PDA

View Full Version : The Dock

Anonymous
12-09-2004, 08:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2004/16557_Picture_017.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Dock
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Almost completed.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Something just does not sit right and I can't put my finger on it!

Frida200
12-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Something just does not sit right

... ???
It is just plain gorgeous to me. The palette is wonderful. And the lights on her hair - so beautiful.
I don't see anything that is not right!!!
Claudia

katelynalain
12-09-2004, 08:37 PM
wow! this is just so beautiful!! i could never paint like this but one thing that might be off: the dark posts on the left of the dock. the way i see it on the screen anyway..makes it look as though they do not recede in space correctly. the dark appears to cut into the light of the dock. i'm also left wondering where the straight shadow splitting the dock in half (coming towards us) is coming from. this doesnt really bother me but it is a question i cant seem to answer so its a little distracting. these are really nit pics as this is a FABULOUS painting. i'm so impressed. love the feel of the water and the figure. wonderful job...

Jim Updegraff
12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
That is very impressive. The backlighting on the figure and the light in the background especially so.

The only obvious thing I see is that you may have lost your linear perspective on the dock running across the picture. It gives the impression that the planking is not level but slopes uphill away from the viewer. Overall, however, very impressive.

Tamana
12-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Could this be D's beautiful "Untitled" Lady in White? ;)

I think the ramp is fine, especially if it's a floating one (staggered on many at the river myself)...so that would suffice for maybe the tad-bit of "off" regarding that. I do agree with Katelyn about the left poles, those are what caught my attention.

It's so lovely and naturally beautitul - like she's a magestic bird, Crane or Swan at that very moment of still that your eyes meet prior to her expanding wings carrying her off into the end of another day.

woodguy
12-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Well done! But since you are asking about what might be wrong, I can suggest two things that I notice. It is acually two "kisses" that bother me. One is the top of her head and the tree line, and the second is the green land mass on the viewers right touching the top of the post. The figure is very well done, especially with the backlighting :clap: Jim

Mikey
12-10-2004, 05:02 AM
A stunning painting no doubt, something Byron could have done. The choices seem very difficult to me. To ovecome the points Jim mentions, for example, would mean a higher viewpoint which I think might lead to further problems. I would buy this as it is.

Mikey

LisaArt
12-10-2004, 06:39 AM
Everything has been said regarding what might be off, I just wanted let you know that it is a stellar painting. The fading sunlight is marvelous in the entire painting. I would hang this on my wall. ;)

haaf
12-10-2004, 07:32 AM
good command on light.
a part of the left could be cropped imo.
summer evening sunset very well conveyed
C ;)

jerryW
12-10-2004, 08:27 AM
I think I like the close up cropped femmes in bathing suits (or nothing too) better than this long shot fashion mag tableu and pose, but at least it shows a lovely mix of nature setting and a favourite fatale.

Gilberte
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Most gracious painting (unqualified to speak differently) ... leaning towards the works of Anthony/aaasp ...

dornberg
12-10-2004, 09:38 PM
two different perspectives are well united by repeated shapes

Dhuot
12-10-2004, 10:44 PM
This is stunning. Could be Jack Vettriano !!! compliment :D

The only thing I could see, is the last post, the shade is not ( to me ) the same direction as the others. a bit off .

Probably easy to fix.......well painted...no no no, very well painted !!

Why anonymous ??

Cheers

HRobinson
12-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Hey Anon: It may just be a slight tonal anomaly because you show her right side as very dark while you show those shadows of the dock mooring logs much lighter. Also, as her placement is too centered, i.e., misplaced as a focal point, plus the fact that it seems like the vanishing point on those dock boards are falling behind us, your post-paint jitters just might be calmed with another stroke or 50.

I appreciated your color management in general, the sensitive aura you created and those wave effects. Best. -Harry