PDA

View Full Version : Balancing the Brugmansia

haaf
12-10-2004, 07:45 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-10-2004/32915_balancing_the_brugmansia.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-10-2004/32915_blow_up_btb.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-10-2004/32915_total_BTB.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Balancing the Brugmansia
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 53x60 cm 21x24 inch
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
getting used to and exploring acrylics
and
just drawing away
fun

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything

LisaArt
12-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Hi Caroline,
Good use of Bold colour and shapes
Reds, pinks and greens a wonderful palette.
I enjoy this painting very much
Like your brugmansia... beautiful

jerryW
12-10-2004, 08:23 AM
my appreciation is very strong here
as if a new kandinsky were discovered
from when he was drinking with gaugin

earthbot1
12-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I like this very much. The negative spaces/color and posture of your figures all work together. Your dancers are full of charm....cute.

katelynalain
12-10-2004, 11:18 AM
they are the flowers with great personality. dainty beings dancing and alive. colours, composition lovely as usual. do you feel like you have fun things standing conspicuously on your head most of the time? their little feet pressing into the top of your hair? that's what i imagine. no one likes to tell you but they are always there..holding giant flowered pots or reclining comfortably. :D

ordie4
12-10-2004, 12:08 PM
my appreciation is very strong here
as if a new kandinsky were discovered
from when he was drinking with gaugin

high praise, well deserved

Gilberte
12-10-2004, 01:46 PM
I didn't know what to expect as "Brugmansia" sounds so mysterious in English.

This is gorgeous in composition and stylish as to the personages depicted.
Elegant and plush .............. you feel comfortable in zone. Definitely !

Michael-Ann
12-10-2004, 02:12 PM
This is beautiful Caroline! Blue dog, Devil's trumpet, gesture and body language of the tropical ladies, and that MARVELOUS CAROLINE COLOR...outstanding!!!

Spyderbabe
12-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Wonderful color shapes.... ruffles, flourishes, trumpet-ing summer.

Tamana
12-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Oh Caroline...it's so lovely. That pink sings so beautifully. Even more so from a distance. It's like you're watching unawares to them...this ritual they perform.

Ahhh the Brugmansia...such a mystical plant. Daturus...tree. Ancient and notorious for it's hallucinagin and aphrodisiac nature. Wonderful history accompanies this...so many varied stories from healing to spells to myths. You've captured the mystique surrounding it. I always heard it referred to as Angel's Trumpet.

They say there are no longer any wild species of this growing anywhere, that it's all cultivated now. How sad...I bet there is though in South America...hidden and protected somewhere secret and safe by the natives...who no doubt enjoy the benefit of such a powerfully beautiful gift of nature.

I don't know if you've read any of anthropologist Weston La Barre's accounts of the population of the "New World" by the natives....buy I have a tea receipe for it that Shamans used but never dared try it because of the warning that comes with it. Always wanted to though.

Wonderful thought-provoking piece indeed.

dornberg
12-10-2004, 09:34 PM
i like the green shapes.
i like the way objects of similar colors set up placement relations

Dhuot
12-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Hey !! I know that green.... :)

Caroline, another beauty !!!

That is some nice acrylics exploration. Did you draw before...I guess not.
And why acrylics ?? instead of oils ?? Cause you used oils before !!

You know, I really like the standing figure in the middle. She looks " free " with her arms ready to embrasse the whole of the world....

OH ! I really like YOUR dogs, but I don`t really like dogs....I like cats...

CIAO

Daniel

Artistanne
12-11-2004, 10:46 AM
i love everything about this...makes me feel like dancing
especially like the rust tones in the green you can really see in the close up

haaf
12-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone !
Lisa ..thanks for all yr praise, it was a nice job balancing the shapes out, first in form and later on with the colors, subtle differences but oh so important.
Jerry..a lot of honor, feels good though
Asimo..thanks, wish I could dance like that
katelyn..yes!! I do feel like that and I know they are there :D , that's why I love to drive my bright red Alfa Romeo Spider (in my dreams), easy getting in and out.
Ordie4..thanks and appreciate that
Gilberte..thanks and it's starting to feel like an old acquaintance, all things come back to me and together.
MA.. thank you my dear, yes it was time for pink again
Spyder..indeed summer, and all that created in the most foggiest grey soupy misty weather imaginable, .....we will escape it next week, hope to see some blue skies in Fla.
Tamana..thank you and yes that's how I feel about that plant, absolutely stunning. I never smoked it or made a brugmansia brew...sounds tempting :p . Again....a beautiful weave of words from you, merci bien
Bob..thank you for seeing that and guess that was the challenge
Daniel.. no planned work...acrylics...they work so fast, I still use oils for the canvaswork..(nothing beats the depth in the oil colors), some drawing loose with the brush,,maybe newt piece on paper I'll put some oils over the acrylics...who knows? Ilike dogs and cats?..not really.Cats and dogs are out of the house since I developed this really nasty allergy. In 1990 ,I found in Manilla a tiny little black cat on the middle of the road in front of our house. Almost dead , just bones and skin. We took care of him, named him Janssen(most common Dutch family name), he lived like a prince and grew up to be a sleek asian modelled cat(with a beerbelly). Back in the Netherlands, where I developed this allergy an aunt and uncle took him in and I just learned that he died a few months ago. He had a great life and travelled the world.
Anne..thank you and dance away I would say.
Caroline ;)

Dhuot
12-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Ok, I know I should use the " chat " thread, but pls let me go on.

Your cat Caroline, was very lucky to have found you. I was amazed to see in Netherland, SO many cats (pacha ) everywhere, coming and going from the cafés, restaurants and " fromageries ". They would sit on a stoole at a bar in Amsterdam , while I was eating. Broodje met kaas . wow . I love NL .

if I was dutch and had a cat there, I would name it Willem !!! :D

Tot ziens.............NL sigh :)

Wayne Gaudon
12-11-2004, 01:32 PM
beautiful .. right in season with the colors too. :D