) and put them on small needles for her knitting. And, I make my own decorated needles to knit with, however, they are funky, not for sale. It's fun to make stuff for yourself.

Have fun :wave:

snootyvixen
12-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Those are really, really cute! I'm off to your website to look at more!

Vikki

Girlie~O~
12-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Those are darling, MaryJo! I just got into knitting again, how much do you sell them for? thanks:)

Mary Jo Wolf
12-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Thank you for your responses.

Ah..how do I attach them to the needles?..I form the glass head on a mandrel, cut off the mandrel, drill a hole in the needle, and secure with gorilla glue

how much?..about 20 to 25 per pair wholesale, and knit shops sell them for 35 to 50 per pair. But, please don't steal my market..pretty! this is my food, because my husband is in the zone between no job and pending disability claim/s...thanks!

one of my things, is that I am a knitter, and I hand shape each point, so that it works better for knitting.

Happy beading and have fun, Mary Jo :wave:

snootyvixen
12-11-2004, 12:06 AM
HOOOOOOOOLD UP!!!

Before anyone goes getting bent out of shape here, there are already a few beadmakers on WetCanvas! (and therefore more that we don't know of out in the "real world") who are making glass topped knitting needles.

Nonie and Cathie spring to mind, I think maybe Leslie Videki also? Then Karin, Sheryl (booger), and I'm sure there are others!

Vikki
(hoping no-ones going to get their knickers in a knot over this!)

Lori Peterson
12-11-2004, 06:06 PM
They are very, very nice, Mary Jo, but like Vikki said, it's being done and has been done by others. I always cringe when anyone says "my signature design" or "my original idea" as it has usually been thought of and done before. I don't think anyone is out to steal your concept, Mary Jo, but I would be careful to claim an idea that isn't yours to claim.

That said, I think the bees are completely adorable and I absolutely love them. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

toozygoot
12-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Mary Jo - I have just started knitting again and I love the idea of your needle tops! Even tho' there are some out there already making these, I bet there are plenty of stores who would love to buy these from you. At least I am hoping so! Best of luck with your sales! If you can get the name of a yarn distributor from a store, then you could widen your market. Maybe you've already looked into that. Just throwing it out there. You've done a wonder job with these!

pat

JameyLynn
12-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Mary Jo, I'm a knitter, but I've never used wood needles. What type of finish could you put on those that would hold up and won't come off on someones yarn, or just plain wear off? I "inheirated" all my needles from my mom, but they are all metal or plastic. I can't imagine wood holding up. But it can?? I'm really curious now.